What's new

Diversion Diversion not blocking so many ads - help!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

luckycharms

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,
Wondering how much ad blocking you get when you visit https://d3ward.github.io/toolz/adblock.html with Diversion enabled? I'm only getting around 30-40% of the ads blocked there usually. There was a point when I was getting upwards of 90% blocked, but it's now back down. Keen to hear what others get. I'm on an AC88u with Diversion Standard.
Thanks...

Thanks for the website link - 87%. Which blacklists are you using?

I tried again on different browser, 48%; then I clicked the 'retest' - 34%?

Last edited:
97% with Diversion Lite (standard list) and Firefox with Ublock Origin and Privacy Badger.

Weird. Do you have an ad blocker on your browser? In using the Diversion standard.
Good point, first test I was using Chromite on my phone, it has built-in blocking; 2nd test Firefox with no add-on blockers on a PC.

I'm using Standard blocking list in Diversion. Maybe time to start looking for a more inclusive list!

Further to my test earlier, only 56‰ using a virgin chrome. Disappointing to say the least.

Edit: Even with the large list Chrome hits the dizzying heights of 85%.
A word of warning though. If you already struggle with RAM usage the large list may become the last straw on the camel's back.

Does anyone have a custom list for testing?

Last edited:
Hi all,
Wondering how much ad blocking you get when you visit https://d3ward.github.io/toolz/adblock.html with Diversion enabled? I'm only getting around 30-40% of the ads blocked there usually. There was a point when I was getting upwards of 90% blocked, but it's now back down. Keen to hear what others get. I'm on an AC88u with Diversion Standard.
Thanks...
Further to my test earlier, only 56‰ using a virgin chrome. Disappointing to say the least.

Edit: Even with the large list Chrome hits the dizzying heights of 85%.
A word of warning though. If you already struggle with RAM usage the large list may become the last straw on the camel's back.

Does anyone have a custom list for testing?

Where do you fellows get the percentage measures of adblocking from? Maybe it’s staring me in the face, but I can’t see it?

FF Nightly (x64) Linux:

139 of 150 using Diversion (system-wide) on an Asus Router (AX86U, Latest Merlin Firmware) without uBlock Origin
150 of 150 using Diversion (system-wide)and uBlock Origin enabled

The browser was closed and reopened before tests.
I think that it comes down to what lists are being used and which sites are whitelisted/blacklisted. I am using OpenDNS if that makes any difference. On the whole I am satisfied with the results.

That being said, consider the following:

from uBlock filters:
! Defuse pointless online tool too causing hardship to volunteers
*$3p,domain=d3ward.github.io
@@*$redirect-rule,domain=d3ward.github.io
d3ward.github.io##.textads

and:

Try to add this blocking list: https://big.oisd.nl/domains
I get a 92% with this one
Only 85% here. Remarkably it's the same size as the normal "Large" list, which gets the same score.

Good point @jrichard326. I noticed I had to disable Ublock Origin to even run that "test", which I don't like doing. Don't like JS.

Yes, of course; many thanks. Do you have faith in that as a reliable test? I used it a few weeks back and I was left wondering just how much credence I could give to the results:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/adguard.87449/post-874360

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/adguard.87449/post-874796

I wonder if there is a better way to strip out all other variables to concentrate solely on the effectiveness of the blocking list.

Only 85% here. Remarkably it's the same size as the normal "Large" list, which gets the same score.

Good point @jrichard326. I noticed I had to disable Ublock Origin to even run that "test", which I don't like doing. Don't like JS.
I loaded 16 different lists and I'm getting now 100%

1703098922655.png

1703098858508.png

FYI, getting 96% with just diversion, 99% with ublock addon enabled AND diversion. Using Large as my blocking list type....

I think we're beginning to see already the shortfall of this as s benchmark tool. Okay for a general idea of what's happening, but the accuracy of it supports one of my first posts on these forums. I don't like it.
Oh, and I don't like js.

I get 97% with Diversion+ Hagezi's Pro ++ list + Ublock Origin

Attachments

• Captura de ecrã 2023-12-22, às 15.35.08.png
    Captura de ecrã 2023-12-22, às 15.35.08.png
    53.1 KB · Views: 16
I loaded 16 different lists and I'm getting now 100%

View attachment 54994

View attachment 54993
Don't think 16 is useful… The biggest lists, like Hagezis or OISD
are compilations from smaller ones… But if you are happy, and it works for you. :)

I am old skool, I just turn the monitor off. Blocks 100 percent of the ads when I don't want to see them.

Although, AdGuardHome seems to be doing pretty good. I am going for a 90 day stretch:

View attachment 55046
Touché…:)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!