What's new

advise on diy NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

prometheus

Occasional Visitor
ok guy and girls let me first say hello as i am new to this forum :p

i am after suggestions for parts to build a nas ;)

i am mainly stuck on a case as i seem to hate all i have seen so far :(

as for the system board i seem to be seeing the intel atom is the best about .

suggestions please.

currently i am using a readynas duo but squeezecentre is struggling :eek:

How many drives / bays?

Please review other posts in this forum for suggested cases.

Hi Prometheus, I have been going thru the same decision as you except I was considering the readynas duo but heard that squeezecenter (my main reason for building this) had problems on it.
Have you upgraded the memory on the Duo? Just curious mostly, wondering if it would help.
After weighing the costs between the duo and building my own WHS, they end up about the same for me, I decided on the WHS machine mostly because I know windows and little to nothing about linux.

I ended up getting a supermicro mATX board and one of their cases. The case supports 4 drives internal and I plan to put the ide OS drive in one of the 5.25 bays with the CD drive.

I looked at the atoms but was leary about them mostly because of the fan noise possible, the heatsinks have very small fans.

I have an old E2160 cpu I'm going to use for mine and bought a fairly large zalman cooler for it so it should run very slow and quiet.

I will have the parts here monday hopefully and will build it then.

Once I get it together if you have any specific questions I will try to answer them.

Parts:
Board - supermicro mATX PDSBM LN2+ server board
Case - supermicro 731D black mATX case
CPU Cooler - Zalman CNPS 8700 NT (has the 4 pin connector so MB controlls it)

I'm a bit worried about the cooler fitting next to the NB heatsink but thats what a dremel is for.

Hope this helps some, Q

yeah i maxed out the duo with a 1gb of ramm, sweezecentre runs ok i suppose but it could really do more horsepower being delivered from the duo ;)

as for drive bays on what i intend to build 2 should be enough really but if i can find a case that will allow me to expand to 4 then i will go down that path :D