What's new

AiMesh & Asuswrt-Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BoostOver

Regular Contributor
Why for paring a node with Asuswrt-Merlin i need ETH?
With stock firmware there is not problem with Wi-Fi paring.
Where is the problem?
Thanks and Good work.

Last edited:
Merlin doesn't change anything in AiMesh, it is closed source code.

Where is the problem?

The problem exists, but is not officially recognized. Wireless node discovery in Asuswrt-Merlin doesn't work on most router combinations since the introduction of AiMesh 2.0 with 386 base firmware. I've tried with AC68U and variants, AC5300, AC86U, AX58U, AX86U, AX88U - if you don't have the main and node wired chances are your node won't be recognized at all or will be seen but unable to associate with AiMesh. I've never seen it working, actually. AiMesh is closed source indeed, but the same closed source component works in stock Asuswrt and between different firmware versions.

The problem exists, but is not officially recognized. Wireless node discovery in Asuswrt-Merlin doesn't work on most router combinations since the introduction of AiMesh 2.0 with 386 base firmware. I've tried with AC68U and variants, AC5300, AC86U, AX58U, AX86U, AX88U - if you don't have the main and node wired chances are your node won't be recognized at all or will be seen but unable to associate with AiMesh. I've never seen it working, actually. AiMesh is closed source indeed, but the same closed source component works in stock Asuswrt and between different firmware versions.

I'm so glad I no longer use ASUS junk . :cool:

Some say it's the best they ever had. I don't know...

I'm no longer a coder - but have spent my 50+ year career in the world of logics - and it makes ZERO logical sense to me to say ...
Merlin doesn't change anything in AiMesh, it is closed source code.
and yet AiMesh works perfectly in Asuswrt - but the AiMesh code when merged into Merlinware ... no longer works - UNLESS there is something in Merlinware itself which breaks the AiMesh functionality found in stock?

The only other proposition is that the particular Asus GPL version on which Merlin builds his releases contains broken code as far as AiMesh is concerned?

We'll probably never know - because most of the Merlinware released since 386.5_2 is based on Asus stock version numbers which are seldom if ever released for the models he produces.

UNLESS there is something in Merlinware itself which breaks the AiMesh functionality found in stock?

More like something the closed source code is expecting to find, but it doesn't exist in Asuswrt-Merlin. I also have consistently better Wi-Fi results with stock Asuswrt and have some suspicions the closed source wireless drivers are also affected, but can't prove it with the usual difference in release and GPL numbers and no one would believe me anyway based on reaction on my testing so far. It is what it is - use whatever you can and like.

I could not get AiMesh to work with the latest Asus stock on node AC86U:

Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.48260 2022/03/25

However, it works fine with:

Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.46092 2022/03/03

And the latest Merlin on the router.

RT-AX86U on 388_22068 accepts RT-AC86U on 386_48260 as mesh node on first attempt. I have tried this exact setup few times already. Any router I have tried on Asuswrt-Merlin fails to associate any node wirelessly. Wired only with fail back to wireless. When AiMesh falls apart - repeat the process.

RT-AX86U on 388_22068 accepts RT-AC86U on 386_48260 as mesh node on first attempt. I have tried this exact setup few times already. Any router I have tried on Asuswrt-Merlin fails to associate any node wirelessly. Wired only with fail back to wireless. When AiMesh falls apart - repeat the process.
Again, I had similar issues with 386_48260. Try 3.0.0.4.386.46092 to see if it fixes your issues. Been working fine for me.

I have recycled my RT-AC86U, not available for testing anymore. This is another bug issue with Asus routers and available firmware - inconsistency. Some RT-AX86U got bricked by Asuswrt firmware update, some were fine. Some work well with Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1, some don't.

I have recycled my RT-AC86U, not available for testing anymore. This is another bug issue with Asus routers and available firmware - inconsistency.
Yeah, I guess I got lucky with my AC86U. I think it was one of the originals and I never had any heat problems or radios not working (I've seen others complain about this). I moved it to a node when I got a new GT-AC2900 which I think is just a AC86U with pretty lights, but it may be more powerful than AC86U. But, I do have Merlin on router and Stock on AiMesh node (wireless backhaul) but I just need to use the stock version 46092 not 48260. But, it has been almost a year since a new stock has been released.

which I think is just a AC86U with pretty lights

The same hardware running different firmware with unlocked 160MHz wide channel on 5GHz, supported by the BCM4366E radio. RT-AC86U can be converted to functional GT-AC2900, actually. Don't ask me any questions about it though. RT-AC86U in reviews shows better Wi-Fi range for some reason.

I'm no longer a coder - but have spent my 50+ year career in the world of logics - and it makes ZERO logical sense to me to say ...

and yet AiMesh works perfectly in Asuswrt - but the AiMesh code when merged into Merlinware ... no longer works - UNLESS there is something in Merlinware itself which breaks the AiMesh functionality found in stock?

The only other proposition is that the particular Asus GPL version on which Merlin builds his releases contains broken code as far as AiMesh is concerned?

We'll probably never know - because most of the Merlinware released since 386.5_2 is based on Asus stock version numbers which are seldom if ever released for the models he produces.

That is what Merlin will tell you , he doesn't change anything because it is closed source and he CAN'T touch that code.

Whatever , life without anything ASUS in your network is so MUCH better.

That is what Merlin will tell you , he doesn't change anything because it is closed source and he CAN'T touch that code.

Certainly don't expect him to "touch it" ;) ... but when it works in stock code [without him touching it] - then that stock code merged into his should work ... but doesn't with all models - and therein lies the mystery!

It's similarly broken in stock. Not a merlin issue at all, really.

Whatever , life without anything ASUS in your network is so MUCH better.
How did you find out about the Turris products? I am curious about the company and their history.

The only way I got some combination to work was creating the AImesh using stock firmware, then flashing Merlin on the Router and leaving stock on both of my nodes. As far as I can tell that is the only way to use the Mesh feature.

After getting Merlin on the router I did try flashing one of the nodes to Merlin and it lost connection with the Mesh. I flashed it back to stock and it reconnected no problem.

I have Merlin/GNUton fork on my XT8s (main and 2 nodes), and other than having to initially pair the nodes over a wired connection, once paired, the mesh over wireless backhaul to both nodes works beautifully. I'm also using the 160Mhz DFS channels for the backhaul without issues. Guess I'm lucky?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!