What's new

AiMesh AC86U + AC68U Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have 4 ethernet ports already hooked up. One in basement direct to router (86u) basement tv plugged direct, another in the study for the Xbox, one with living room connected to ac86u and finally one in bedroom connected to another ac86u. If I have no other ethernet acces what can I do with the spare 68u I now have? Thanks

Think of Media Bridge mode as the ability to put many, normally 'wired only' client devices onto the Wi-Fi. Without the degrading effects of Repeater or wireless AiMesh mode to your network performance.

Because effectively, for the main router, each wired device on the Media Bridge is just a wireless client, like any other wireless client would be on the network.

The benefits of the Media Bridge is that the wireless connection will be stronger, more stable, and with more throughput than any normal wireless client could hope to be.

My customers would always ask me to 'sell' their old routers when they bought new ones. Sometimes, where I could, I helped a few out and did just that (and both customers were happy about it too).

Today, almost everyone needs an old router that has Media Bridge mode on it (and the RT-AC68U does) because of the work from home restrictions.

I have helped many customers upgrade their working environment that happened to have an old/spare router in a closet and moved their 'office' to where they wanted it to be. That is usually in a bright, open, and cheerful area of the home and usually one with a pleasant view too. A Media Bridge enables that because their desktop computer can be anywhere, they envision it to be.

A nice, framed motivational poster or two (paper-thin, and RF transparent) easily and beautifully hides the 'Media Bridge'. Win-win all around.

Far bedrooms with any wired capable client devices, media centers/TV's, basement gaming consoles, and garages are all good candidates for a Media Bridge.

And if you have two extra routers?

Then you can have not just wired, but also wireless clients in those far rooms without the penalties that Repeater or wireless AiMesh mode imposes too.

(You have one router in Media Bridge mode, as described above, and the other router in AP mode directly plugged into the Media Bridge).

Using a spare router in wired AP, or Media Bridge mode is also a way to save buying a switch too.

The above are just some reasons why I never recommend anyone buying an 'Extender', 'Repeater', 'PCIe or USB Wi-Fi adaptor', etc. They are just too focused and of limited use to spend money on. If you have a spare router or access to one that is equally prices or less.
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I'm wondering if Media Bridge may help me keep an old laptop from the recycler, (and its user from having a bit more of a meltdown):
the laptop is starting to increasingly experience wifi issues (having difficulty connecting and staying connected and passing data at the same speeds it has up to recently), but I have an old RT-n66u that's currently working as a switch elsewhere in the network.
I'm hoping that reconfiguring the n66 as a Media Bridge to connect to my ac86 and wiring said laptop to it (and putting a spare switch in place of the n66), the user won't have to face the prospect of getting comfortable with a new machine (and transferring files between them), and I won't have to run a cable from one end of the house to the other (which will be a not insignificant challenge).

It seems like the biggest challenge I'll run into is finding the n66's default login credentials to set it up as a Media Bridge.
If this gets the user better speeds and a more reliable connection, I'll be a hero (for a day or 3). Fingers crossed that I can have the n66 connect on the 5GHz band, so I can completely disable it on the ac86...and make the neighbours happy too by opening up some of the (congested) airspace in 2.4GHz...

will I still be able to use IPv6 over the bridge? Is there a config in the n66 I have to pay attention for/to for clients connected to it to keep IPv6 connectivity? Is this where the Device Discovery utility comes into play?
Thanks in advance!

Even if you use the 2.4GHz band for the RT-N66Us backhaul connection in Media Bridge mode, you may still be alleviating the load on that band vs. running almost any other client device from that same distance/location. This is because the radios, antennae, and all other contributing RF design factors (including the fact that the external power supply is dedicated to simply doing WiFi) will greatly surpass any client device's WiFi performance vs. the dedicated hardware (the router).

What I would suggest you do to get the 'N66u as stable and performant as possible in its new role:
  • Fully reset the RT-N66U with the Reset Button (doing it a couple of times or more won't hurt).
  • Flash the latest official firmware available for the model.
  • Perform a full reset once more (depending on how old the original firmware was, vs. the latest firmware you need to install.
  • During setup, specify Media Bridge mode.
  • Pick the SSID you want to connect to and let the router configure itself.
  • Plug in any client device you want to use/test into the 4 LAN ports (remember, in Media Bridge mode, it won't be broadcasting any WiFi SSID).
  • Once satisfied that the basic connections work, place at the location desired and plug in the client device(s) you want.
You may not be able to 'see' your 5GHz network, depending on the setting used on the main router. Simply test with the 2.4GHz network instead, with the device, and the location you need it used in.

You may find the old client device is still plenty satisfied with the lower throughput (but longer range) the 2.4GHz network offers in Media Bridge mode.

I look forward to seeing how successful this will be for you. :)

It seems like the biggest challenge I'll run into is finding the n66's default login credentials to set it up as a Media Bridge.

This Media Bridge mode has virtually no configuration. Just reset the router. Your bigger challenge is to find working firmware with Media Bridge. I remember it was broken in what was available Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin. You have to roll back a version or two otherwise it works for a while and stops. I also remember Media Bridge was working better on this one if you run it in Router Mode first, disable NAT acceleration and then switch it to Media Bridge. It's quirky and you have to find what works for you. I don't know about IPv6. Good luck.

