What's new

AiMesh Feature Request - Option to choose Wireless Control Channel for AiMesh Nodes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sivaprasath

Occasional Visitor
Hi Asus Support,
Can you please provide an option to choose Wireless Control Channel for AiMesh nodes? Currently, we can choose the Channel selection for AiMesh Router, but this is not available for AiMesh node.
If there is any workaround available for this, please let us know. Thanks.

Hi Asus Support,
Can you please provide an option to choose Wireless Control Channel for AiMesh nodes? Currently, we can choose the Channel selection for AiMesh Router, but this is not available for AiMesh node.
If there is any workaround available for this, please let us know. Thanks.

Does a wireless node need to use the same backhaul channel as the other nodes?

OE

OE
It doesn't seems to be. I can change the Wireless Control channel for the main AI router. But still the Ai mesh Nodes are in different Control Channels, other than the one which I configured in AI router.

OE
Not when using ethernet backhaul. It's a feature of enterprise class wireless systems.

I've submitted a change request to Asus myself on this subject although without others also supporting it I suspect it won't get far.

Not when using ethernet backhaul. It's a feature of enterprise class wireless systems.

True, but that's not what I proposed... a "wireless node".

For me, consumer mesh is first and foremost wireless... I don't want no stinkin' wires! :)

OE

It doesn't seems to be. I can change the Wireless Control channel for the main AI router. But still the Ai mesh Nodes are in different Control Channels, other than the one which I configured in AI router.

That may be a bug since you have no (lost) control over the node channel.

Given wireless node radios on different channels, how can they communicate with each other to affect their wireless backhauls?

OE

That may be a bug since you have no (lost) control over the node channel.

Given wireless node radios on different channels, how can they communicate with each other to affect their wireless backhauls?

OE
I am on Ethernet Backhaul. I haven't tested this out on Wireless backhaul.

I am on Ethernet Backhaul. I haven't tested this out on Wireless backhaul.

Whether you test it or not... consider the logic of it... wireless nodes (radios) can't use different channels.

OE

I had a similar brainwave a week ago. AiMesh recently added the option to turn on and off the 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz per node, so it wouldn't be a stretch to allow per node setting of Channels. this would be a relatively simple add-on, me thinks.
Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 18.34.31.png

Whether you test it or not... consider the logic of it... wireless nodes (radios) can't use different channels.

OE
I can have them run as 3 independent access points, on different chanels, but then I don't get the convenience of one control panel. seamless migration between nodes works in both scenarios.

[EDIT : having a few "wireless" "wireless nodes" AKA "Access Points" on the same channel isn't useful with ethernet backhaul, and only serves to congest the same channel]

[EDIT 2 : Removed Snark from the message]

Last edited:
That's a swing and a miss, IMHO. I can have them run as 3 independent access points, on different chanels, but then I don't get the convenience of one control panel. seamless migration between nodes works in both scenarios.

[EDIT : having a few "wireless" "wireless nodes" AKA "Access Points" on the same channel isn't useful with ethernet backhaul, and only serves to congest the same channel]
But, in case if we want to select low interference channel on AiMesh node, we don't have that option. That is why I am looking for an option to select a Control channel for AiMesh node also.

By definition, an Access Point (AP) is wired; an AiMesh node is wired or wireless.

The suggestion to control remote channels must be restricted to wired APs/nodes.

OE

By definition, an Access Point (AP) is wired; an AiMesh node is wired or wireless.

The suggestion to control remote channels must be restricted to wired APs/nodes.

OE
So to whom may we make such a request?

So to whom may we make such a request?

Contact Asus but I wouldn't bother... it's an obvious consideration I'm sure they are aware of. If it's feasible and of value, it may be awaiting development. Beta AiMesh doesn't need more variables.

OE

Contact Asus but I wouldn't bother... it's an obvious consideration I'm sure they are aware of. If it's feasible and of value, it may be awaiting development. Beta AiMesh doesn't need more variables.

OE
Is there any possibility to let Asus know about this feature request through this SnB Forum? If not, what are all the options to get Asus attention?