What's new

Aimesh goes down daily or every few hours

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ldeveraux

Occasional Visitor
To start out, I don't have ethernet backhaul enabled (should I?)

My system:
1x AiMesh router: RT-AX68U on asuswrt-merlin firmware 386.3_2 (downgraded yesterday from 386.7_2)
4x nodes either RT-AC68U or P, all on the latest stock firmware

Background:
About a month ago I upgraded all my units from 386.5_2 to 386.7_0 and didn't see any issues. This was in my infrequent check for updates, I didn't realize 386.5_2 wasn't the latest anymore. Then a week ago I upgraded everything to 386.7_2 and the poop hit the fan. The connection kept dropping for all my nodes, though the devices would remain connected to them. A simple reboot of the nodes would get them back up and running, but it wasn't stable and could happen again within an hour.

My Fix:
The only thing I found that got me back to stable systemwas to downgrade the main router to 386.3_2 and turn off WIFI 6. Then I reset all the nodes and updated them to the latest stock firmware, as I read in various threads that was the optimal approach for nodes.

My Question:
I had turned WIFI 6 on a few months ago and it was working gangbusters, it has only been within the past week or so that everything went unusable. Can anyone explain what was going on here? I've reset everything multiple times with the exception of the main router whose settings I haven't backed up yet and don't want to lose. I realize there are countless settings I could change and parameters I haven't mentioned. The main router is feeding into a FIOS modem/router that is handling port forwarding, DHCP, and my DNS. Is it the WIFI 6 that broke everything, or the upgrade to 386.7_2? I'm at a loss here..

I don't have ethernet backhaul enabled (should I?)

Only if you have Ethernet cables to your nodes.

1x AiMesh router: RT-AX68U

This router has reported 5GHz connection issues, perhaps causing your wireless AiMesh issues:

Manual button reboot of the main router can mess with aimesh device discovery, scheduled reboot I find their isn’t a issue. I would suggest Ethernet backhaul if possible, and if running Ethernet cable is a issue you can even just buy a cheap power line adapter kit (make sure you find one that works well with multiple if you need that, they normally come as pairs) I’ve found they help as a failover incase wifi signal is ever lost for a bit and keeps aimesh device discovery happy.

I would also check signal strength of the nodes just to make sure they are in a optimal location, 5ghz/6ghz do not penetrate walls very well.

Both do the same thing. What's the difference?

Using reboot from the UI or scheduled reboot also tells the nodes to reboot. Hard power off by the power button kills the router and does not reboot the nodes.

My Question:
I had turned WIFI 6 on a few months ago and it was working gangbusters, it has only been within the past week or so that everything went unusable. Can anyone explain what was going on here? I've reset everything multiple times with the exception of the main router whose settings I haven't backed up yet and don't want to lose. I realize there are countless settings I could change and parameters I haven't mentioned. The main router is feeding into a FIOS modem/router that is handling port forwarding, DHCP, and my DNS. Is it the WIFI 6 that broke everything, or the upgrade to 386.7_2? I'm at a loss here..

Given all that... I would consider recommissioning your AiMesh in AP Mode and get the AX68U in AP Mode and one AC68U node working first. Hard Reset or webUI Restore+Initialize the AX68U current firmware to its defaults settings and configure it from scratch. Reset and add an AC68U node. If that works well, add the remaining nodes if you need additional coverage... beware too much WiFi in too little an area.

If all nodes have wired backhaul, enable Ethernet Backhaul Mode to disable all wireless backhauls (WAN only; no failover; free all WLANs for client use only). Confirm node Backhaul Connection Priority Auto (or WAN only).

Guest WLANs will not be isolated from the ISP LAN when using AP Mode.

If you don't want to use AiMesh in AP Mode but instead continue with your current arrangement, AiMesh in Router Mode, still recomission the network/firmware as noted.

Reset FAQ
Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE (fw defaults)
Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs partition (fw defaults+clear logs)

o Remove nodes from AiMesh to Reset, wait
o Restore+Initialize root node to Hard Reset, wait
o Configure root node from scratch; do not Restore from .cfg file

OE

Last edited:
Given all that... I would consider recommissioning your AiMesh in AP Mode and get the AX68U in AP Mode and one AC68U node working first. Hard Reset or webUI Restore+Initialize the AX68U current firmware to its defaults settings and configure it from scratch. Reset and add an AC68U node. If that works well, add the remaining nodes if you need additional coverage... beware too much WiFi in too little an area.

If all nodes have wired backhaul, enable Ethernet Backhaul Mode to disable all wireless backhauls (WAN only; no failover; free all WLANs for client use only). Confirm node Backhaul Connection Priority Auto (or WAN only).

If you don't want to use AiMesh in AP Mode but instead continue with your current arrangement, AiMesh in Router Mode, still recomission the network/firmware as noted.

