What's new

adblocking recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

How many domains do you block on your network total?
I can't really say because i don't know how many that overlaps from each list. But in total it is 651,715 domains. From these lists:
1Hosts (Lite)
NextDNS Blocklist fƶr annonser och trackers
Frellwit's Swedish Hosts File
HaGeZi - Multi PRO

And i'm currently using the NextDNS service, the paid version. And i got Almost all the other features enabled that they offer. Including the tracking ones for all the major systems like windows, samsung, apple, xiami and huawei.

Hi,

I have always used the AdBlock addon - best ad blocker (not other version called Plus). To block only intrusive advertising, like on youtube which becomes quite annoying.

I ended up testing the uBlock Origin addon mentioned here several times (thanks) and noticed a huge difference in the result:

AdBlock:

1686396838845.png

uBlock Origin:

1686396889934.png

For the remaining devices (TV, etc.) I only use alternative DNS that block advertising (DNS Director).

Different day, different result:
1000025841.jpg

Hi,

I have always used the AdBlock addon - best ad blocker (not other version called Plus). To block only intrusive advertising, like on youtube which becomes quite annoying.

I ended up testing the uBlock Origin addon mentioned here several times (thanks) and noticed a huge difference in the result:

AdBlock:

View attachment 50854

uBlock Origin:

View attachment 50855

For the remaining devices (TV, etc.) I only use alternative DNS that block advertising (DNS Director).
You can get that number up if you want, with not much effort.
I use Adguard + the settings i have mention earlier in this thread. This is on my PC

1686399064198.png

And this is on my cellphone.

Screenshot_20230610-141158.png

And i don't feel like im suffering anything in convenience from my surf experience, or any other services that i use. I'd say im a quite regular internet user.

I don't have any adblocker of any kind on my cellphone, so the result is purely from DNS blockings.

I can't really say because i don't know how many that overlaps from each list. But in total it is 651,715 domains. From these lists:
1Hosts (Lite)
NextDNS Blocklist fƶr annonser och trackers
Frellwit's Swedish Hosts File
HaGeZi - Multi PRO

And i'm currently using the NextDNS service, the paid version. And i got Almost all the other features enabled that they offer. Including the tracking ones for all the major systems like windows, samsung, apple, xiami and huawei.

You can remove 1Host and NextDNS blocklists. HaGeZi includes those, and also includes OISD.

I use HaGeZi - Multi PRO++ without problems. You can add to your NextDNS Allowlist if you have a problem too.

Also, enable Google Safe Browsing under the Security tab in NextDNS. Then under the Denylist tab add
*.safebrowsing.googleapis.com *.sb.l.google.com
This will allow the use on NextDNS and block it on your devices.

I dropped out from custom firmware (i want automatically updates) and run the adblocking at nextdns.io

By the way, it's easy to go around your current setup. Some of your clients may be doing it automatically to own DNS services. You have to do DNS traffic interception and redirection, block DoT on port 853 and known DoH servers and services like iCloud Private Relay. You may want to restrict proxies and VPNs in order to prevent total avoidance of your measures. Otherwise the blocked % requests may not be telling you the true story. Just saying.

OK folks. I've moved the back-and-forth about whether or not to block ads over to another thread. Have at it, WITHOUT PERSONAL ATTACKS over there.

Let's just stay on topic here with recommendations for solutions for those who WANT to block ads.
@johndoe85 There is no excuse for name calling. You've earned a temporary ban.

Last edited:
OK folks. I've moved the back-and-forth about whether or not to block ads over to another thread. Have at it, WITHOUT PERSONAL ATTACKS over there.

Let's just stay on topic here with recommendations for solutions for those who WANT to block ads.
@johndoe85 There is no excuse for name calling. You've earned a temporary ban.
Link to the other thread?