What's new

Ad Blocker Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SpannMagoo

New Around Here
If I have Skynet and Diversion installed. Is Unbound needed or useful?

Hi L&LD,

Do you think i still need dnscrypt if i have unbound already?

I can't answer that question. I have never used DNSCrypt myself. What do you 'need' it for?

If you can set up unbound with DoT, DNSCrypt is not needed. If you want encrypted DNS, you may have to choose between unbound or not.

I am comfortable running Unbound on its own (making me my own authoritative DNS resolver). DoT or DNSCrypt is not a requirement for my network, yet.

Hi L&LD,

you dont need dnscrypt if you use Unbound like recursive resolver. It can’t make 'recursive queries' using encryption.

Hi L&LD,

Typically you use DNSCrypt to hide your DNS lookups from your ISP others for privacy reasons. When you run unbound you are running your own resolver, meaning you don't need to use DNSCrypt to connect to yourself, as you have all your lookups locally.

Yes, unbound does reach out to authority servers to get the final details, and that doesn't support any encrypted lookup.

So, you don't use DNSCrypt as you are not speaking out to an external DNS Resolver.

Yes, nuances, yes. :)

Excuse the question, what is the difference between Diversion and Skynet? I use Skynet, Diversion what is it for? Unbound what is it for? Sorry for the stupid questions

I installed Diversion, it looks great, Unbound what is it for?
Unbound is an alternative DNS resolver. It works as a recursive resolver, which means it queries all hostnames directly from the source instead of a public server like 1.1.1.1 or Google DNS.

Think of it like shopping for groceries. Most of us shop at the big local supermarket and buy everything in one store. The store collects data about your shopping habits and might sell that data to other companies. This is how you might think about using those public DNS servers.

Unbound does not use the centralized public DNS servers. It queries the individual authoritative name servers for every DNS query you make, so that no centralized server knows all your query habits. In the shopping analogy, instead of going to the supermarket, you buy directly from each food producer and buy vegetables from the original farmer. They each know what you buy from them, but they don’t know what you buy from the other producers.

Unbound is an alternative DNS resolver. It works as a recursive resolver, which means it queries all hostnames directly from the source instead of a public server like 1.1.1.1 or Google DNS.

Think of it like shopping for groceries. Most of us shop at the big local supermarket and buy everything in one store. The store collects data about your shopping habits and might sell that data to other companies. This is how you might think about using those public DNS servers.

Unbound does not use the centralized public DNS servers. It queries the individual authoritative name servers for every DNS query you make, so that no centralized server knows all your query habits. In the shopping analogy, instead of going to the supermarket, you buy directly from each food producer and buy vegetables from the original farmer. They each know what you buy from them, but they don’t know what you buy from the other producers.
I installed it, it seems a good thing to me. At the beginning I had a page that told me about the CPU, memory, etc. which I no longer have. Is there an optimal configuration? I am using the basic configuration.

I installed it, it seems a good thing to me. At the beginning I had a page that told me about the CPU, memory, etc. which I no longer have. Is there an optimal configuration? I am using the basic configuration.
See this thread for ideas or to post specific questions about Unbound Manager.
Simpler is better.

I have changed some of my settings to this, in the unbound.conf, it was a lot more snappier

493DECC1-003B-455E-892D-2FB62D885653.jpeg

See this thread for ideas or to post specific questions about Unbound Manager.
Simpler is better.yes, I read that topic. I have a question, should the DNS filter be installed?

Excuse the question, what is the difference between Diversion and Skynet? I use Skynet, Diversion what is it for? Unbound what is it for? Sorry for the stupid questions
Skynet is an enhancement for the Routers built in Firewall while Diversion is an Ad-Blocker.

I have changed some of my settings to this, in the unbound.conf, it was a lot more snappier

View attachment 31336
This is interesting. May I know how do you decide what number to change?
I found some optimize notes here but not sure if can be applied to our Asus.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the answers. I installed both Diversion and Unbound, everything works fine. It even seems to me that the navigation and the router itself is faster.
Diversion and Unbound self-update like Skynet or do I need to update them via AMTM?