What's new

[Advice Needed] New ASUS Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Can you explain this a little bit? What is "far" superior in the Broadcom CPU vs the Qualcomm CPU in the R7800 which is really a Krait design also used in the older Snapdragons. Also, the QCA solution is a 2 x 2, 2 CPU cores for applications and other stuff and 2 lower-clocked CPU cores specifically for packet processing. AFAIK, and correct me if I'm wrong, the Broadcom CPU in the AC86U doesn't have such a setup. It is also faster by 100 MHz but as we all know, MHz is not everything

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/ipq8065
You win :)

I have no idea about the inner workings of the the processor range, nor it's history or the implementation of it's bills of materials components in other applications.
I have a profile photo of ALF the Alien. His primary aim was to try to get a cat into a toaster, FWIW. :)

Seriously, as far as I could see, the processor was newer, faster and would, in my mind, serve me better for longer, so I've updated my claim above.

Can you explain to us which processor you would select, given the choice, and why? I might learn something here!

Can you explain this a little bit? What is "far" superior in the Broadcom CPU vs the Qualcomm CPU in the R7800 which is really a Krait design also used in the older Snapdragons. Also, the QCA solution is a 2 x 2, 2 CPU cores for applications and other stuff and 2 lower-clocked CPU cores specifically for packet processing. AFAIK, and correct me if I'm wrong, the Broadcom CPU in the AC86U doesn't have such a setup. It is also faster by 100 MHz but as we all know, MHz is not everything

The BCM4906 in the AC86U has hardware crypto support, meaning things like VPN preformance will be significiantly better. You can read about it via a quick search on the forums.

You win :)

I have no idea about the inner workings of the the processor range, nor it's history or the implementation of it's bills of materials components in other applications.
I have a profile photo of ALF the Alien. His primary aim was to try to get a cat into a toaster, FWIW. :)

Seriously, as far as I could see, the processor was newer, faster and would, in my mind, serve me better for longer, so I've updated my claim above.

Can you explain to us which processor you would select, given the choice, and why? I might learn something here!

As noted above by @Adamm, the BCM one has hardware crypto acceleration which makes it very suitable for VPN and co. After a bit of Googling, I see the BCM one is also an A53 processor while the IPQ is an older generation one

the IPQ uses its 2 packet processors to accelerate and reach close to Gbps speeds regardless of what is used. BCM relies on CTF done in software which is also incompatible with some things so it gets disabled if one or more of these things is used. At least, this is my understanding

Hard to compare both platforms there, in part due to Broadcom being very secretive. Keep in mind for instance that each BCM4366E has its own dedicated ARM CPU, offloading a lot of the wireless work off the main CPU. We also don't know how much dedicated hardware is stashed within the CPU (which contains the built-in switch), which is used for packet processing, but I suspect there's some dedicated hardware there, for instance under their Flow Accelerator moniker that shows a great reduction in CPU usage under high traffic loads.

Biggest known asset of the BCM490x family remains the support for hardware-accelerated AES support (speeding up any application that uses AES, like OpenVPN), in addition to a hardware crypto module that will greatly accelerate processes able to leverage it, such as StrongSWAN (IPSEC). In my tests I was able to reach 300 Mbps of IPSEC throughput on the RT-AC86U (and a bit over 200 Mbps of OpenVPN throughput).

Can you explain this a little bit? What is "far" superior in the Broadcom CPU vs the Qualcomm CPU in the R7800 which is really a Krait design also used in the older Snapdragons.

While I won’t claim the Broadcom CPU as far superior, other than what is said already it is also more modern (64-bit).

Im guessing the 86u being far superior comment may have been referring to the asus lineup as it is I believe it is the most superior cpu as far as asus routers go, not ness the competition.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!