What's new

AiMesh for Tri-band routers: RT-AC5300, GT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have two RT-AC5300 routers, one as the Aimesh router and one as the Aimesh node. Using the speedtest iOS app as my test case I get great speeds when connected to the main router (130 Mbps) but generally get very poor speeds (around 12 Mbps) when connected to the node even when I am standing right next to it. In both cases I was connected to the 5ghz radios. Is it possible that the router and node are to close together or why would the speeds be so low? The web UI shows a good signal between the router and the node. Anything I can try to improve the speeds?

I have two RT-AC5300 routers, one as the Aimesh router and one as the Aimesh node. Using the speedtest iOS app as my test case I get great speeds when connected to the main router (130 Mbps) but generally get very poor speeds (around 12 Mbps) when connected to the node even when I am standing right next to it. In both cases I was connected to the 5ghz radios. Is it possible that the router and node are to close together or why would the speeds be so low? The web UI shows a good signal between the router and the node. Anything I can try to improve the speeds?

Could you upgrade the FW to 384.20308 ?

Yes, I am on the latest firmware and that is the firmware I was using when I experienced this issue.

I did "Manual Reboot" on AiMesh Router. Hope that helps:)

I did "Manual Reboot" on AiMesh Router. Hope that helps:)
Thanks, I did do that too! The very low speeds seem to be somewhat intermittent but I never seem to get the speeds I should. I seem to get better speeds with just the router and no nodes. I guess I can play with some settings like beamforming.

For those of us on wireless backhaul is there a way to have the wireless backhaul use 5G-2 and all other 5G devices use 5G-1? So we can have a dedicated backhaul?

Can someone upload the 308 firmware for the GT AC5300 and upload it here?

Go to UK site. It was there earlier. Posted link in GT-AC5300 owners thread. Change log only showed a fix for the admin/ firmware update issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I did do that too! The very low speeds seem to be somewhat intermittent but I never seem to get the speeds I should. I seem to get better speeds with just the router and no nodes. I guess I can play with some settings like beamforming.

For those of us on wireless backhaul is there a way to have the wireless backhaul use 5G-2 and all other 5G devices use 5G-1? So we can have a dedicated backhaul?

Will always be on 5G-1 since dual band routers only have the lower band (5G-1) channels. That’s my understanding anyways.

Will always be on 5G-1 since dual band routers only have the lower band (5G-1) channels. That’s my understanding anyways.

Bummer, either way it would be nice to have a dedicated channel for the backhaul instead of sharing it with devices.

I’m still getting about 10 Mbps when connected to my node. My just have to get rid of it and use only the main router.

Bummer, either way it would be nice to have a dedicated channel for the backhaul instead of sharing it with devices.

I’m still getting about 10 Mbps when connected to my node. My just have to get rid of it and use only the main router.

I personally set it up for 80MHz (although looks like only uses 20 for backhaul) and out all devices on 5G-2 for now even though I’m set up for wired backhaul. Have you tried moving everything over to 5G-2 to clear that channel?

Go to UK site. It was there earlier. Posted link in GT-AC5300 owners thread. Change log only showed a fix for the admin/ firmware update issue.

It would be great if my router wouldn't auto upgrade the firmware to the firmware that is already on it every time I go into firmware upgrade page. Guess I am SOL unless I do it manually, which I really am tired of doing.

It would be great if my router wouldn't auto upgrade the firmware to the firmware that is already on it every time I go into firmware upgrade page. Guess I am SOL unless I do it manually, which I really am tired of doing.

Apparently a reboot fixes it temporarily. Then check for update and apply latest firmware.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This was highly unpredictable in every release so far. Most time I've seen exactly what you're describing.
Right now my 68U "speaks" with my GT on channel 100 on GT's radio 2.
At least for now. I'll have to move it to it's place and connected with a cable.

This was highly unpredictable in every release so far. Most time I've seen exactly what you're describing.
Right now my 68U "speaks" with my GT on channel 100 on GT's radio 2.
At least for now. I'll have to move it to it's place and connected with a cable.

Yeah, guess I should've stated that was the case for the US anyways. Would be nice to see that drop once ethernet is selected so the entire channel is available for devices.

Yeah, guess I should've stated that was the case for the US anyways. Would be nice to see that drop once ethernet is selected so the entire channel is available for devices.
Mine appears to be connecting on 5G-2 for the backhaul, but it also puts other devices on the backhaul. Interesting, unless I am misinterpreting this, is that it also creates a backhaul on the 2.4 Ghz radio as well. I would think something like Orbi does would provide the best setup where it creates a single backhaul using the 5G-2 radio and then you essentially have a dual-band connection which uses that high bandwidth backhaul.

Oh yeah!
Clearly it's far from ideal the way it is now.
When/if it will not connect at all to router's wireless because it has a ethernet backhaul, we can start hoping that we'll be able to choose the channels for the node.

Current model is not broken, i would say, but there's plenty of space for improvement!

Mine appears to be connecting on 5G-2 for the backhaul, but it also puts other devices on the backhaul. Interesting, unless I am misinterpreting this, is that it also creates a backhaul on the 2.4 Ghz radio as well. I would think something like Orbi does would provide the best setup where it creates a single backhaul using the 5G-2 radio and then you essentially have a dual-band connection which uses that high bandwidth backhaul.

How do you check which channel is used for back haul?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Simple way is to check on router the interface node is attached to. In wireless logs.
Another way with a wireless monitor: you'll find node broadcasting its bssid on the same channel as router.

I am getting a ton of these in the log file! Port aggregation is off. Only 1 port used to connect PC.
Any ideas? PC plugged into eth7, just changed to eth3 to see what happens.

Feb 2 08:47:22 roamast: eth8: add client [XX:0e:28:95] to monitor list
Feb 2 08:47:52 roamast: eth7: add client [XX0e:28:95] to monitor list
Feb 2 09:03:47 roamast: eth7: add client [XX:ca:52:74] to monitor list
Feb 2 09:04:17 roamast: eth8: add client [XX:ca:52:74] to monitor list
Feb 2 09:07:02 roamast: eth7: add client [XX61:df:78] to monitor list
Feb 2 09:07:37 roamast: eth8: add client [XX61:df:78] to monitor list
Feb 2 09:08:17 roamast: eth7: add client [XX:df:78] to monitor list
Feb 2 09:43:57 roamast: eth7: add client [XXa:51:79] to monitor list
Feb 2 09:44:27 roamast: eth8: add client XX:51:79] to monitor list
Feb 2 09:45:02 roamast: eth7: add client [XXa:51:79] to monitor list
Feb 2 09:47:27 roamast: eth8: add client [XX::28:95] to monitor list
Feb 2 09:47:57 roamast: eth7: add client [XXe:28:95] to monitor list