What's new

AiMesh not working anymore on 2 latest Merlin firmwares

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

+1 to using the Ethernet Backhaul method. AC68U as main (386.3_2) and AC68P as node (386.3_beta3 = RT-AC68U_9.0.0.4_386_55919-g4b63ee0).

What isn't explicitly called out anywhere here is: When doing the initial mesh node discovery, WAIT for the node's Wi-Fi connection icon to change to an ETHERNET icon before proceeding. I was always too quick to start the pairing process and it always failed if the Wi-Fi icon had not changed... It takes about 5 -15 extra seconds for that icon to change.

As a note I have 2x RT-AC68U and with the latest firmware I was also unable to ever setup Mesh on clean factory reset routers.

The only way I found to fix this issue was to downgrade both routers to 386.1_2. This version successfully sets up the Mesh network without issue over WiFi. Once the network was setup I then upgraded the firmware and it continued to work fine.

Please review that you have done all of the following.
You had 2 hard reset RT-AC68U on Merlin 386.3_2 firmware.
You also then, independantly, did a software reset Administration => Restore/Save/Upload Settings and checked the Initialize all the settings... checkbox => Restore
You than again setup one as a router.
You then connected an Ethernet cable from the Router's LAN port to the Node's WAN port (critical) and then pressed the AIMesh => + Add AiMesh Node button.
At this point was you device found or not found?
If found, did your device have or shortly after get an Ethernet icon?

Please note any specifc datails you can about your hardware versions (RT-AC68u or RT-AC68uV2). See the back label if you do not have boxes.

You should be able to get Merlin 386.2_4 to work on the router and node, but you only really need stock on the node to keep it simple.

Please review that you have done all of the following.
You had 2 hard reset RT-AC68U on Merlin 386.3_2 firmware.
You also then, independantly, did a software reset Administration => Restore/Save/Upload Settings and checked the Initialize all the settings... checkbox => Restore
You than again setup one as a router.
You then connected an Ethernet cable from the Router's LAN port to the Node's WAN port (critical) and then pressed the AIMesh => + Add AiMesh Node button.
At this point was you device found or not found?
If found, did your device have or shortly after get an Ethernet icon?

Please note any specifc datails you can about your hardware versions (RT-AC68u or RT-AC68uV2). See the back label if you do not have boxes.

You should be able to get Merlin 386.2_4 to work on the router and node, but you only really need stock on the node to keep it simple.
Appreciate the reply but I'm not going to go back through the pain of trying to set it up at this point.

I can confirm that I followed the "Initialize" steps as per you wrote. I did not use ethernet to set it up (it's supposed to work with WiFi anyways, isn't it? It certainly does with the older firmware I mentioned).

I can get the hw version of the routers later today.

It's suppose to, but does NOT always work with WIFI. So far, for those that reported this issue with WIFI, it has worked with Ethernet.

HW was only relevant if ALL the steps failed, thank you.

Hi Just another update that triggered my AiMesh config an that disaprared my two AiMesh routers.

I change back from Diversion to Pi-hole. After this, most clients couln'd find the internet. And after a recon ect all AiMesh Nodes where gone.

@Reef2009 Have you tried to connect the Router's LAN to Node WAN and add it back?
Including your devices and firmware would be helpful
Ha RangerZ,

I'm sorry. I had no time to troubleshoot because of worm. So I reset everything to make sure we have internet. I'll read all post in case it happens again.

+1 to using the Ethernet Backhaul method. AC68U as main (386.3_2) and AC68P as node (386.3_beta3 = RT-AC68U_9.0.0.4_386_55919-g4b63ee0).

What isn't explicitly called out anywhere here is: When doing the initial mesh node discovery, WAIT for the node's Wi-Fi connection icon to change to an ETHERNET icon before proceeding. I was always too quick to start the pairing process and it always failed if the Wi-Fi icon had not changed... It takes about 5 -15 extra seconds for that icon to change.
Thanks @Silly Rabbit, this worked perfectly for me using ethernet backhaul and also the Asus Router Android app.

I stood by the AiMesh node while it restarted from a reset, after updating to that beta firmware. I thought the ethernet icon (WAN port) just wasn't going to change from red to blue. In the app's AiMesh setup discovery UI, the router was first discovered wirelessly (there's an icon to indicate the connection), but then I searched again and saw the router's light turn blue just as it showed up in the app as ethernet-connected. Then the connection routine went ahead flawlessly (took about 7 minutes). Subsequently, I upgraded the node back to 386.3_2 through my main router's interface.

My setup is a RT-AC68P as the primary, then a RT-AC1750 B1 (the one I just changed to an AiMesh node) and a RT-AC66U B1 that was already switched to an AiMesh node.

