What's new

AIMESH FIRMWARE UPDATES - MY PROBLEMS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Neil62

AiMesh, when working, is great, and I mean that, but it has some stability issues, as well as a few other shortfalls (opinions my own). Here are my own AiMesh concerns (will differ for each user, router setup, router types, etc and environment) after using AiMesh for the past month:

1. NO node support for guests
2. NO Mac Filtering by node
3. NO reboot schedule available on Nodes
4. Stability issues - Offline Nodes
5. Web UI for clients listing (ALL) - barely working
6. Web UI incorrect identification of interface connection by Clients
7. Web UI Node client connections list, lack of details - e.g. band connected to
8. Throughput drop off at nodes, at a guess due to stability problems, reboot (MANUAL) helps the problem
9. NO Led light indicator (red) at the node (router) when according to the Web UI, node is offline

Hello, ASUS, what's going on with another firmware update for AiMesh compatible routers? I hope there is a lot of work going on in the background with AiMesh Firmware and an updated firmware is imminent, improved features/functionality and fixes. Do ASUS have any future release notes of what can be expected in a new firmware release? I for one, am extremely happy for the AiMesh additional functionality to ASUS routers, it is fantastic, but let's keep pushing forward. My impatience only.

My current AiMesh setup is as follows, (ALL using the most current ASUS AiMesh firmware by Model):

RT-AC86U Main Router
2x RT-AC5300 Nodes
1x RT-AC68U Node

Are there ANY other AiMesh issues out there from people using ASUS AiMesh? I know WPS has had some long discussions for example.

I hope ASUS support is listening?

I know, patience is a virtue right....

Maybe I am expecting too much too soon...just my impatience again

All in all, credit to where credit is due, a BIG THANKS, ASUS, for what we have working to date....let's keep moving forward as a team, to continue to improve on a great implementation of an idea which is much appreciated throughout the ASUS world, to the future and forward we go together.

ASUS are still number 1 in my books and I will continue to buy and support ASUS routers...

I have an update on the above available at:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/my-bucket-list-suggestions-observations-for-aimesh.45438/

Last edited:
They likely won’t be listening in the Merlin sub-forum where AiMesh is not supported, no...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use the feedback link at the bottom of the router admin page and send these items to ASUS. So far with the issues I have been having with aimesh, they have been very attentive and willing to go above and beyond to help.

Use the feedback link at the bottom of the router admin page and send these items to ASUS. So far with the issues I have been having with aimesh, they have been very attentive and willing to go above and beyond to help.
I have already done so, without any response from ASUS to date. It would great to know what's in the development pipeline for AiMesh, even if/what's under consideration for development. Maybe even a probable release date of a new firmware. New functionality...

Last edited:
Hello friends I recently bought the router ac-86u and an ac-88u the 88u I have it of main and the 86u of node.
The problem is that when I turn on the node and do a speed test the main router loses the internet signal some lights go out and the fiber light turns red ..
I remove the node and everything works perfectly again ..
Can someone tell me why this happens to me ..
I have the latest firmware on the two routers ..
I'm desperate and wanting to send everything to walk ...
thanks and regards..

Just let you known, We received your feedback...
Any chance of a new AiMesh beta firmware being released soon? I would be willing to test it.

Last edited:
Hello friends I recently bought the router ac-86u and an ac-88u the 88u I have it of main and the 86u of node.
The problem is that when I turn on the node and do a speed test the main router loses the internet signal some lights go out and the fiber light turns red ..
thanks and regards..

Did you first update both routers to current AiMesh firmware, initialize both routers to factory defaults, configure the 88U router/root node from scratch, and then add the virgin 86U router as AiMesh node?

Is the fiber 'gateway' in bridge mode i.e. no routing functions? Sorry, if that's a dumb question.

