What's new

AiMesh and Node Choice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mwexler

New Around Here
Just set up my first AiMesh using the not-so-loved RT-AX92U bundle. Yeah, no Merlin support, and I'm not using ethernet as the backhaul but instead the dedicated WIF6 channel, so I get that my choice was not inspired. Still, what's done is done.

So, my 2 questions:

1) When I look at the lists of devices going to the main router vs. the node, some devices made the wrong choice: For example, my Ring doorbell and original Chromecast, both on the ground floor, joined the main router upstairs (and farther away!) instead of the node which is actually closer. I don't see a way to move a device to another node, nor a way to "hint" a preferred node either in the app or in the main wrt control panel. Is there a more hidden way to shunt a device to the better node when it makes the wrong choice?

2) I'm replacing a beloved RT-AC68U, which just wasn't reaching far enough and was getting clobbered by excessive streaming. The 68U supports AiMesh, and rather than have it sit in a closet, I considered setting up this way: Master 92U in the office upstairs where the cable modem is, Node 92U on ground floor, and then put the 68U as a 2nd node in the basement... but can you more experienced folks suggest what might happen? It doesn't support wifi6, so it won't benefit from the hidden channel and so will try to talk on the already busy regular 5ghz. But it's in the basement, while the master is 2 floors up (really poorly made, thin floors, but still), so 5G will be weak, and 2.4 is crowded. Will it really just try to talk only to the master? Does AiMesh let it "daisy chain" from node to node?

I know, the super smart thing would be to just ethernet the backhaul for all of these, and the even super smarter would have been to buy 2 Merlin supported (and cheaper) routers to go along with the 68U, but given that I did neither, anybody have any thoughts on either of these issues?

Thanks, Michael

Just set up my first AiMesh using the not-so-loved RT-AX92U bundle. Yeah, no Merlin support, and I'm not using ethernet as the backhaul but instead the dedicated WIF6 channel, so I get that my choice was not inspired. Still, what's done is done.

So, my 2 questions:

1) When I look at the lists of devices going to the main router vs. the node, some devices made the wrong choice: For example, my Ring doorbell and original Chromecast, both on the ground floor, joined the main router upstairs (and farther away!) instead of the node which is actually closer. I don't see a way to move a device to another node, nor a way to "hint" a preferred node either in the app or in the main wrt control panel. Is there a more hidden way to shunt a device to the better node when it makes the wrong choice?

2) I'm replacing a beloved RT-AC68U, which just wasn't reaching far enough and was getting clobbered by excessive streaming. The 68U supports AiMesh, and rather than have it sit in a closet, I considered setting up this way: Master 92U in the office upstairs where the cable modem is, Node 92U on ground floor, and then put the 68U as a 2nd node in the basement... but can you more experienced folks suggest what might happen? It doesn't support wifi6, so it won't benefit from the hidden channel and so will try to talk on the already busy regular 5ghz. But it's in the basement, while the master is 2 floors up (really poorly made, thin floors, but still), so 5G will be weak, and 2.4 is crowded. Will it really just try to talk only to the master? Does AiMesh let it "daisy chain" from node to node?

I know, the super smart thing would be to just ethernet the backhaul for all of these, and the even super smarter would have been to buy 2 Merlin supported (and cheaper) routers to go along with the 68U, but given that I did neither, anybody have any thoughts on either of these issues?

Thanks, Michael

You could try using the Wireless\Roaming Block List, if present on your router. If you just finished setting up your network, you could wait for things to settle down. Also, be sure nodes are where you want them to suit your coverage areas. Perhaps the nodes are too close and clients don't have an obvious best signal to use...

AiMesh is suppose to daisy chain node to node.

OE

Unless I've misunderstood the Roaming Block List, it doesn't work how I expected with my AC86U router and AC68U node setup (wireless backhaul).

The router is downstairs and the node upstairs and I have a downstairs device that in physical distance is closer to the router, not the node, so I added it to the router roaming block list whilst it was connected to the router, but when I checked it later that day, it had moved onto the node. I removed it from the block list, left it a couple of days and tried again, but the same thing happened. So, I haven't used the block list since.

Looks like some of this functionality may show up in the "AiMesh 2.0" firmware being beta tested; I see mention of it elsewhere on these groups.

Welcome to the world of "Why did it connect here when logically it should connect there". I have a RT-AX88u as master and a RT-A68U as node. They are about 50' about and separated by many walls. Here`s an example of my connection. I have a ROKU stick on a TV and it is 5' from master. Some days it connects to the slave 50' away and sometime to the master 5' away. You never know what your going to see when devices connect. I have been using Merlin firmware because I have noticed traffic in the neighborhood made a difference. Merlin firmware has a simple tool in the WIFI section that helps you see the traffic in the area that your routers see. I select channel that has really low signals present or no usage at all. 5Ghz band with ROKU limit you to upper bands, but I can still find clear channels.

Also when you log into the page that shows what's connected, do you see live updates from the node or just from the master when watching the Tx/Rx and time in the chart?. I get real-time updates only from the master. The node shows a snapshot, but does not show real time data like devices connected to master.