What's new

AdvancedTomato - Optimized 136 build for 56U and 68U and r7000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DomFel

Occasional Visitor
Guys AndreDVJ has built a modified 136 build specifically for 56U and 68U users, with some more commits and updates (including new bcm eth drivers).

I've been testing it the last few days and all I can say is that it's exceptional, incredibly stable (with voip too) and gained between 5-10% more performance with the OpenVPN client!

You can download it here:
https://bitbucket.org/AndreDVJ/advancedtomato-arm/downloads

I see there's also a build for the R7000. I might try it. Thanks ;)

The last time I tried tomato, it didn't have hardware NAT capability. I need that because I've got 500/500 fiber. Does this build have that?

The last time I tried tomato, it didn't have hardware NAT capability. I need that because I've got 500/500 fiber. Does this build have that?

At least Tomato Shibby has CTF which you can enable or disable. Can't speak for the other MODs, but I'm sure they do to as there's no reason to remove it

PS: I assume you talk about hardware acceleration, yes?

I have not used Tomato or its forks for a long time. Besides NVRAM clear and set factory defaults, is there any other specific instructions on flashing? Did not see any at the Andre site.

I have not used Tomato or its forks for a long time. Besides NVRAM clear and set factory defaults, is there any other specific instructions on flashing? Did not see any at the Andre site.

Make sure you're on stock FW on your router. Do a factory reset and then load up the "initial" Tomato FW. After that, you can flash the "real" Tomato version. That's what I had to do

if you afterwards you need to go to another 3rd party FW (dd-wrt/openwrt/etc) you first need to go back to stock and from there flash the 3rd party fw. Both Tomato and XVortex provide a FW image called "back-to-ofw" or similar

Thanks, that was great!!!

Easiest way is to enter the recovery mode in the Asus and flash the Tomato firmware from the app or the recovery webpage. After that, wait a couple of minutes, turn the router off, press WPS and turn the router on keeping WPS pressed, release it after about 30sec (the power led will start flashing, means nvram reset finished). Done, clean flash.

I gave this firmware a try. I don't like to Tomato Advanced GUI at all. Every page I just find way too busy and the layout is terrible. Back to AsusWRT.

I think that part of the code is closed source.

What Merlin said about it starting at post #10:

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/speed-issue-on-almost-all-tomato-fms-on-rt-n66u.10941/#post-67999

I run tomato on my R7000 and when I do lsmod, I see the CTF module is loaded. I don't know if it actually works and I've no way to test it here as I only have 240 Mbps downspeed, which the R7000 is able to process without a problem. I did a speedtest and simultaneously watched the CPU usage and it's about 15-20% for 240 Mbps

AdvancedTomato is based on Shibby, and afaik CTF has never worked in Shibby. In addition, Broadcom FastNAT hardware-accelerated NAT ("modprobe bcm_nat") has never worked in ARM at all, only for MIPs, and then only for RT-N branch and not RT-AC. So unless AndreDVJ specifically added CTF module from Merlin, it doesn't actually work.

AdvancedTomato is based on Shibby, and afaik CTF has never worked in Shibby. In addition, Broadcom FastNAT hardware-accelerated NAT ("modprobe bcm_nat") has never worked in ARM at all, only for MIPs, and then only for RT-N branch and not RT-AC. So unless AndreDVJ specifically added CTF module from Merlin, it doesn't actually work.

that's a post from 3 years ago. Sure it's still accurate? Also shibby says he hides the CTF option while I can see it in Advanced -> Miscellaneous

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!