What's new

Aimesh Client List not stable?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I tried a few more times and the device does roam seamlessly during a voice call!! This is brilliant! very impressed.

Hope this can somehow be fixed without having to give up on Nat acceleration which is kind of helpful and needed at higher speeds (150-200 mbps+)

It's a work around and we are looking for the root cause.

Hello- Besides the volatile client list, is your Aimesh system stable and decent? I am thinking of setting up a friend with two AC68U's in a 1400 sp ft apt. Thanks in advance.
I'd say it's stable and I've only had to reboot node once since setup (it got lost) which I'd say is pretty good going. I've had to reboot the router a couple of times but I don't think that's necessarily because of Aimesh, it just got itself confused.

My only reservation is that I'm not totally sure if I'm getting good wifi signal throughout my house with my two AC86u aimesh setup (node on ethernet backhaul). Firstly, I'm using Dr Wifi and the maximum I get in any room (even one with the router/node in it) is -45 dbm so I don't know if that is accurate or mis-leading because that seems low. Secondly, the client list is so volatile that I'm not sure if my device is actually moving from router to node (and back) as I walk around the house. Sometimes I'm sitting next to the router and the client list still says that I'm connected to the node.

So, yes, stable but I can't say for sure that it is (or isn't) working as well as intended.

I'd say it's stable and I've only had to reboot node once since setup (it got lost) which I'd say is pretty good going. I've had to reboot the router a couple of times but I don't think that's necessarily because of Aimesh, it just got itself confused.

My only reservation is that I'm not totally sure if I'm getting good wifi signal throughout my house with my two AC86u aimesh setup (node on ethernet backhaul). Firstly, I'm using Dr Wifi and the maximum I get in any room (even one with the router/node in it) is -45 dbm so I don't know if that is accurate or mis-leading because that seems low. Secondly, the client list is so volatile that I'm not sure if my device is actually moving from router to node (and back) as I walk around the house. Sometimes I'm sitting next to the router and the client list still says that I'm connected to the node.

So, yes, stable but I can't say for sure that it is (or isn't) working as well as intended.
-45 dbm is pretty solid signal

I hate to reactivate a post from 2014, but I have an AC88u where the client list has never been stable. I've owned the router for 2 & 1/2 years. At first I assumed that it was just a UI issue, as I never really saw problems with the router otherwise. In general, it has been my best router ever (though that's not saying much - suffice it to say that I'm not a fan of D-link or Linksys anymore). I also give Asus a TON of credit because they're doing a great job of keeping updates flowing, and that's something praiseworthy.

<sidebar>
One problem that has existed for a while is that Ecobee devices (of which I have 3) sometimes (actually, nearing on rare) show loss of connectivity and require a reboot to be fixed. But since it's only Ecobee devices and I have dozens of other connected devices, again, I have to assume a problem with Ecobee, or Ecobee + Asus, but not widespread. It could even be that these devices don't like channel changes.

I've also *rarely* seen what seems like a spanning tree issue or other problem where a device on one band can't talk to a device on another band or wired device. Always fixed with a reboot -- and a problem I've seen on every router ever. I actually suspect that it's a self-protect mechanism triggered by a badly behaving device, most likely an IP camera, as it almost always happens at the same time I'm fiddling with one of those.

Recently I've seen some stability issues that seem related to load and temperatures. Not sure how much has been the last couple of firmware updates vs. changes in our habits. We also have been on streaming TV for the past 4 months, so I know load has been a little higher -- at least more sustained than ever. Throughout the day, you can almost always count on at least 1 TV going. But nothing ever more than 2 streaming devices, so nothing more than 10-15 Mbps. CPU temps were regularly hitting >86C. I recently installed Merlin out of frustration, to easier monitor temps, and also elevated the router to get more air flow. CPU temps have actually been better since then, peaking at 80-81C, and stability seems better so far.
</sidebar>

But the client list problem continues. It's so bad, there are devices that almost never show up there once the page loads and the initial list disappears; it's difficult to manage anything on that page because mouse clicks often end up on an unintended device. I recently installed the iOS app, however, and it seems the problems don't exist there - device management is easy. Further, other than a handful of pretty rare entries like this:

May 24 00:18:08 roamast: eth1: add client [dc:3e:f8:f2:ff:34] to monitor list
May 24 00:43:22 roamast: eth2: add client [e4:9a:dc:98:2e:32] to monitor list

The logs are generally quite clean. In fact, sometimes it will be hours or days without an entry at all.

Am I making something out of nothing?

Recently I've seen some stability issues that seem related to load and temperatures.
CPU temps were regularly hitting >86C.
I could reduce temps on a 68U from 85 down to 75°C only by improoving contact between CPU and cooling plate.
There isnt good thermal contact between why temps are that high out of box.

One problem that has existed for a while is that Ecobee devices (of which I have 3) sometimes (actually, nearing on rare) show loss of connectivity and require a reboot to be fixed. But since it's only Ecobee devices and I have dozens of other connected devices, again, I have to assume a problem with Ecobee, or Ecobee + Asus, but not widespread. It could even be that these devices don't like channel changes.

turn off airtime fairness.

I have never had a stable client list on my RT-AC3100, since it was out of the box (pre-AiMesh). I've updated the firmware multiple times and have reported the issue to ASUS. I can't get the latest firmware from this week to work, so I can't say if it helps the issue or not.

As others have mentioned, the apps seem to do a better job of keeping a more current and static list than the UI does in a web browser, but it's still a bit tweaky. I use the Android app, in case that makes a difference.

The Answer "No" is for wifi call drop issue when roaming event happened. According to limited of authority, I only can provide some suggestion and issue clarification.

I have to say that the unstable client list is quite frustrating and I'm not sure if it's on the list to be sorted out. Trying to manage any of the individual clients is really, really hard since they keep appearing and disappearing (I was trying to set block times on one of the clients) and working out whether or not the clients are connecting to the aimesh nodes rather than the routers is quite tricky.

I have reverted to the ios app for most things since that is much more stable but it would be really great if the ui on the web page could be sorted out.

I too have a problem with the client list not being stable, the thing is it's not just wifi clients disappearing, I notice the same issus with ethernet connected devices.

RT-AC68U 3.0.0.4.384.21045

Last edited:
Oh yes, it's the whole list that is unstable. I'm not sure if this is just something that everybody lives with (and have gotten used to) or if it's only a subset of people that it affects. Either way, it doesn't seem to be a priority for Asus as it still hasn't been fixed.

Oh yes, it's the whole list that is unstable. I'm not sure if this is just something that everybody lives with (and have gotten used to) or if it's only a subset of people that it affects. Either way, it doesn't seem to be a priority for Asus as it still hasn't been fixed.
we all have it, but only some look deeper to see it and asus got no problem too, its a long time issue ...

I only started seeing it just today. Previously I was running a single AC68U, for several years, most of that time on Merlin FW. It has never done a great job with whole-home coverage so I got an AC86U to replace it with a plan to demote the AC68U to an AiMesh node. I set up the new router today and flashed the AC68U back to stock firmware since I had read that Merlin doesn't support AiMesh (if anyone can confirm that it would be great).

As far as I can tell the mesh is working very nicely and my coverage is excellent, but I am now seeing the client list update constantly, which is really annoying.

I have a feeling this would go away with the latest Merlin firmware, but I don't think I can mesh the routers if I do that?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

The client list has been a mess for a long time. Your lucky if some clients are shown for more then a few seconds then they disappear. Very annoying to say the least. AC3100