What's new

Adding more routers to create mesh?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kurnis

New Around Here
I have an RT-AX86U set up with Merlin and OMG it's amazing! I have Diversion and a Swap file on a USB drive and this is now easily the best router I've ever seen! <3

I'm moving into a bigger house and want to buy two more to add and create a Merlin mesh network...

Is there a guide for this? Do I need to plug them in separately first to install Merlin? Is it recommended to add Swap files to those ones too (do I need to get two more USB sticks?)

Thanks in advance, I'm sorry if this was already posted. I tried googling but only found guides on installing merlin on your main original router.

Why not save money and get AP's instead? Routers are meant to terminate your ISP connection and act as a firewall between you and the real world. AP's just handle WIFI and perform better at that task alone.

I have an RT-AX86U set up with Merlin and OMG it's amazing! I have Diversion and a Swap file on a USB drive and this is now easily the best router I've ever seen! <3

I'm moving into a bigger house and want to buy two more to add and create a Merlin mesh network...

Is there a guide for this? Do I need to plug them in separately first to install Merlin? Is it recommended to add Swap files to those ones too (do I need to get two more USB sticks?)

Thanks in advance, I'm sorry if this was already posted. I tried googling but only found guides on installing merlin on your main original router.
It is advisable to use Asus firmware on the AiMesh nodes. It works better.

You would do well to read this and consider other options than AiMesh, and even if you choose to use it, it would be wise to consider that it may take some time to optimise: wifi6 or Wireless AX may surprise you (you may only need one node depending on your intended wifi coverage, so scale up to what you need when/if deficiencies appear/arise)

Last edited:
Is there a guide for this?

For stable AiMesh use Asuswrt on all routers. I found 49599 the best firmware for AX86U. A new code base 388 firmware is coming soon with many Asuswrt-Merlin features and VPN Fusion + WireGuard in GUI. Beta is available now for preview and testing. You don't need Asuswrt-Merlin on nodes. Wireless node discovery doesn't work in Asuswrt-Merlin and you may need to use wired connections during AiMesh setup process. You can go with cheaper AX86S for your nodes. This router has the same radios and uses the same firmware as AX86U. The final result is going to be exactly the same for less money. Keep in mind AiMesh is a marketing name. More marketing than mesh. It doesn't improve roaming and has very limited node/AP control.

Thank you everyone for your replies! Getting my AX86U set up today and I'll see how well one does in the new house and how badly I need to shore up weak spots

Thank you everyone for your replies! Getting my AX86U set up today and I'll see how well one does in the new house and how badly I need to shore up weak spots
Good luck! Remember what they say about real estate: "Location, Location, Location!" and also that router and gateway/modem do not need to be in the same place ;-D