OE

thanks and regards..
Have you completed a factory reset after updating both firmwares using the most current ASUS AiMesh firmware? This is important..
I would also try making the AC86U the main router and then the 88U as a node. If possible.
I had similar issues when I was using one of mine AC5300's as the main router and then adding an additional AC5300 and AC86U as nodes.
AiMesh became more stable when I set the AC86U as the main router and then the AC5300's as nodes. Maybe because of the additional horsepower on the AC86U, as compared to the AC5300's, not sure myself.
My tips, with some settings, which have seemed to help a little with stability, (at least in my environment):
  1. Use a fixed channel on both bands, I am currently using 6 for the 2.4 band and 161 for the 5 band
  2. Disable smart connect both bands
  3. Roaming assistant, enabled, using defaults, of -55 RSSI for 2.4 band and -70 RSSI for 5 band
  4. One SSID for both bands
  5. Turn off Universal beamforming both bands
  6. Turn off Airtime fairness both bands
  7. Use 20mhz only on the 2.4 band - channel bandwidth
  8. Use a wireless mode of "N" for the 2.4 band
  9. Use 40mhz only on the 5 band - channel bandwidth
  10. Use a wireless mode of 'N/AC' mixed for the 5 band
Lets hope there is a new firmware release for those compatible AiMesh devices soon from ASUS.
Just this morning, both of my AC5300 nodes were again offline, frustrating.

Last edited:
Hi

I've purchased a AC5300 and a GT AC5300 and connected in AIMesh, but I'm also concern about stability. I need to force re-boot the GT AC5300 (the Node) every day because of unstable issue. So today I'm going to reset the system and setup the GT AC5300 as a AP instead. Tired of this unstable issue. Have also 4 AC68 and setting those up in AIMesh haven't been possitive.

So, just reset the GT AC5300 and setup as AP. Now WIFI is working fine again.
I do want to go for a try on AIMesh again, but as the software is right now I rather want a stable network - so no AIMesh for now....

So, just reset the GT AC5300 and setup as AP. Now WIFI is working fine again.
I do want to go for a try on AIMesh again, but as the software is right now I rather want a stable network - so no AIMesh for now....
Hello, I am having the same issues, I have a ROG 5300 as the main AI-Mesh connected to COX modem which is 12 down and 4 up channels. The AI-Mesh node is a RT-5300, both routers are I hope on the latest firmware(3.0.0.4.384.20648). I have called ASUS to start a ticket, after going over facts, one that I imported the config from my AC-1900 router. They asked me to reset the router and start fresh in the O.S. configurations. So after reading many people have a similar issue with device dropping off, router freezing up for a period of time and nodes having an issues staying connected or receiving a strong signal. I know I am not alone. I will reset my routers today and see if I should just go Access point, rather then the benefiting what the AI-Mesh is suppose to be doing.

Looking forward to follow your experience of AIMesh. I don't have the stomac to try it out right now. Good luck and please get back with your experience. :)

I also have
1x RT-AC5300 Main Router
1x RT-AC86U Node
1x RT-AC68U Node
1x RT-AC1900P AP

here is my take on your list
>>>>
1. NO node support for guests
+1
2. NO Mac Filtering by node
+0 as long as you can do it on Main Router its fine )
3. NO reboot schedule available on Nodes
+1
4. Stability issues - Offline Nodes
+100
5. Web UI for clients listing (ALL) - barely working
+10
6. Web UI incorrect identification of interface connection by Clients
+10 (its specific to RT-AC86U)
7. Web UI Node client connections list, lack of details - e.g. band connected to
+50
8. Throughput drop off at nodes, at a guess due to stability problems, reboot (MANUAL) helps the problem
sure -same as 4. Stability issues
9. NO Led light indicator (red) at the node (router) when according to the Web UI, node is offline
sure -same as 4. Stability issues

Hello, I am having the same issues, I have a ROG 5300 as the main AI-Mesh connected to COX modem which is 12 down and 4 up channels. The AI-Mesh node is a RT-5300, both routers are I hope on the latest firmware(3.0.0.4.384.20648). I have called ASUS to start a ticket, after going over facts, one that I imported the config from my AC-1900 router. They asked me to reset the router and start fresh in the O.S. configurations. So after reading many people have a similar issue with device dropping off, router freezing up for a period of time and nodes having an issues staying connected or receiving a strong signal. I know I am not alone. I will reset my routers today and see if I should just go Access point, rather then the benefiting what the AI-Mesh is suppose to be doing.

After looking over the firmware version, I found a mix match. I updated both routers to the latest firmware and did a reset. once the reset was done, I went through a new setup manually. I first tried the tri-band setup and had no success with this. I ended up separating the 2.4GHZ and kept it at N, with 20Hz. I used one SSID for this zone. Then used a separate SSID for the 5GHZ 1 and 2 zones, used notes from another thread on one at 40HZ and the other at auto. Disabled airtime fairness along with universal beaming, if you have a network behind your router, enable NAT.

