What's new

Advice on small business router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Then why are you recommending upgrading

Because in AIO routers Wi-Fi part matters. RT-AC86U routers and newer are AC Wave 2 routers, AX models obviously support AX. The routers now can do Gigabit on Wi-Fi, not only wired. Newer routers also have more features in software like Cake QoS and Wireguard, not supported by older Linux kernels.

Cake QoS is better on slower connections. It's just not available with older hardware routers. A new RT-AX68U router is about $150, for example. Most people have no issues upgrading every few years. Newer routers come with faster hardware, better software and better Wi-Fi. Why not?

Now you are back to my original statement most people have dumped and move on.

No. Most people upgraded just because they can and they want to. Upgrading consumer AIO routers is relatively cheap. Asus still provides support for routers released back in 2013. Many of those routers are now used as nodes in AiMesh systems. RT-AC68U is still one of the most popular models around. What was dumped is TP-Link, D-Link, Linksys with 2 lifetime firmware updates. Asus routers are re-useable as nodes, wireless bridges, repeaters.

RV34x series will receive last software update on October 2022, meaning 5 years of support since 2017.

RV34x series will receive last software update on October 2022, meaning 5 years of support since 2017.
5 years is reasonable, and should be the norm for any expensive piece of hardware (not just routers).

One point not mentioned for Asus' 'new hardware' is the fact that they may be built on newer SDKs too (this is a newer data point for me too). As the RT-AX86U is vs. the technically more powerful RT-AX88U, but in the end makes the RT-AX86U superior in actual use.

I only upgrade my Asus routers (starting with the RT-N66U almost 10 years ago) if the new router can demonstrably show superior network performance, in my own use. And usually, I can sell (privately) my original router to almost make the upgrade 'free'.

Most of these upgrades I have done over the years (RT-N66U, RT-AC56U, RT-AC68U, RT-AC3100, RT-AC86U, RT-AX58U, RT-AX88U, RT-AX86U...) have not been because I had newer clients with enhanced capabilities that the new routers would handle better, but rather, that the newer routers handled the older clients much better than the original router hardware could.

Yes, I have had many Asus routers (and have tried/tested many more that didn't make the cut for my network at the time of testing). My ISP speeds have also increased exponentially since the RT-N66U too. Along with a few AXE clients today too. But know that I don't upgrade a router for mere downloading bragging rights. The order of importance for me is stability, lower latency for my network use (not just measured, but observable in actual use too), and lastly performance.

I also don't jump to the new hardware on day one, but the last few routers have accelerated that schedule because the hardware/firmware and SDK are that much better. Where I would upgrade after 2 years before, with the RT-AX88U it was around 1 year after it was introduced, and with the RT-AX86U, it was around 6 months (and almost immediately after RMerlin support).

As RMerlin mentions above, my customers with small businesses of up to ~18 people are extremely happy with an Asus solution that has been properly configured. They are not missing anything. And they have more cash left in their pockets too without yearly service contracts too to use the hardware they already bought.

My business equipment is not going anywhere. No way for me "upgrading" to home routers. Asus routers can't even do Dual WAN properly. Asuswrt is in perpetual beta stage, focused on afterthought home AiMesh solution. Let's not get too excited about good and cheap, properly configured. Businesses using similar "solutions" are not properly configured.

If you're running business level already, of course, Asus' options aren't options for you.

The latest business I upgraded to Asus equipment (on the cheap vs. business class) simply blew away what their ISP had offered at 'business grade' prices. Not just for performance, but more importantly for security and stability too.

Not everyone is us. Different shades of grey are real. Choices are great.

What "business" we are talking about, for example? 18 people business is >$15000 weekly payroll around here, unless they sell doughnuts or play volunteers. A business hired you to save money and "upgrade" to consumer routers (with 3rd party firmware, for sure) and they perhaps payed cash (because you have no company) for your services only (because you don't sell hardware), like... under the table? Very interesting story.

What is "business equipment"?
Cisco Meraki and HPE Aruba? Sure yes
The ex-linksys RV series and Netgear Orbi? Probably no.
You may sell it to someone as a business router because it says Cisco on it, but here we know that an asus that is well tuned and upgrated to custom firmware, might be a better performer.

Last edited:
I had a Cisco RV340 router working well with 19 IP phones with 18 people at my daughter's small business network.

Having a Cisco L3 switch like a Cisco SG350 makes for a fast network. I used a Cisco SG500x switch for my daughter's small business network with IP phones. You can't do this with an ASUS router.

You don't even have VLANs on ASUS how is that going to work for a small business. I can't see setting up a business without VLANs. There is no way to control priority for the IP phones without VLANs.

Last edited:
Businesses don't justify expenditure by what their weekly payroll is. :rolleyes:

Give up your tiring, and not very interesting story you made up about me already. And stop missing the point.

What I gave to that company using Asus' products and RMerlin firmware was markedly better than what their ISP had them using as 'business' equipment.

Stay focused, be kind, and grow.

Stay focused

I am very focused. The moment someone New Around Here or Occasional Visitors shows up, a new customer story promptly arrives.

Here some kind questions for you:

- What business equipment the Canadian ISP provided in this particular case, make and model? What you compare your Asus with Merlin to?
- What did the "business" pay you for to become your "customer"? Routers are in stores, firmware is a free download, SNB is a free support forum.

Easy questions, shouldn't be a problem for you to answer.

We compare equipment to equipment and services to services. I think, I believe, they said, markedly better, properly configured - doesn't count.

More drivel.

What's wrong? Can't answer the simple questions?

I'm not asking you about invoices, HST, warranty on hardware and software solutions, etc. I know you have no answers on this part. I'm asking you tech questions in a tech forum. I pay for 6x business accounts with Canadian ISP's on Ontario, so interested to hear what ISP's offer in British Columbia.

Keep making more stuff up. I'm done.

I've used RV models in the past for a few customers, it was usually because the customer needed Dual WAN support (their failover support worked pretty well), or because they needed VPN support (these weren't very common among routers at the time).

You don't even have VLANs on ASUS how is that going to work for a small business. I can't see setting up a business without VLANs. There is no way to control priority for the IP phones without VLANs.
You don't need VLAN support on the router to prioritize LAN IP traffic, only on the switch where you'd setup a voice VLAN. Once at the router, it's QoS that's needed then to prioritize Internet traffic.