What's new

Actiontec & Motorola ethernet over coax (MOCA) - trouble with results

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Roveer

Occasional Visitor
I've got to bring ethernet to a indoor pool house just about 300 feet away from the main house. There is nice RG11 cable between the buildings and no easy way to pull ethernet cable, and with 300 feet being the limit, probably just over cat6 lenth. So I decided to get a pair of Actiontec MOCA 2.0 Bonded adapters.

I installed, they connected, they worked...

BUT

I iperf'd between two laptops (that when tested on wired ethernet give a result of 900+ mb/s) and only got ~350mb/s over the MOCA. I also tested on a small piece of RG6QS and got the exact same result

So I went out and bought a pair of Motorola MOCA adapters

Guess what - Exact same result.

Just for the heck of it I made a network share on one of the laptops and copied 4GB files from one side to the other (using both the Actiontec and the Motorola). For some strange reason the transfers were 80-100 MB/s in each direction. When I multiply that by 8 it's 640-800 mb/s which was what I was expecting.

Why would my iperf results be so much different than windows file copies? Not understanding the results here.

A bit of latency getting through the modems. There are several threads in here that give settings to use with iperf. Involves number of streams in parallel. What matters is the real world result, however. You can check the link rate by going into diagnostic mode with a browser.