What's new

After 8 years, now my wireless IP cameras lose connection to Access Point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stansoltz

Occasional Visitor
This has boggled my mind for many months now. I run Blue Iris as my security camera system. Had it for like 10 years and added cameras over those years. I have an Asus router in my TV room which runs the DHCP. I have like 3 other routers (mix of old Asus + TP-LINK) that serve as Access Points in my house (don't ask... side split house with many floors and walls). A TP-Link AP in the kitchen sends a wifi-N signal out to 1 camera in kitchen, and 3 outdoors. All cameras only support 2.4ghz N. I have a total of 14 cameras, all wireless. These 4 in question connect to the kitchen AP. They worked pretty much flawlessly for like 9 years (maybe occaisional blip, but that's to be expected with wireless cams).

Back in December, out of the blue, all four cameras would randomly lose connection to Blue Iris. The IPTV which is hard-wired to the AP continues to work. I need to reset the AP to get them back online. It happens randomly throughout the day. My APs are all connected via MoCA 2.0. This setup worked for 9 years. In January, I got a new TP-Link router. Same problem continues. The channels seem fine. The AP in question, sits below a TV on a TV stand with a ton of wires and plugs and extension cords, etc. Could any of the other gear be messing with the wifi? I also re-did the Ethernet connector, thinking that perhaps the cable was lose but still same issues.

Any ideas what else to check?

I also just realized that these cheap TP-Link routers don't have Gigabit ports... but the cameras are low res, so thinking that's not it?
Is there a cheap wifi-N router that has a super-boosted signal I could try? The max distance of the cameras to the AP is like 15 feet.

I had to resort to putting the AP on a SmartThings Zigbee Plug... so when I check my cameras on the Blue Iris app and see that these 4 are 'down' I reset the Zigbee Plug to bring them back for the time being... :-(

Here's the environment... this was taken directly behind the wall with the AP, outside... the camera connect to pinehurst-AP-D which has a strong ~45db signal. I used to do 20mhz but now have the router on Auto (which I guess is 40mhz at present.) Issue seems to persist regardless of 20 vs 40.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.png
    Clipboard01.png
    165.8 KB · Views: 29
Just sounds like the N router is about to die. Replace it with an actual AP and things should be better and also give you some 5ghz in that area. Plus gigabit speeds.

This has boggled my mind for many months now. I run Blue Iris as my security camera system. Had it for like 10 years and added cameras over those years. I have an Asus router in my TV room which runs the DHCP. I have like 3 other routers (mix of old Asus + TP-LINK) that serve as Access Points in my house (don't ask... side split house with many floors and walls). A TP-Link AP in the kitchen sends a wifi-N signal out to 1 camera in kitchen, and 3 outdoors. All cameras only support 2.4ghz N. I have a total of 14 cameras, all wireless. These 4 in question connect to the kitchen AP. They worked pretty much flawlessly for like 9 years (maybe occaisional blip, but that's to be expected with wireless cams).

Back in December, out of the blue, all four cameras would randomly lose connection to Blue Iris. The IPTV which is hard-wired to the AP continues to work. I need to reset the AP to get them back online. It happens randomly throughout the day. My APs are all connected via MoCA 2.0. This setup worked for 9 years. In January, I got a new TP-Link router. Same problem continues. The channels seem fine. The AP in question, sits below a TV on a TV stand with a ton of wires and plugs and extension cords, etc. Could any of the other gear be messing with the wifi? I also re-did the Ethernet connector, thinking that perhaps the cable was lose but still same issues.

Any ideas what else to check?

I also just realized that these cheap TP-Link routers don't have Gigabit ports... but the cameras are low res, so thinking that's not it?
Is there a cheap wifi-N router that has a super-boosted signal I could try? The max distance of the cameras to the AP is like 15 feet.

I had to resort to putting the AP on a SmartThings Zigbee Plug... so when I check my cameras on the Blue Iris app and see that these 4 are 'down' I reset the Zigbee Plug to bring them back for the time being... :-(

Here's the environment... this was taken directly behind the wall with the AP, outside... the camera connect to pinehurst-AP-D which has a strong ~45db signal. I used to do 20mhz but now have the router on Auto (which I guess is 40mhz at present.) Issue seems to persist regardless of 20 vs 40.

As @Tech Junky said it is likely your radio is just finally burning out. However I would try hardcoding back to 20mhz channel and see if that helps. 40mhz is guaranteed interference. Signal strength means nothing if there is a bunch of noise mixed in. Doubt those cameras support 40 anyway so it is not adding benefit, only disadvantage.

But likely just time for a replacement.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!