1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

AiMesh on AC68U with 32799 firmware

Discussion in 'ASUSWRT - Official' started by WindyT, Oct 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WindyT

WindyT New Around Here

Hello, I have bought a used AC68U from ebay. The router works fine and I have upgraded it to the latest firmware: 3.0.0.4.384_32799-gfe72567.

However I cannot get the AiMesh icon to appear in the GUI. I did reset, restore to defaults and with the new firmware the "new" initialize option - no go.

Any ideas on what might be wrong?

My AC3100 has the icon and this was purchased as the node...

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. dave14305

dave14305 Occasional Visitor

Does it have a T-Mobile logo on the front?

4. WindyT

WindyT New Around Here

Yes it does

5. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Then you've been ripped off. It's a TM-AC1900 that someone converted into an RT-AC68U, however the conversion isn't going to allow running certain features that are not available on the TM-AC1900, such as AiMesh.

dave14305 likes this.
  6. heysoundude

heysoundude Senior Member

but on the bright side, you're still going to have a pretty rocking network.
    If you're willing to dig a little deeper and maybe hack a little, you may find there are ways to use the equipment you have to make your own mesh, outside of the networking hardware's firmware. (It'll help a bit if you happen to have a not-too outdated computer collecting dust somewhere)

7. mstevens

mstevens New Around Here

In what way does the conversion not allow AiMesh? I'm running 3 of these in an AiMesh configuration with no difficulty.

I do agree that anyone selling hacked TM-AC1900's as RT-AC68U's is ripping off buyers (and probably T-Mobile as well).

8. ourcontact

ourcontact Occasional Visitor

I am running AIMesh on a TM-AC1900 that I "converted into an RT-AC68U" along with a BlueCave which is 100% wireless connected and sitting on a bookshelf in the 2nd floor hallway - chose it somewhat for aesthetics.
    RT-AC68U Current Version : 3.0.0.4.384_32799-gfe72567
    BLUE_CAVE Current Version : 3.0.0.4.384_32546-g13e704e

The RT-AC68U is the base and the BlueCave is the AIMesh Node
    I have really had no issues with management or connectivity other than limited view of traffic per device for those on the BlueCave when using the RT-AC68U base Traffic Analyzer

Speedtest over WiFi is about 250Mbps through RT-AC68U and 170Mbps through the wireless connected Mesh BlueCave, perhaps another config could be better, but this is plenty fast for my use.

Hand off throughout the house between access points using a single SSID seems quick and efficient. (I have an iOS Shortcut that I use to identify BSSID and verify which radio and channel I am on)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  9. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Very Senior Member

Are you running current stock 68U firmware (current fixes and security updates). It has been said that ASUS fixed their firmware to prohibit AiMesh on TM-AC1900 hardware as is demonstrated here by the OP's issue... not able to run AiMesh on a hacked TM-AC1900.

OE

10. ourcontact

I tried to provide as much detail as possible , as far as I know it is most recent.

Perhaps it has something to do with wiping the jffs partition.

I can’t comment on what has been said, I can only tell you my personal experience.

11. loveleeyoungae

loveleeyoungae Regular Contributor

Off topic, but can you share what's the ios app?

12. ourcontact

Shortcuts by Apple
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shortcuts/id915249334?mt=8

I built a shortcut to get WiFi details SSID and BSSID and then built a lookup dictionary as a map of BSSID to access point.

Basically instead of reporting the BSSID as
    14:dd:a9:87:7d:ab, the shortcut shows the result from the dictionary match of
    AC68U-5Ghz

Just a quick easy way to see what I am connected to beyond just seeing the SSID in WiFi settings.

HuskyHerder and heysoundude like this.
  13. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

Thread cleaned up and locked. No help will be forthcoming for converted TM-AC1900.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!