What's new

Adding a node, low-end or mid-range?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

syedsahmad

New Around Here
Hello everyone. I recently setup an AX88U as my main node with an AX3000 (AX58U) as a second node. (Both are running latest betas for Merlin.) I really like this AiMesh setup and, for the most part, have great coverage in my home. However, I am considering adding another node and not sure what to add. I initially thought about adding a second AX3000 (which I'm considering lower-end) but then I thought maybe I should get something more substantial for future-proofing purposes, specifically the AX86U (considering this mid-range and routers that are Merlin-supported). The primary benefit of adding an AX3000 is that I would spend less while adding the coverage I would want. However, I would like to go higher-end for the perceived performance gains and longer-term future-proofing.

FWIW, the clients connecting to the AX3000 nodes have no issues and speeds are great. If I had performance problems or money wasn't a consideration then I would add another AX88U! (Sticking with dual-band mostly since my nodes are all wired...)

Thoughts and suggestions, even criticisms, appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello everyone. I recently setup an AX88U as my main node with an AX3000 (AX58U) as a second node. (Both are running latest betas for Merlin.) I really like this AiMesh setup and, for the most part, have great coverage in my home. However, I am considering adding another node and not sure what to add. I initially thought about adding a second AX3000 (which I'm considering lower-end) but then I thought maybe I should get something more substantial for future-proofing purposes, specifically the AX86U (considering this mid-range and routers that are Merlin-supported). The primary benefit of adding an AX3000 is that I would spend less while adding the coverage I would want. However, I would like to go higher-end for the perceived performance gains and longer-term future-proofing.

FWIW, the clients connecting to the AX3000 nodes have no issues and speeds are great. If I had performance problems or money wasn't a consideration then I would add another AX88U! (Sticking with dual-band mostly since my nodes are all wired...)

Thoughts and suggestions, even criticisms, appreciated.

Thanks!

Wired 2.5 Gigabit 3xRT-AX86U would have been nice. But you may only need two APs... too much WiFi is not a good thing... and a mix of hardware isn't an advantage. I'd buy for now... future proofing is a bit of a misnomer... it costs more to be on the bleeding edge you can't use with your existing technology.

OE

If you can sell your current RT-AX88U + RT-AX58U routers for a reasonable price, 2x RT-AX86U's would be an upgrade.

In your situation though, an additional RT-AX58U makes more sense.

Particularly if you spend the money you saved to wire both nodes to the RT-AX88U too. :)

Wired 2.5 Gigabit 3xRT-AX86U would have been nice. But you may only need two APs... too much WiFi is not a good thing... and a mix of hardware isn't an advantage. I'd buy for now... future proofing is a bit of a misnomer... it costs more to be on the bleeding edge you can't use with your existing technology.

OE
The 2.5 Gigabit port is not a use case I’ve considered or have a major need for currently. Not sure what you mean by too much WiFi is not a good thing, but I appreciate the advice/suggestion.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!