What's new

AiMesh on AC68U with 32799 firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WindyT

Occasional Visitor
Hello, I have bought a used AC68U from ebay. The router works fine and I have upgraded it to the latest firmware: 3.0.0.4.384_32799-gfe72567.

However I cannot get the AiMesh icon to appear in the GUI. I did reset, restore to defaults and with the new firmware the "new" initialize option - no go.

Any ideas on what might be wrong?

My AC3100 has the icon and this was purchased as the node...

Thank you

Attachments

• 2018-10-31_17-15-34.jpg
    2018-10-31_17-15-34.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 711
Does it have a T-Mobile logo on the front?

Then you've been ripped off. It's a TM-AC1900 that someone converted into an RT-AC68U, however the conversion isn't going to allow running certain features that are not available on the TM-AC1900, such as AiMesh.

but on the bright side, you're still going to have a pretty rocking network.
If you're willing to dig a little deeper and maybe hack a little, you may find there are ways to use the equipment you have to make your own mesh, outside of the networking hardware's firmware. (It'll help a bit if you happen to have a not-too outdated computer collecting dust somewhere)

Then you've been ripped off. It's a TM-AC1900 that someone converted into an RT-AC68U, however the conversion isn't going to allow running certain features that are not available on the TM-AC1900, such as AiMesh.

In what way does the conversion not allow AiMesh? I'm running 3 of these in an AiMesh configuration with no difficulty.

I do agree that anyone selling hacked TM-AC1900's as RT-AC68U's is ripping off buyers (and probably T-Mobile as well).

I am running AIMesh on a TM-AC1900 that I "converted into an RT-AC68U" along with a BlueCave which is 100% wireless connected and sitting on a bookshelf in the 2nd floor hallway - chose it somewhat for aesthetics.
RT-AC68U Current Version : 3.0.0.4.384_32799-gfe72567
BLUE_CAVE Current Version : 3.0.0.4.384_32546-g13e704e

The RT-AC68U is the base and the BlueCave is the AIMesh Node
I have really had no issues with management or connectivity other than limited view of traffic per device for those on the BlueCave when using the RT-AC68U base Traffic Analyzer

Speedtest over WiFi is about 250Mbps through RT-AC68U and 170Mbps through the wireless connected Mesh BlueCave, perhaps another config could be better, but this is plenty fast for my use.

Hand off throughout the house between access points using a single SSID seems quick and efficient. (I have an iOS Shortcut that I use to identify BSSID and verify which radio and channel I am on)

Last edited:
In what way does the conversion not allow AiMesh? I'm running 3 of these in an AiMesh configuration with no difficulty.

Are you running current stock 68U firmware (current fixes and security updates). It has been said that ASUS fixed their firmware to prohibit AiMesh on TM-AC1900 hardware as is demonstrated here by the OP's issue... not able to run AiMesh on a hacked TM-AC1900.

OE

Are you running current stock 68U firmware (current fixes and security updates). It has been said that ASUS fixed their firmware to prohibit AiMesh on TM-AC1900 hardware as is demonstrated here by the OP's issue... not able to run AiMesh on a hacked TM-AC1900.

OE

I tried to provide as much detail as possible , as far as I know it is most recent.

Perhaps it has something to do with wiping the jffs partition.

I can’t comment on what has been said, I can only tell you my personal experience.

Shortcuts by Apple
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shortcuts/id915249334?mt=8

I built a shortcut to get WiFi details SSID and BSSID and then built a lookup dictionary as a map of BSSID to access point.

Basically instead of reporting the BSSID as
14:dd:a9:87:7d:ab, the shortcut shows the result from the dictionary match of
AC68U-5Ghz

Just a quick easy way to see what I am connected to beyond just seeing the SSID in WiFi settings.

Thread cleaned up and locked. No help will be forthcoming for converted TM-AC1900.

Status
Not open for further replies.