What's new

AIMESH FIRMWARE UPDATES - MY PROBLEMS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello again, after a phone call to ASUS and collecting Logs. They returned an Email, asking me to test switch the routers around. They mentioned to use the RT-ac5300 as the AIMesh router and the GT-ac5300 Node. This is a complete re-configurations, due to I don't know if the GT config might have to many extra characters that would cause a new issue. Did this, this morning, so we are seeing what happens and will capture logs and turn back into ASUS.

Could you send feedback with system log, wifi log, cfg file by feedback function ?

I have tried that function a few times, just emailed what I could gather. I also did a wireshark capture, to see if this helps out also.
I have 2 of each of these routers, one set I was going to use in my home. The others were to go into a family members, I was going to test and set up. Then send them out, but I can't be sure these items will work?

I have tried that function a few times, just emailed what I could gather. I also did a wireshark capture, to see if this helps out also.
I have 2 of each of these routers, one set I was going to use in my home. The others were to go into a family members, I was going to test and set up. Then send them out, but I can't be sure these items will work?

So I have received a reply from ASUS on April 16, 2018. please gather following information and setup a share doc so they can reach the information. Already contacted the seller to return these items. I believe that the 2.4ghz chip is probably part of the whole problem. Also, in my home size, I thing the RG ac5300 needs a transmit percentage scale or input so you can divide the wifi overlap. This would help the device release from one router to the next, better then the roaming assist feature.
Whole reason for this headache was to get my Ring security cameras down to a RSSI of 50. which would have in hopes a faster response to opening up a video stream to my android.

Whole reason for this headache was to get my Ring security cameras down to a RSSI of 50. which would have in hopes a faster response to opening up a video stream to my android.

How fast/slow is it now... I'm trying something similar with Wyze cams.

OE

It varies, I would say most of the time probably 20-30 seconds. In some cases can reach up to minutes. I am hoping to create a system were there is an overlap in case the main router goes down the second can then pick up. But it is not able to have a fall back route in the Ring software. Will be opening a conversation with ring hopefully soon.

Shortly after writing this reply my logs reverted back to Feb 13, 4PM. This has happened on 3 of these routers at different times. So there is sometime wrong in the Firmware or Chipsets.

Hello all, sending back all 4 routers. I went back to the AC87U and a RP-AC68U as a repeater. Rings radio RSSI is about 55. I do not have the overlap that I was hoping for, but I did not have to wake up and reboot the router. The older AC87U has a Transmit scale you can set up your coverage better. Rog does not have transmit adjustment, RT router, I can't remember. But this is working.

Last edited:
2.4Ghz penetrates farther than 5.xGhz even if it is "older" technology. 5.xGhz is "better" only in that the band is less congested with channels spread across more spectrum.

This is why Z-Wave runs down in the 906Mhz band.. better penetration.

The issue with the ring is it's own NIC I believe. I've run other WiFi cams adjacent to it on the 24.Ghz band without issue. The Ring is a laggy piece of junk IMHO. Of course, Ethernet IP Cams on USB's do the real security at our home.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

2.4Ghz penetrates farther than 5.xGhz even if it is "older" technology. 5.xGhz is "better" only in that the band is less congested with channels spread across more spectrum.

This is why Z-Wave runs down in the 906Mhz band.. better penetration.

The issue with the ring is it's own NIC I believe. I've run other WiFi cams adjacent to it on the 24.Ghz band without issue. The Ring is a laggy piece of junk IMHO. Of course, Ethernet IP Cams on USB's do the real security at our home.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Can your ring cams use POE? It might be a better option to run them wired with a POE switch. RT-AC5300 does have intermittent WiFi issues every so often you need to
Reboot the router becoz the WiFi stops working probably. It may be a memory leak issue on the WiFi code on the router as this happens over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ring doesn't use PoE. My IP Cams do. They are superior in every way. The Ring is worthless. A lot of times the "recordings" stored in their cloud miss the beginning of what they're recording and then just end 30 Seconds or whatever time Ring decides into the action. My IP Cams record 24/7 and mark spots on the recording when motion occurs. The Ring has a crappy WiFi NIC and reports a bad signal when there actually is a good signal.

Ring doesn't use PoE. My IP Cams do. They are superior in every way. The Ring is worthless. A lot of times the "recordings" stored in their cloud miss the beginning of what they're recording and then just end 30 Seconds or whatever time Ring decides into the action. My IP Cams record 24/7 and mark spots on the recording when motion occurs. The Ring has a crappy WiFi NIC and reports a bad signal when there actually is a good signal.

Which IP cams do you use... I'd like to read about them?

OE

So I have received a reply from ASUS on April 16, 2018. please gather following information and setup a share doc so they can reach the information. Already contacted the seller to return these items. I believe that the 2.4ghz chip is probably part of the whole problem. Also, in my home size, I thing the RG ac5300 needs a transmit percentage scale or input so you can divide the wifi overlap. This would help the device release from one router to the next, better then the roaming assist feature.

I don't know why you would spend this much on routers for a cloud cam like Ring. Security cams that run on batteries like Ring/Arlo are crippled compared to POE cameras. They are better then nothing but are for people who have very little tech skill.

I use Blue Iris in conjunction with Hikvision cameras. You need your own PC to run Blue Iris (i7 with Win 10 recommended). The Hikvision cameras go from 2MP all the way up to 8MP and can be powered by POE. It's not difficult to connect multiple cameras using thin ethernet cable to a POE switch (or injector if connecting only 1 camera) which is then connected to a Asus router set as a media bridge. The media bridge provides a rock-solid connection back to your main router. You can use the Tmobile branded routers without needing to upgrade the firmware if you want an inexpensive media bridge.

Compare a rebranded AC68u inside the home transmitting video feed back to your main router vs a battery-powered Ring camera sitting outside your home. Some of the Ring cameras can be plugged in for power but you still have the problem of the camera trying to transmit WiFi signal through an exterior wall (likely reason why Ring only has 2.4 GHz and no 5 GHz). I'm getting a transmit speed of ~ 1Gbps with a RSSI of -45 with my routers serving as media bridges on 5GHz.

Last update, I have returned the routers I purchased from Ebay and bought a new RT-5300. Using one WiFi extender with the router is working out great. My Ring Cams are hard wired into my electrical panel, working on UPS power to this circuit with battery back up. Ring door bells are wired to existing wired door bell circuit and they have battery backup internal. My Cable modem, switches extender and router are on UPS with battery back up to last 45 minutes minimum. The WiFi coverage needs a redundant router source, but this is another project I will tackle later on.