What's new

Advice Needed JUL 2021 - Aimesh firmware option and smart connect rule

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kirikme

New Around Here
Hello Everyone,

Considering that Merlin firmware now supports Aimesh, what would be your advice on merlin firmware for nodes? I have an AC5300 as the main router (running Merlin) and AC3100 node (running stock Asus firmware).

Also with AiMesh can someone share their smart connect rules that has worked very well? I seem to get a few blackspots which I haven't been able to resolve by fine tuning channel numbers.

With having an RT-AC5300 as your main router, I would look at an RT-AC66U_B1 (if it's reasonably priced in your region - it's much cheaper here in Canada than in Europe). For the price, they are very affordable, and would make sense

With having an RT-AC5300 as your main router, I would look at an RT-AC66U_B1 (if it's reasonably priced in your region - it's much cheaper here in Canada than in Europe). For the price, they are very affordable, and would make sense
Thank you for getting back to me. Are you suggesting that I don't use AC3100? I have already bought it and its connected as a node with stock firmware.

Thank you for getting back to me. Are you suggesting that I don't use AC3100? I have already bought it and its connected as a node with stock firmware.
No, I mean if you are going to add more nodes, you don't need to overspend on these nodes.

No, I mean if you are going to add more nodes, you don't need to overspend on these nodes.
Thank you for clarifying, that makes sense. Wish I had reached out before buying :(.

With my current situation, I know that the area I am trying to cover is not big and the main router and the node should easily cover it off but I need your help in understanding if I use Merlin on the node as well and if you recommend ideal smart connect rules to ensure switching between 2.4 to 5 is seamless. Thank you for your patience.

I need your help in understanding if I use Merlin on the node as well and if you recommend ideal smart connect rules to ensure switching between 2.4 to 5 is seamless.
I can't help you. I never used Smart Rules, I always prefer to use unique SSIDs and manually decide where I want to connect rather than leave it to random behaviour that may vary between clients.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!