Reset FAQ
Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE (fw defaults)
Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs partition (fw defaults+clear logs)

OE
B20CDF85-788E-4FFF-AE28-8BF1FAF3483A.jpeg

Backhaul connection priority works pretty well without needing to go full Ethernet backhaul mode. That said my primary router is the GT-AX11000 a tri band router so my experience might not be the same.

Note: not all my ssid bands are the same name otherwise you’d see 2.4ghz as a fallback as well.

View attachment 44849

Backhaul connection priority works pretty well without needing to go full Ethernet backhaul mode. That said my primary router is the GT-AX11000 a tri band router so my experience might not be the same.

The OP's first question was whether or not they should enable Ethernet Backhaul Mode. We've answered that.

EBM means, 'if all nodes are wired backhaul, then disable all wireless backhauls for a more stable network and better wireless client connections and user experience, especially when the wireless backhauls are shared with clients, i.e. dual-band routers'. But even tri-band routers struggle to fit dedicated wireless backhauls into only so much usable radio spectrum.

If using EBM, then node Backhaul Connection Priority is fixed to 'WAN only'... there are no alternate backhauls, no failover to wireless backhauls, and no option to choose node Backhaul Connection Priority... it's fixed to 'WAN only'.

If all nodes have a wired backhaul and all nodes have a dedicated wireless backhaul/band, you might want to not use EBM to allow failover to the alternate backhaul, wired or wireless, but you had better test this first since it may not work for all wired backhaul implementations and node Backhaul Connection Priorities.

I would argue that wired backhaul only is plenty good enough... all of that wireless backhaul (once you get them arranged and working after every firmware upgrade!) will sit there unused 99.9999% of the time, consuming hardware resources, challenging firmware logic and execution, and cluttering up the radio spectrum with unnecessary noise.

OE

The OP's first question was whether or not they should enable Ethernet Backhaul Mode. We've answered that.

EBM means, 'if all nodes are wired backhaul, then disable all wireless backhauls for a more stable network and better wireless client connections and user experience, especially when the wireless backhauls are shared with clients, i.e. dual-band routers'. But even tri-band routers struggle to fit dedicated wireless backhauls into only so much usable radio spectrum.

If using EBM, then node Backhaul Connection Priority is fixed to 'WAN only'... there are no alternate backhauls, no failover to wireless backhauls, and no option to choose node Backhaul Connection Priority... it's fixed to 'WAN only'.

If all nodes have a wired backhaul and all nodes have a dedicated wireless backhaul/band, you might want to not use EBM to allow failover to the alternate backhaul, wired or wireless, but you had better test this first since it may not work for all wired backhaul implementations and node Backhaul Connection Priorities.

I would argue that wired backhaul only is plenty good enough... all of that wireless backhaul will sit there unused 99.9999% of the time, consuming hardware resources, challenging firmware logic and execution, and cluttering up the radio spectrum with unnecessary noise.

OE

In OP’s case I would agree unless your wireless exceeds 1gbe wired connection speeds in which case if you don’t have 2.5gbe on all routers and nodes and want that extra speed for LAN purposes. Anyways that a little off track.

In OP’s case I would agree unless your wireless exceeds 1gbe wired connection speeds in which case if you don’t have 2.5gbe on all routers and nodes and want that extra speed for LAN purposes. Anyways that a little off track.
OK, I have ethernet cables to my nodes, one has its own 32 port router connected to it. But my nodes are clearly not wired to the main router, I won't be doing that, my working area is far too large. I guess I don't understand what backhaul mode is nor how/why to utilize it.

Reset FAQ

OE
I think I led you astray as my main router, the RT-AX68U, is in AP mode not Wireless Router Mode. I didn't know Wireless Router Mode was a thing, so that's my fault. Does that change the suggestion knowing that I'm already in AP mode with AiMesh?
Only if you have Ethernet cables to your nodes.

This router has reported 5GHz connection issues, perhaps causing your wireless AiMesh issues:

[/URL]
I just did the entire dance multiple times and I have 4 nodes connected to the mesh and haven't dropped connection since. My concern is that this randomly started, I think after upgrading firmware recently. I can't confirm what step exactly did it. All I know is that downgrading the main to 386.3_2, updating all nodes to latest stock fw, and disabling WIFI6 made it stable. I'd really like WIFI 6 back again, but no mention of it in that thread (that I found). They seem to hope that the latest fw update fixed WIFI 5 drops, but that was earlier this week. Am I chasing my tail here? I don't care what fw versions any of my devices are on, just that it's stable. Do I need WIFI6? I honestly don't know the benefits, but it sounds better ;)

OK, I have ethernet cables to my nodes,

So why not use wired backhauls, AX68U LAN to AC68U WAN, and enabled EBM to disable all wireless backhauls?

Also, the AC68Us do not support Smart Connect, so disable that and define different SSIDs per band.

one has its own 32 port router connected to it.

32-port switch, not router, yes?

