What's new

Aimesh Router suggestions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rsunny2012

Regular Contributor
Hello,

i stay in 3 floored townhome. i have recently switched my router from netgear R8500 to Asus ROG Rapture GT-AC5300. i would like to purchase another router and place it on my 3rd floor. i have lan cabling across all my bedrooms. i want to use the ethernet backhaul to any of the oruter and use it as Aimesh

I want some suggestions to purchase additional router
i dont want to purchase Ac5300 as its foot print is way bigger. can someone suggest me between
RT-AC88U
RT-AC3100

since above 2 routers are only dual band, do u guys want me to wait until asus release firmware for Ac3200 ( as AC3200 is tri band) router ?

Experts kindly suggest

I have two GT-AC5300 setup as AiMesh and I can confirm that when connected to the second GT-AC5300 (node) I can receive my full internet download speeds of my fios gigabit (940/880). Since its triband it uses one of the 5ghz band as a wireless backhaul (1700 Mbps) the other 5ghz and 2ghz are used for clients. My iPhone X gets about 650 Mbps down because its hardware is limited, but my other hardwired devices that are connected to the node get close to 920~ down, definitely recommend the setup.

U suggest me to go with ac 5300 ?.
Since I have ethernet cabling across my bedrooms I will hook up 2nd router to use ethernet backhaul. Then I will get to use all 3 bands right ? From second router

if you go with ethernet backhaul then yes your open to use all three bands. You can either have one SSID so your clients will connect to the best band automatically, or you can set it up manually and have different SSID's and select which clients connect to which bands you want. its up to you.

im not suggesting you go with the GT-AC5300, im just sharing from my personal experience that the wireless speeds on the GT are very fast, and so far it has done what I have needed.. you might have different needs.

The RT-AC88U and RT-AC3100 are essentially the same router. The only difference is the 88U having 4 extra ethernet ports.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!