What's new

Advise for VR900 replacement

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

brightstar

New Around Here
Hi,

I'm looking to replace my existing VR900 which I have performance problems and other annoying problems (have to load backup on every unintended restart).
My house is medium size (around 150 meters), there are around 30 IoT (home automation) devices connected to the 2.4 network (some with constant IP mapping) but they don't transmit or receive lots of information, and few devices (laptop, streamers, etc.) which are the main consumers. From feature-set, I don't require much, having the regular features of port mapping, basic fw., etc., will be sufficient. Anything above that is welcomed!

I'm considering Asus RT-AX-82U or RT-AX58U which are both available in my country and have decent pricing.
Are there any problems with those models? Are they reliable in terms of smooth operation, without having the need to restart them, etc.?
Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
Z

Googling for "VR900" returns: Archer VR900 AC1900 Wireless Gigabit VDSL/ADSL Modem Router

Is that your device? I notice that it is an VDSL/ADSL model. Do you need VDSL/ADSL capability, because neither of the Asus devices you're considering have that?

You're correct regarding model no., TPLink VR900 Archer which also has VDSL modem capabilities.
I'm aware that Asus AX doesn't come with modem capabilities, and my intention is to have the VR900 as a modem/bridge only while enjoying the network capabilities from the Asus router. If there is an Asus router with VDSL capabilities, I can consider it as well.

Other that than, is there any known issues with the current Asus AX82/58 features that I should consider?
The reason for migrating to Asus is all sorts of connectivity and performance issues I currently have with the VR900, and I would like to have no or minimum issues with my network.

Other that than, is there any known issues with the current Asus AX82/58 features that I should consider?

Both routers are basically the same hardware. AX58U is the cheaper version with software limited features and radio streams. AX82U is more expensive "gaming" version with unlocked radio and RGB lights. From users feedback - AX82U is better. AX58U has more issues reported. DSL-AX82U may work for you. It also has a normal WAN port, unlike some other DSL combo routers - it can be used as DSL router and as normal WAN port router connected to other modem. Asuswrt-Merlin firmware is available for DSL-AX82U, if you want more firmware features:

GNUton is the developer who supports this model with an official Asuswrt-Merlin fork.

Both routers are basically the same hardware. AX58U is the cheaper version with software limited features and radio streams. AX82U is more expensive "gaming" version with unlocked radio and RGB lights. From users feedback - AX82U is better. AX58U has more issues reported. DSL-AX82U may work for you. It also has a normal WAN port, unlike some other DSL combo routers - it can be used as DSL router and as normal WAN port router connected to other modem. Asuswrt-Merlin firmware is available for DSL-AX82U, if you want more firmware features:

GNUton is the developer who supports this model with an official Asuswrt-Merlin fork.
If I'll buy the AX58U and install OpenWRT will I be able to achieve the same performance (besides RGB lights) capabilities as the AX82U?

If I'll buy the AX58U and install OpenWRT will I be able to achieve the same performance (besides RGB lights) capabilities as the AX82U?

Theoretical maximum performance - NO. AX58U hardware is locked deeper than firmware level. AX58U will accept stock Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin only. I believe there is s new AX58U hardware revision V2 in the wild. This one will accept stock Asuswrt only. No DD-WRT, FreshTomato, OpenWrt support for AX routers. In real use though you may not find big difference between the two routers simply because most clients are 2-stream. That means up to 866Mbps link to AC clients, up to 1200Mbps link to AX clients and up to 2400Mbps link to AX clients with 160MHz wide channel support.

If you want to stay with TP-Link, check the new Qualcomm based Archer AX55 (~$120). It has very good reviews and good features set for the price. If you want cheap basic router with good coverage, check the new MediaTek based Archer C80 (~$50). Your local prices may be different.