What's new

AiMesh nodes using ethernet backhaul

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eglons

New Around Here
Hi, I want to cable up the house so that my 3 routers can connect with wired backhaul. Do I need to connect both nodes to the main router by ethernet or can I daisy chain the routers router -> node1 -> node2 (I currently use this config with wireless backhaul).

Also, is it possible to take the node ethernet connections from an ethernet hub so I just need to run one long cable to the hub and then 2 shorter ones to the nodes?

Hopefully someone has tried this and knows the answer!

I'm not sure...did you check asus' website?
If they haven't given any direction, I would think a switch would be the preferred method to implement rather than a hub. That switch would likely have to be a 2.5GHz unit if your router is current hardware, and that means Cat6 cabling and a length limit between it and the switch (30m? 50?), and from that switch to the nodes (the same again, 30-50m). It's probably possible to daisy chain...the WAN port is surely 2.5GHz
Everything else wired could be Cat5e (GigE, 1000Mbit ethernet)
Start here: which router model(s)?

All the above should work.

As long as any client devices are not saturating the switches (there are no Ethernet hubs anymore) concurrently with a downstream device requesting full ISP speeds, you'll be fine. :)

Hi, I want to cable up the house so that my 3 routers can connect with wired backhaul. Do I need to connect both nodes to the main router by ethernet or can I daisy chain the routers router -> node1 -> node2 (I currently use this config with wireless backhaul).

Also, is it possible to take the node ethernet connections from an ethernet hub so I just need to run one long cable to the hub and then 2 shorter ones to the nodes?

Hopefully someone has tried this and knows the answer!
I have AiMesh setup for wired backhaul on my system (3x-AX86U and 1x-AC88U) and it has been flawless for the most part. I have a connected house, so have 2 ethernet jacks in every room. For the nodes, they all connect to the main AX86U (LAN 1) via a dedicated 5 port gigabit switch. The rest of the room connections are on a separate 16 port gigabit switch that connects to the main AX86U (LAN 2). I had previously tried to daisy chain the nodes together, but it was very unstable and the furthest node would often disconnect and reboot. Also, I haven't yet gotten the 2.5 Gbps port on the AX86U to work with AiMesh. Hope this helps.

Run each node to the root router or daisy chain them. I would recommend direct connection with no switch between the root router and an AiMesh node.

Run each node to the root router or daisy chain them. I would recommend direct connection with no switch between the root router and an AiMesh node.
Thanks for the tip. Planning out changes to my network. I currently have three Merlin flashed ac routers in aimesh using wireless backhaul. Soon I will add at least a GT-AXE11000 as main in aimesh and add repurpose another Netgear as an access point in the basement (not mesh). Before reading this I was going to try running the node connected to a netgear switch but my gut was telling me there might be issues, especially if the aimesh is expecting direct connection for Ethernet backhaul. Thanks again I will pull more wires (Ethernet cables) from the main router to the nodes and not go through the switch.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!