What's new

AiMesh for Tri-band routers: RT-AC5300, GT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

A while back, it was suggested that the tri band routers be used as a node and not the primary router. Is this still true? I have 68U as primary and 5300 as node. I notice that the GUI has no settings for 5gh-2 channel and additional features of 5300 such as ifttt support is missing.

Lastly I find my Lifx bulbs stop functioning once I add the node into mix. It’s like the signals to turn off/on are not propagating... but app does show bulbs as being online. Could there be some broadcast setting / toggle I’m missing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do not know if it is the new FW or the Factory Reset, but my speeds are 25-30% better now.

Attachments

• Speedtest.png
    Speedtest.png
    287.9 KB · Views: 425
Updated my RT-AC5300 to this new mesh firmware and performed both a factory initialize (the new Initialize option) and an “nvram erase” after it came back up. It is up and working fine so far but there are a few oddities happening: After making changes like turning on SSH or Telnet and applying it doesn’t take effect. I was also unable to reboot the router via the reboot button (it acted like it was working but never really rebooted). The settings changes took effect after I powered the router off and on.

Can’t see the update for RT-5300 on the site. ?

Yes. Will need to perform factory reset...went from 382 to 384 firmware. Just got 650 down and 500 up on my laptop over wifi, so seems good for the first few minutes I've had installed anyways.

Did the reset, speeds are back to 100mbps like I was getting before. This firmware is very stable so far!

CC

Installed the latest 3.0.0.4_384_20287, did initialize, but then the 2.4g band was inaccessible. 5g no problem to log in.
So did hard reset and still no way to connect to the 2.4g band to setup the router.
Reapplied firmware but still same issue with 2.4g band.
After reloading the settings, 2.4g was back accessible but although te signal strength is good, the throughput is not.

So for now went back to 9.0.0.4_384_20282 which is working great on my GT.

I have to say I am impressed with this release. After a factory reset after install of the new firmware all my problems disappeared. Speeds are back to normal. 20 Static IP addresses set up. Connect in bridge mode to RT86u (about 40 feet away through a few walls) at 1300! All my smart TV's running at once with ipad and laptop also streaming absolutely no hiccup.
Now to see over time how it performs.

Please keep your experiences coming.

CC

I have to say I am impressed with this release. After a factory reset after install of the new firmware all my problems disappeared. Speeds are back to normal. 20 Static IP addresses set up. Connect in bridge mode to RT86u (about 40 feet away through a few walls) at 1300! All my smart TV's running at once with ipad and laptop also streaming absolutely no hiccup.
Now to see over time how it performs.

Please keep your experiences coming.

CC

I dare you to try IDM (Internet Download Manager) free trial and stream at the same time without buffering for 5 to 10 minutes.

Upgraded my GT late last night. While reading release notes I thought is time to re-enable bonding to my Synology.
kernel: protocol 0800 is buggy, dev eth4 start showing up at that time. I said to myself whatever... But today there was no wifi at all. So I had to reboot it. Disable bonding. Upgrade the node too as new firmware was published.
Now let's see if it's stable.
Still running QoS and traffic analyzer, so I have something to disable before start thinking to wipe the config and start fresh.

Upgraded my GT late last night. While reading release notes I thought is time to re-enable bonding to my Synology.
kernel: protocol 0800 is buggy, dev eth4 start showing up at that time. I said to myself whatever... But today there was no wifi at all. So I had to reboot it. Disable bonding. Upgrade the node too as new firmware was published.
Now let's see if it's stable.
Still running QoS and traffic analyzer, so I have something to disable before start thinking to wipe the config and start fresh.

I upgraded the the latest stable version and started getting the same alerts bombarding my logs: kernel: protocol 0800 is buggy, dev eth4. Downgraded back to firmware 3.0.0.4.384_20216 and the messages stopped. I contacted Asus support about it, but has anyone else figured out how to stop those alerts on the stable firmware?

When I go into the Firmware Upgrade tab within the Administration section, without doing anything it will immediately go into the Firmware Upgrading mode showing the popup dialog and the progress bar, have any of you have the same issue? I am using the latest 384 FW for the RT-AC5300, thanks

I tried with different browsers, so it is not cookies or cache, the problem is that you cannot access the FW upgrade tab at all

Mine is not experiencing this behavior (RT-AC5300) using latest version of Chrome.

Did you do a factory reset or initialize? I did an initialize and a nvram erase before configuring mine. Also did a power off/on after applying all of the configuration changes.

I tried with different browsers, so it is not cookies or cache, the problem is that you cannot access the FW upgrade tab at all
Correct...... I think some have rebooted the router to fix this.... I have not as my mesh network seems to be working well and I don't want to booger it up.... I did send feedback to ASUS....

I haven't seen anything in this thread, but does anyone know if Merlin plans to support the Aimesh firmware versions for the RT-AC5300? I know he wasn't planning on supporting any of the GT-5300 firmwares.

I've done the Factory Reset, Initialization, Power Cycle and it will be fine for the first 5min, then the problem will come back again, the weird thing is that even though you see the FW updating dialog nothing is happening within the router

Attachments

• RT-AC5300 FW Update.png
    RT-AC5300 FW Update.png
    64.2 KB · Views: 471
Correct...... I think some have rebooted the router to fix this.... I have not as my mesh network seems to be working well and I don't want to booger it up.... I did send feedback to ASUS....
I think the problem start happening after I do a Check Update for new FW and/or Check Signature.