This old laptop may allow Wi-Fi card replacement. Perhaps the better option than extra power suppliy, extra device and ethernet cable.

Even if you use the 2.4GHz band for the RT-N66Us backhaul connection in Media Bridge mode, you may still be alleviating the load on that band vs. running almost any other client device from that same distance/location. This is because the radios, antennae, and all other contributing RF design factors (including the fact that the external power supply is dedicated to simply doing WiFi) will greatly surpass any client device's WiFi performance vs. the dedicated hardware (the router).

What I would suggest you do to get the 'N66u as stable and performant as possible in its new role:
  • Fully reset the RT-N66U with the Reset Button (doing it a couple of times or more won't hurt).
  • Flash the latest official firmware available for the model.
  • Perform a full reset once more (depending on how old the original firmware was, vs. the latest firmware you need to install.
  • During setup, specify Media Bridge mode.
  • Pick the SSID you want to connect to and let the router configure itself.
  • Plug in any client device you want to use/test into the 4 LAN ports (remember, in Media Bridge mode, it won't be broadcasting any WiFi SSID).
  • Once satisfied that the basic connections work, place at the location desired and plug in the client device(s) you want.
You may not be able to 'see' your 5GHz network, depending on the setting used on the main router. Simply test with the 2.4GHz network instead, with the device, and the location you need it used in.

You may find the old client device is still plenty satisfied with the lower throughput (but longer range) the 2.4GHz network offers in Media Bridge mode.

Will I need default login and password for the n66, or will a setup wizard walk me through the setup after the reset?
I'm not using Smart Connect on my AC86 - it's 2 different SSIDs, so what I'm inferring is I'll see which has better signal strength in the setup of the n66 at its new location and choose appropriately.
This Media Bridge mode has virtually no configuration. Just reset the router. Your bigger challenge is to find working firmware with Media Bridge. I remember it was broken in what was available Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin. You have to roll back a version or two otherwise it works for a while and stops. I also remember Media Bridge was working better on this one if you run it in Router Mode first, disable NAT acceleration and then switch it to Media Bridge. It's quirky and you have to find what works for you. I don't know about IPv6. Good luck.

This old laptop may allow Wi-Fi card replacement. Perhaps the better option than extra power suppliy, extra device and ethernet cable.
the n66 has whatever version of Merlin was current when it was retired, so I'll go looking for the factory version. I'm not sure Merlin de-listed this before Asus did.
repairing this old laptop may be an option, but repurposing some existing equipment in a new fashion and possibly learning some things along the way is free, @Tech9...and the energy usage savings wouldn't offset the costs. Thanks, as always, for your perspective.

I realize that this old wifi4-wirelessN router theoretically tops out at 450Mbps on whichever band, but that's considerably better than the <100Mbps link speeds to the AC86 the wifi card is reporting on the laptop, so an ethernet cable out of one of the n66's LAN ports to the ethernet port on the Laptop (1Gbps capable) will let the machine breathe a bit easier I think, or give it a spring in its step again.

The latest stock Asus firmware for the RT-N66U is dated June 18, 2020, while the RMerlin firmware was last released on April 8, 2018.

I never used stock Asus firmware in 2020 for the RT-N66U, so I don't know what you'll find to set it up (default password or setup wizard). It won't be a challenge though, I'm sure.

I believe you're overthinking this. This isn't a hard thing to test.

Flash the firmware you want to use (I would put on the latest available from Asus).

Connect to the 5GHz signal of your main router (if you're able to). Test. Connect to the 2.4GHz signal and test again. I wouldn't use the one with the fastest throughput (by default), I would use the one that offered the lowest latency.

Don't forget to test for which Control Channel on the main router works best too, after you've decided which band to use for the location and device you want to use it with. (While also ensuring that other areas are not negatively affected 'too much').

I believe you're overthinking this. This isn't a hard thing to test.

Boy Howdy, was I ever overthinking! It took 5 mins (if that) to set up...
and The n66 sees my 5GHz...I've not tested ping, but page loads on the ol' warhorse laptop are much much snappier according to the user.

I'll have to check IPv6 on the laptop, but AC86 is reporting full 450Mbps up and down link to the N66
Now I've got to make up a long enough cable...and that will take me at least 3x as long as the network re-arrange and Media Bridge setup (because I do it so infrequently lately!)

Last edited:
That is 380.70 and Media Bridge doesn't work well on it. If you find it locked up after some time downgrade to 380.66_4 and try again.
I'll keep you posted, but so far, so good. the laptop even has IPv6 over the bridge ;-p
1Gbps link between laptop and N66 over ethernet, and 450Mbps bridge speeds between AC86 and N66.

I've shut down the 2.4GHz wifi too. One of the benefits of this is that I should be able to use the USB3.0 port for my entware drive without it interfering. I'm curious if my unbound average will come down, get quicker

This is how everyone should use old routers when they upgrade...until the new ones stop supporting the "highest" protocols of the old ones.
so Now I'm looking forward to testing an AC bridge to an AX router.

Last edited:
Your RT-AC86U is running fine. A new router will give you further firmware support, but may introduce new for you issues. Your Internet experience won't change much unless you upgrade your ISP line as well. And this may not be needed if what you already have is good enough for your needs.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!