What's new

Adaptive CAKE QoS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gotcha on the ac86. Ive never seen cake disabled over trend updates. but try "fc disable" in /jffs/scripts/firewall-start
Did you have Adaptive QoS enabled at the time. Any time the Trend Engine is updated, the Adaptive QoS service needs to restart, which causes it to revert to using its default sfq.

I have added that line to my firewall-start script as of last night, along with calling flexcake.sh again, but I wasn't sure if it was actually effective. I will have to run some tests.

Fair enough :)

I might continue to use this variant for a while yet though. Now that hw acceleration is off, I am seeing great results on the tests, and the tinning appears to be working and categorising flows accurately. I'll take the "free" DSCP from Trend as a bonus :).

(And that satisfies Morris's "keep it simple" principle since I will leave all the messy tagging to the third party binary blob ;).)

My connection is slow enough that hw acceleration is never going to provide a benefit to me :).
Ha, wow you literally answered all my questions I was about to post and my reasoning behind continuing to use this . My connection is only 40mbps and with this implementation I haven't had a single buffer when using IPTV today during football and my ioT devices don't suffer. Also it's the first time I've seen it tin the IPTV stream correctly

No, the RT-AC86U.

Ahh, I did just remember one downside to this.

Any time the Trend engine updates, cake is disabled again (and likely hw accel would turn on again, though I haven't checked that).
I need to set up a cron job or something to make sure this all remains activated.
You can setup this /jffs/scripts/service-event-end script to catch the sig updates:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

if [ "$2" = "wrs" ] || [ "$2" = "sig_check" ]; then { sh /jffs/addons/flexcake.sh & } ; fi

Last edited:
You can setup this service-event-end script to catch the sig updates:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

if [ "$2" = "wrs" ] || [ "$2" = "sig_check" ]; then { sh /jffs/addons/flexcake.sh & } ; fi
So this command should be all I need to set up as a cron job ? How often ?

So this command should be all I need to set up as a cron job ? How often ?
Not as a cron job. This script should automatically run after the Trend sig update apparently.

You can setup this /jffs/scripts/service-event-end script to catch the sig updates:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

Many thanks!

so do i just put it in /jffs/scripts and change permissions to executable?
Yep. Just put that in myself and it works nicely. hw acceleration appears to remain disabled, so I haven't done anything extra for that.

I also call flexcake.sh in firewall-start where I also turn off hw acceleration to ensure it is enabled when the WAN connection comes up.

It'd be really cool if we could run this with the improved rulesets from the flexqos addon for the ultimate low-speed QoS system :).

It'd be really cool if we could run this with the improved rulesets from the flexqos addon for the ultimate low-speed QoS system :).
If classification continues to work well with HW acceleration disabled, maybe there is still hope for this idea. I was selfishly hoping for HW accelerated CAKE, to expand the reach to users with faster connections.

You can forcefully disable HW acceleration one time:
Bash:
nvram set fc_disable_force=1
nvram set runner_disable_force=1
nvram commit
service reboot
Undo it later with:
Bash:
nvram unset fc_disable_force
nvram unset runner_disable_force
nvram commit
service reboot

Last edited:
If classification continues to work well with HW acceleration disabled, maybe there is still hope for this idea. I was selfishly hoping for HW accelerated CAKE, to expand the reach to users with faster connections.

Hmm Interesting.

I have left Runner enabled and only disabled flow cache though and it all appears to be working nicely.
Can you think of any problems in this configuration?

Hmm Interesting.

I have left Runner enabled and only disabled flow cache though and it all appears to be working nicely.
Can you think of any problems in this configuration?
No. But that doesn’t mean you won’t find some. ;)

Bash:
nvram set fc_disable_force=1
nvram set runner_disable_force=1
nvram commit
service reboot
Undo it later with:
Bash:
nvram unset fc_disable_force
nvram unset runner_disable_force
nvram commit
service reboot
I'm curious if my connection is 100/40 or rough 98/ 37 does that mean that hardware acceleration is not kicking in and therefore the mod should work perfectly fine?

I'm curious if my connection is 100/40 or rough 98/ 37 does that mean that hardware acceleration is not kicking in and therefore the mod should work perfectly fine?
If I understand you correctly, then yes, your connection is slow enough that cake will work at your full connection speed (with hardware acceleration disabled).

Hardware doesn't "kick in" as such. If HWaccel is switched on, it will always be on no matter what your current speed is.
HWaccel will switch itself off if you enable certain router features (such as the regular Cake QoS), or you can manually disable it.

You will need to manually disable hardware acceleration for this particular Flexcake mod to work correctly.

If I understand you correctly, then yes, your connection is slow enough that cake will work at your full connection speed (with hardware acceleration disabled).

Hardware doesn't "kick in" as such. If HWaccel is switched on, it will always be on no matter what your current speed is.
HWaccel will switch itself off if you enable certain router features (such as the regular Cake QoS), or you can manually disable it.

You will need to manually disable hardware acceleration for this particular Flexcake mod to work correctly.
Understandable well I do live in Australia and a short walk form the beach, my internet is sadly slow and expensive compared to the rest of the world.

I hope that eventually Asus or trend or Broadcom can implement cake into adaptive for units that support it.

No. But that doesn’t mean you won’t find some. ;)
Hey quick question, I'm doing a full reset on my router cuz i've beenb tinkering with so many things i kinda lost track and want it to be a clean install . I noticed after having it all set back up when i type ipset list -n nothing comes up... before i wiped there would be IPs that would be listed. i know we were using ipset with the FlexQOS dev branch but Does this script rely on those being there as well? or nothing to worry about... Also, Should enable the in-firmware cake once to initalize all the settings? like overhead and if i have DSL ATM or not?

Hey quick question, I'm doing a full reset on my router cuz i've beenb tinkering with so many things i kinda lost track and want it to be a clean install . I noticed after having it all set back up when i type ipset list -n nothing comes up... before i wiped there would be IPs that would be listed. i know we were using ipset with the FlexQOS dev branch but Does this script rely on those being there as well? or nothing to worry about... Also, Should enable the in-firmware cake once to initalize all the settings? like overhead and if i have DSL ATM or not?
You’re mixing up different scripts and threads. CakeQoS-Merlin 2.2.0 beta uses ipsets. This thread’s script does not. FlexQoS does not.

I suppose it would be good to setup the overhead parameters when Cake is active in the QoS settings, then switch to Adaptive QoS, disable HW acceleration, then run this script.

Yep. Just put that in myself and it works nicely. hw acceleration appears to remain disabled, so I haven't done anything extra for that.

I also call flexcake.sh in firewall-start where I also turn off hw acceleration to ensure it is enabled when the WAN connection comes up.

is this firewall-start script already present or do i have to make it?

is this firewall-start script already present or do i have to make it?
/jffs/scripts/firewall-start should generally already be present.

If not, you can just create it, add whatever commands you want to run following a firewalls start event, and then make the script executable.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!