Thank you guys for your help! Finally I was able to configure aimesh on my 2 AC68U v3 with Merlin 386.3_2. The only way it works is through the wired connection as described by RangerZ. Before that I spent 2 evenings trying to set it via wifi.
The router details:
IMG_1840.jpg

I have two older RT-AC66U B1 that did not work connecting via AIMESH using the latest FW. 386.3_2

I followed the creator of this topic and downgraded to 386.2_4, worked as a charm after that.

I connected via Wifi.

I changed too many variables at once. AC1900P router AC68 node, 2_4, worked. Replaced AC1900P with AX88u (to get Cake QOS). Last two hardware configurations: AX88u router AC68u node Merlin 3_2, some clients couldn't connect. Disabled WPA3 and AX, and the clients could connect to the router but not the node. As others, time and WFH were pressing, so I replaced the AC68u with AX58u, 3_2. No problems since. $/time > 1.

With two members of the household WFH, and one confined to bed streaming, I'm not willing to try combinations. I'm ok with upgrading both my routers after lots of years. My next change will be to Merlin 4_<stable>, and only if it's stable for ME.

Thanks to those who have the ability to test many of the combinations and run the Alphas and Betas.

Successfully added AiMesh node using the Ethernet cable to WAN port method with:

AiMesh Router on Merlin 386.4 -> AiMesh Node on Merlin 386.4

and also

AiMesh Router on Merlin 386.4 -> AiMesh Node on stock FW 386_45987 (prior to Merlin 386.4, this combination worked with Merlin 386.3_2 at the router also)

Fact is AiMesh doesn't work with Merlin or Asus firmware when connecting an AX to AC router even if you connect via Ethernet. The moment you switch to WiFi and move the devices more than a metre apart they will lose connectivity.

My mesh setup has had issues since the latest update as well. AC86U with RP-AC55.
I have to disable ethernet backhaul mode, after the firmware update it now says:

"* The following node(s) do not fully support this feature temporarily.
RP-AC55 (Bedroom)
Your configurations might not work as expected. Please regularly check your firmware version of the node(s) are up-to-date."

Ethernet backhaul mode did work recently, and now I'm assuming something in the AIMesh on the AC86U side was changed that broke this, and a future update to the RP-AC55 may come out? I'd gotten the impression ASUS abandoned the RP-AC55 at this point.

Something I've not figured out yet.. disabling Ethernet Backhaul makes the alert go away, but the node reports it's hardwired and using the ethernet connection. WiFi roaming blocklist doesn't seem to be working anymore either.. I may just have to reset the entire system back to factory and start over :(

Last edited:
Hello,

AiMesh seems to be broken on 2 latest Merlin FW. I have 2 RT-AC68U routers. One is being used as a host router and the other one is used as AiMesh node.

I used many hours yesterday trying to get AiMesh to work. The node was found in search but after connecting for only 1-2% it said "unable to connect". In some cases the node was not found at all.

In every case I did a complete factory reset. Here's what I tried.

Flashed Merlin 386.3 firmware to both AC68U: AiMesh didn't work
Flashed latest official ASUS firmware to node 3.0.0.4.386.43129: AiMesh didn't work
Flashed Merlin 386.2_6 firmware to host router: AiMesh didn't work
Flashed official 3.0.0.4.386.43129 to host router: AiMesh working perfectly

As I need some functions of Merlin firmware I don't want to use the official firmware on my host router.

Flashed Merlin 386.2_4 firmware to host router: AiMesh working perfectly

So finally I got AiMesh back to work with this combo:
Host router: Merlin 386.2_4
AiMesh node: ASUS official 3.0.0.4.386.43129

->>So in this experiment I found that AiMesh is not working on Merlin 386.3 and 386.2_6 ->>but is working on 386.2_4.
"is working on 386.2_4"
Thanks I was looking for a working answer with solution to get AiMesh working with RT-AC5300 and my RT-AC88 routers too after downgrade from all latest 386.7_2 Versions. My ZenWiFi AX mini and Lyra Voice have the latest official fw. ZenWiFi AX mini is AiMesh Master but wpa3 I can not choose cause the LyraVoice will open my wifi acc to public without any wpa password when I do this so I use wpa2.
Fwd 386.2_4 is working with AiMesh, was spend half a day before I found the answer here. Thanks a LOT!

"is working on 386.2_4"
Thanks I was looking for a working answer with solution to get AiMesh working with RT-AC5300 and my RT-AC88 routers too after downgrade from all latest 386.7_2 Versions. My ZenWiFi AX mini and Lyra Voice have the latest official fw. ZenWiFi AX mini is AiMesh Master but wpa3 I can not choose cause the LyraVoice will open my wifi acc to public without any wpa password when I do this so I use wpa2.
Fwd 386.2_4 is working with AiMesh, was spend half a day before I found the answer here. Thanks a LOT!
this is a 2 year old thread

That's what makes this sad. I still need to revert to the same very old firmware version when I need to setup my AiMesh from scratch again on RT-AC68U devices. It's never been fixed.
complain to ASUS. Merlin does not touch a AiMesh stuff

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!