What's new

Aimesh stock to merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mario64

Regular Contributor
Hi all,

My AC3100 finally died Thursday night so I purchased 2x AX68U's. I have them setup in an aimesh configuration with the node hardwired. Both are currently on stock firmware. My question is, what is the process for converting them to rmerlin? If I upgrade the main router will it also upgrade the node or I have to do each one individually? Will the upgrade break aimesh then I have to reconfigure it?

Thank you,
mario

Upgrade each individually, do a factory reset and set up manually. You can upgrade just the router and leave the node on Asus firmware. It will need to be reset to integrate with the new router set up.

Upgrade each individually, do a factory reset and set up manually. You can upgrade just the router and leave the node on Asus firmware. It will need to be reset to integrate with the new router set up.
Great thank you. Shouldn't both be on the same type of firmware?

Great thank you. Shouldn't both be on the same type of firmware?
Not really necessary as long as you use current for each device.

You don't have to reset to factory, just upgrade and take the configuration along. This is per Merlin's documentation and it has worked fine for a few routers that I have upgraded. This is as long as you are in the same software train such as the current 386.

Morris

I would run the same firmware on both, not because Merlin is needed on the node, but because current Asuswrt is newer than current Merlin.

Hi all,

My AC3100 finally died Thursday night so I purchased 2x AX68U's. I have them setup in an aimesh configuration with the node hardwired. Both are currently on stock firmware. My question is, what is the process for converting them to rmerlin? If I upgrade the main router will it also upgrade the node or I have to do each one individually? Will the upgrade break aimesh then I have to reconfigure it?

Thank you,
mario
RMerlin used to recommend running stock on nodes (I haven't seen him comment in a long time so I don't know if he still does). I believe this is because the AiMesh code is all closed, so he doesn't touch it. And the stock firmware is usually on a slightly newer version than Merlin.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online