After a test, I found out that the DFG has to be the first IP. Also tried to use a /25 and found out that the router only likes a /24 IP. You use anything in the 192.168.X.X seems to work.

I still have a question on why are no nodes showing connectivity to the AI Mesh Node router? I also am wondering if Nodes are disconnection from the main router and connecting to the right device due to signal strength.

After looking over the firmware version, I found a mix match. I updated both routers to the latest firmware and did a reset. once the reset was done, I went through a new setup manually. I first tried the tri-band setup and had no success with this. I ended up separating the 2.4GHZ and kept it at N, with 20Hz. I used one SSID for this zone. Then used a separate SSID for the 5GHZ 1 and 2 zones, used notes from another thread on one at 40HZ and the other at auto. Disabled airtime fairness along with universal beaming, if you have a network behind your router, enable NAT.

After a test, I found out that the DFG has to be the first IP. Also tried to use a /25 and found out that the router only likes a /24 IP. You use anything in the 192.168.X.X seems to work.

I still have a question on why are no nodes showing connectivity to the AI Mesh Node router? I also am wondering if Nodes are disconnection from the main router and connecting to the right device due to signal strength.

To all, after a few hours with no issues on my wireless LAN. Sometime in the middle of the night, the AI Mesh lost connectivity. Also all nodes lost communication to the WAN, internal seem to be working. Calling ASUS this morning, this is ridiculous for the price I paid for two GT and RT AC5300 routers to work like they have been advertising.

To all, after a few hours with no issues on my wireless LAN. Sometime in the middle of the night, the AI Mesh lost connectivity. Also all nodes lost communication to the WAN, internal seem to be working. Calling ASUS this morning, this is ridiculous for the price I paid for two GT and RT AC5300 routers to work like they have been advertising.

Hello again, after a phone call to ASUS and collecting Logs. They returned an Email, asking me to test switch the routers around. They mentioned to use the RT-ac5300 as the AIMesh router and the GT-ac5300 Node. This is a complete re-configurations, due to I don't know if the GT config might have to many extra characters that would cause a new issue. Did this, this morning, so we are seeing what happens and will capture logs and turn back into ASUS.

Hello again, after a phone call to ASUS and collecting Logs. They returned an Email, asking me to test switch the routers around. They mentioned to use the RT-ac5300 as the AIMesh router and the GT-ac5300 Node. This is a complete re-configurations, due to I don't know if the GT config might have to many extra characters that would cause a new issue. Did this, this morning, so we are seeing what happens and will capture logs and turn back into ASUS.
wow ... asking to use $400 router as $200 node .. and lose all GT features...

wow ... asking to use $400 router as $200 node .. and lose all GT features...

After another day of troubleshooting issues, found that the RT-ac5300 had 2.4ghz radio issues. Found that the RT router would create a bandwidth limiter out of nowhere on the 2.4ghz range. If I rebooted or did a change of a setting and synced it would go for a bit then go back to less then 2Mbps, with .5Mbps upload. While working with the RT router, I found somewhat of a sweet spot with the AI-Mesh feature, only problem is TX power. For my house size with both routers, I need the power TX to be 75% of what it is now to eliminate over TX. Switching back to the RG router as the main router and using RT as node.
Things I found that helped out but are not the fix. First the tri-band feature is going to be a problem with devices not capable of AC wireless. The second is hard setting 2.4ghz at 20hz, N wireless, modulation scheme to MCS 7 wireless N. I haven't isolated a fix channel or do I want to keep the same channel in case of loads. I did similar fixed for 5.0ghz-1 and 2. Set 5G-1 at wireless AC, 40hz and modulations at MCS 9 turbo QAM. I seem to be still having 2.4ghz radio issue, not sure if it's the load I have in this range or if it's the family streaming youtube and netflix. At least now I know it's not isolated to the RT router. I also kept the DHCP pool short to only 96 available IP's was going to cut it down to 64 IP's, but think I would run out fast.
Probably going to return soon, I don't have the time to keep trying to fix setting to keep network running. I am trying to move anything capable of 5ghz to that band and leave the 2.4 open for legacy devices. I am running 6 Ring cams, 4 floodlights and 2 doorbells. Which can only run in the 2.4GHZ range, how nice, modern, but still behind the times.
If anyone has found a fix or can give more light please update us, I see a bunch of people looking for hope..

Help us Obi Wan Kenobi, you're our only hope.