What's new

AiMesh nodes disconnect since 386.1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes, i am having same issues also running on Merlin 386.1.2 with setup of RT-AC86U as main router and RT-AC68U as AIMesh Node. Seeing from the log, the AIMesh Node will disconnect a few times in a day and this is happening every day so i am not sure what is causing this. Kindly report back your findings and if 386.2 still can't resolve this issue, i have to roll back to 384.19 for the stability.

1617657018128.png

No disconnects on the main router both 2.4 and 5, node has same amount of uptime on 5 band but 2.4 has dropped on Merlin 386.2

1617717514122.png

1 Day 20 is my RT-AC68U and its node which is wireless. 32 days is my two DSL-N55U in media bridge.

I have started a new trial today:
RT-AC68U Router: 386.2
RT-AC67U Nodes: 3.0.0.4.386_41634-g08f88ae

Upgrade with Factory Reset on all Nodes.

My Config Changes from Default:
- PPPoE Setup
- NAT Settings for VOIP (WAN - NAT Passthrough -> No Helper)
- Network Protection Enabled
- DNS, DNSSEC, and DNS-over-TLS Config
- NTP Server Enabled
- Roaming assistant enabled

Let's see how it works in the next few days.
Hi, how's your trial results so far? Does 384.19 have better Aimesh node connectivity than 386.2?

Hi, how's your trial results so far? Does 384.19 have better Aimesh node connectivity than 386.2?
I am running 386.2 on main router and 384.19 on node here's my uptimes. 2.4 at the top seems to stay up for 2 days on the node followed by 5ghz on the node 5days and main router 6days on both 2.4 and 5ghz.
1618428088207.png

6 days something hours the node 5 g stayed up, tried this with 2 different AC68U's so cant be hardware.

Still connected loss one to two times a day. View attachment 33363
What application are you using to monitor the connection?

I'm having the same problem where a Node is dropping connections once or twice a day. I never had any problems until I installed Merlin on the main router. Even though the aimesh portion of the FW is closed source and unchanged by Merlin, there must be some sort of interaction taking place.

I've been capturing the logs each time someone gets disconnected, but I haven't been able to get any useful information.

From which stock Firmware version have you moved to Merlin?

I use an icinga2 instance on a RasperryPi connected to the Router.

I have now upgraded my nodes to 9.0.0.4.386.41994, if this won't help, switching to stock FW on the Router is my next step.

How did this go? I'm also seeing issues with my aimesh node inexplicably disconnecting randomly when running 386.1_2. I've also tried running the latest stock fw on the node but have seen the same problem. Maybe just putting 384.19 on the node would be better.
Hey @ech, I have not seen this issue after updating the firmware to 386.2. I did a hard reset before moving to 386.2

From which stock Firmware version have you moved to Merlin?

I use an icinga2 instance on a RasperryPi connected to the Router.

I have now upgraded my nodes to 9.0.0.4.386.41994, if this won't help, switching to stock FW on the Router is my next step.
I was on stock (RT-AX88U) 3.0.0.4.384_9566 back in November 2020 when I switched to Merlin 384.19. I don't recall what FW the node (RT-AC86U) was on.

Immediately after switching, my main router would reboot every couple of days. I alleviated the issue with the main router by scheduling a reboot every night at 0230; however, the node still kicks clients off once or twice a day.

Which router is your RasperryPi connected to, the master or one of the nodes? I noticed the unreachable host in your log is 192.168.1.1, which suggests your main router is having issues. In my case, my main router router doesn't have any problems. Only clients connected to a node are disconnected. During this time the node router is still reachable, it just decides to randomly kick of clients.

Hey @ech, I have not seen this issue after updating the firmware to 386.2. I did a hard reset before moving to 386.2
Maybe my "problem" is different... I don't see anyone mentioning "restart_wireless" in their logs, which is what I took to be a problem.

It doesn't happen all that often and I haven't actually had complaints from those attached to the mesh node about issues (maybe they had connected to another node when the restart_wireless events occur). Possibly I was finding a problem where one didn't exist... though I'd suspect if I had connections using that node when the reset was done, they'd drop and be unhappy.

I'm on 386.2_2 as of last weekend (or whenever it came out).

Which router is your RasperryPi connected to, the master or one of the nodes? I noticed the unreachable host in your log is 192.168.1.1, which suggests your main router is having issues. In my case, my main router router doesn't have any problems. Only clients connected to a node are disconnected. During this time the node router is still reachable, it just decides to randomly kick of clients.
Currently, the PI is connected to my Office Node, which is the most critical location to monitor my "Work Connection".
So, in this setup, the Node lost connection to the Router.

Running Merlin 386.3_2 on Ax86u router and Ax86u node connected with 2.5G Lan ethernet backhaul.

I am also having issues with the node randomly disconnecting itself the reconnecting itself.
Sometimes when it reconnects, it becomes 10/100 MPS on the uplink instead of 2.5G. I only have one ethernet connecting the router 2.5G lan port to node 2.5G lan port.

Any suggestions to fix this constant disconnect? Just wait for new firmware or try Asus firmware on node only?

Have you tried different Ethernet cables (including different brands)?

Have you fully reset your network?

Have you tried different Control Channels?

Yes, all the above may help with disconnecting issues.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!