But my nodes are clearly not wired to the main router, I won't be doing that, my working area is far too large. I guess I don't understand what backhaul mode is nor how/why to utilize it.

For wired backhauls, AC68U nodes would be wired to the AX68U root node.

EBM was fully explained above. Read it again.

I think I led you astray as my main router, the RT-AX68U, is in AP mode not Wireless Router Mode. I didn't know Wireless Router Mode was a thing, so that's my fault. Does that change the suggestion knowing that I'm already in AP mode with AiMesh?

Wireless Router Mode is the default mode... how can you not know what a wireless router is?

Now that you have explained that your AiMesh is already in AP Mode, then you don't have to consider switching to that mode as was suggested above.

Given you are using all of your ASUS routers in Aimesh AP Mode, why are you using Asuswrt-Merlin firmware?... the AiMesh code in ASUSWRT is closed source and is the same code as in Asuswrt-Merlin. Instead, use the latest stock ASUSWRT firmware on ALL nodes and recomission your AiMesh as outlined above... from scratch.

I'd really like WIFI 6 back again

If you enable it, consider using WPA2 only to see if that helps wireless client/node connections. But if you use wired backhauls only, you don't need to worry about wireless node connections.

OE

So why not use wired backhauls, AX68U LAN to AC68U WAN, and enabled EBM to disable all wireless backhauls?

Also, the AC68Us do not support Smart Connect, so disable that and define different SSIDs per band.

32-port switch, not router, yes?

For wired backhauls, AC68U nodes would be wired to the AX68U root node.

EBM was fully explained above. Read it again.

Wireless Router Mode is the default mode... how can you not know what a wireless router is?

Now that you have explained that your AiMesh is already in AP Mode, then you don't have to consider switching to that mode as was suggested above.

Given you are using all of your ASUS routers in Aimesh AP Mode, why are you using Asuswrt-Merlin firmware?... the AiMesh code in ASUSWRT is closed source and is the same code as in Asuswrt-Merlin. Instead, use the latest stock ASUSWRT firmware on ALL nodes and recomission your AiMesh as outlined above... from scratch.

If you enable it, consider using WPA2 only to see if that helps wireless client/node connections. But if you use wired backhauls only, you don't need to worry about wireless node connections.

OE
Look, I don't know what I'm doing. I bought my first AC68U to use as the main router before AiMesh was a thing. It was the main and I had old WRT54G wireless bridges. I've since upgraded everything and then had the mesh up and running. It's still running now, but I don't know enough about it to answer every question. I'm trying, but you tell me to read about backhauls it's easier said than done.

All of my nodes have a combination of wired and wireless connections, should I still apply backhauls? I'm not sure the advantage of asuswrt-merlin over Asus's stock firmwares to be honest.

I'm not sure the advantage of asuswrt-merlin over Asus's stock firmwares to be honest.

Run stock Asuswrt on all routers for best AiMesh stability and compatibility. If you have wires to the nodes - use Ethernet backhaul for best performance. Reduce the number of nodes to the minimum required - more nodes don't make your Wi-Fi better, only worse.

F59C4B86-4680-4F5F-8F6D-3971C3C061D8.jpeg

98EDA4D1-EF3A-4637-ABEE-37E032C659E2.jpeg

So he has a idea what he’s looking for if he’s able to run Ethernet to the nodes. If not because of physical constraints 1gbe or 2gbe Ethernet power line adapters is a alternative to keep using EBM. If he’s not willing to use EBM (I’m confused about if he can or cannot, as he might be misunderstanding the routers operating modes) then wifi mesh only is his only option if he must.

Last edited:
Guys, you're only confusing @ldeveraux more. Stock Asuswrt on AX68U, router mode. AX disabled, if not needed. Smart Connect disabled for compatibility. Stock Asuswrt on AC68U nodes, wired or wireless. If wired - Ethernet backhaul. Follow Asus AiMesh setup instructions. Reduce the nodes to minimum required. Convert extra routers to media bridges, if needed. This is what he has to do and there are easy to follow instructions online.

I agree, but there is nothing much to skin here. Just a bunch of routers in average user hands. No 3rd party software needed. Just read the manual and follow the instructions. My only advice is to reduce the number of routers. I'm highly in doubt he needs 5x routers in AiMesh.

I agree, but there is nothing much to skin here. Just a bunch of routers in average user hands. No 3rd party software needed. Just read the manual and follow the instructions. My only advice is to reduce the number of routers. I'm highly in doubt he needs 5x routers in AiMesh.
Each of my 5 routers has devices hard wired to it because they don't support WIFI. This AiMesh system was working perfectly for > a year until I decided to update my routers to 386.7 and then 386.7_2. I won't apologize again for not being an expert in this area, I'm just looking for suggestions. I see that you've given yours, and I've followed it; it works mostly for now, though connection keeps dropping across the board. Instead of just fixing it, I'd like to understand why updating to the latest firmware would cause this, or if maybe something else I might have done caused it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!