What's new

adblocking recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No Ublock Origin browser extension either.

No YouTube adblocking, no easy on/off or per site option, no choice for your network users. You enforced your view of things to everyone. If you block 3.5mil more you can disconnect the WAN cable and save the ISP monthly fees.

What does everyone here prefer for adblocking? Diversion, or adguard?
I have used diversion for a while, but there seem to be lots of ads coming through and checking this test (https://d3ward.github.io/toolz/adblock.html) shows I only block about 50%. I'd like to start getting more stuff blocked.
My score is 83 with Diversion, in a hotel room in the southwest of the US, using my VPN on the router at home.

My score is 83 with Diversion, in a hotel room in the southwest of the US, using my VPN on the router at home.
Exactly the same result (83%) using Diversion on my router (medium list)
Test was done using a browser on a PC, in a Private Window, without uBlock Origin
Sounds good. I agree Diversion is not able to block everything, but is blocking enough to justify it.
And as an example, we are watching Netflix with ads, and Diversion is removing at minimum 50% of them (2 of 3 or 4 ads during series of 50 minutes length in average)

I have a pretty basic diversion install w/ Med list, type 65 enabled and using cloudflare DOT DNS, but Ionly get 54%. So I am thinking something is odd on my end.

How do you get ublock origin on mobile browser?
Are you running a rooted ROM for that?
simply add to Fennec F-Droid uBlock Origin add-on

I have a pretty basic diversion install w/ Med list, type 65 enabled and using cloudflare DOT DNS, but Ionly get 54%. So I am thinking something is odd on my end.
I have the same settings inside Diversion. Maybe one addon (Skynet?) I have installed could help to get better score.
Also, I recently started to use AdGuard Adblock inside "Wan DNS Settings" on "WAN - Internet Connection" web page but I got the same good adblocking score before switching to this DNS (I was using OpenDNS before switching to AdGuard).

No YouTube adblocking, no easy on/off or per site option, no choice for your network users. You enforced your view of things to everyone. If you block 3.5mil more you can disconnect the WAN cable and save the ISP monthly fees.
Oh I didn't mean to say either solution was better. Just that they are comparable when it comes to basic ad blocking. When you start talking about adjusting webpage elements and removing in-flight video ads, ublock origin truly starts to shine. However, I prefer the deeper level dns blocking for pulverized ads that no one should have to endure. It is effective if you know what you are doing. My 3.5 mil is highly curated. I can actually shrink it down further to 2.4 mil by utilizing ABP filters, but then I would be blocking more than I would like because the 3.5 mil are actually specific domains and not ABP filters that block multiple.

Last edited:
Oh I didn't mean to say either solution was better. Just that they are comparable when it comes to basic ad blocking. When you start talking about adjusting webpage elements and removing in-flight video ads, ublock origin truly starts to shine. However, I prefer the deeper level dns blocking for pulverized ads that no one should have to endure. It is effective if you know what you are doing. My 3.5 mil is highly curated. I can actually shrink it down further to 2.4 mil by utilizing ABP filters, but then I would be blocking more than I would like because the 3.5 mil are actually specific domains and not ABP filters that block multiple.
What block style are you using?
Quan? Quan Bei? Dan Zhi?

481852_489905391053631_2130980413_n.jpg

Welcome to my region of the country, specifically the Santa Fe, NM area.
A long time ago I passed through Las Vegas NM and Santa Fe on the way to see the Very Large Array (VLA) Observatory. I’m sort of into that kind of things as a hobby. I was in awe when they moved three or four dishes at the same time when we were there.
Utah is where I‘m at now. Can‘t get enough of that red rock scenery.

A long time ago I passed through Las Vegas NM and Santa Fe on the way to see the Very Large Array (VLA) Observatory. I’m sort of into that kind of things as a hobby. I was in awe when they moved three or four dishes at the same time when we were there.
Utah is where I‘m at now. Can‘t get enough of that red rock scenery.
We took a day trip about a month ago to see the VLA for the first time. We were blown away. It really makes you think and wonder about what’s out there. I assume you’re near Moab or Zion. Absolutely stunning too.

Sorry for going off topic.

I don't do adblocking on the router. My family members are free to chose what they want to see. We all use uBlock Origin - the best adblocker not destroying pages and successfully removing YouTube ads. Disabling is one click as well as per site adblocking. There is no router equivalent.

Second vote for doing ublock on the clients. It's been the most effective solution I've found and even seamlessly blocks YouTube ads. I didn't realize how bad they had gotten until I watched a YouTube vid on my phone.

Main benefit of doing it on the client (other than how good it is at typically not messing up site layout etc) is if it does break a page or prevent something from working (like letting a site keep you logged in) very easy to turn it off or add an exception

What does everyone here prefer for adblocking? Diversion, or adguard?
I have used diversion for a while, but there seem to be lots of ads coming through and checking this test (https://d3ward.github.io/toolz/adblock.html) shows I only block about 50%. I'd like to start getting more stuff blocked.
I was curious and tested with my system, which is combination of Pi-hole and uBlock Origin. 100%. Nice.

1686314872562.png

For those that are on the fence, here are some generalized take aways about DNS Adblocking Solutions versus Browser Extension Adblocking:

DNS Adblocking Solution:

• Pros:
    • Blocks ads at the DNS level, which means ads are blocked before they even reach your device, resulting in faster page loading times.
    • Blocks ads across all devices connected to the network, including smartphones, tablets, smart TVs, and IoT devices.
    • Works at the network level, so it can block ads in all web browsers and apps.
    • Can provide additional features like malware protection and tracking prevention.
    • No need to install any software or extensions on individual devices.
  • Cons:
    • May not have the same level of granularity and customization as browser extensions.
    • Can sometimes block legitimate content or interfere with certain website functionalities.
    • Requires configuring DNS settings on the router or device, which may be more technical for some users.
Web Browser Extension Adblocker:

• Pros:
    • Provides more control and customization options, allowing you to whitelist specific websites or block specific elements on a page.
    • Can block ads and trackers on a per-browser basis, so you can have different adblocking preferences for different browsers.
    • Often includes additional features like script blocking, anti-malware, and privacy protection.
    • Can be easily installed and managed within the browser.
  • Cons:
    • Blocks ads only within the specific browser where the extension is installed, so you need to install and configure it separately for each browser.
    • May consume additional system resources and impact browser performance.
    • May not block ads in other applications or devices.
If you have the knowledge to leverage either, I'd say use both!