What's new

AiMesh - Which router as main?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Which router as the main router?

• RT-AC88U

• RT-AC68U

Results are only viewable after voting.

EzPz

New Around Here
Hello everybody,

Let me explain my situation first:

I rent a fairly large room within a 2,800 sqft, 1 floor house. Currently we have two RT-N66Us, one as the main router, and the other as a repeater (the owner doesn't want ethernet cables running through his house).

Most of the devices in the house are connected to the repeater as it's located right in the middle of the house. I am also connected to the repeater, as the main router is so far that I can't even connect to it.

The issue that I am having is when gaming, the connection keeps fluctuating from 70+ mbps to -0.9 mbps and pings elevating extremely. This mainly happens when someone in the house starts watching videos on Netflix or Youtube.

Therefore, I purchased a new RT-AC88U and an RT-AC68U and I'm planning to set them up in an AiMesh system. My question is, which router should I use as the main router and which one as the node? I understand that Asus states to use the higher specification router as the main one, but if the majority of the devices, including myself, will be mainly connected to the node, should I follow Asus' recommendation?

Hello everybody,

I rent a fairly large room within a 2,800 sqft, 1 floor house. Currently we have two RT-N66Us, one as the main router, and the other as a repeater (the owner doesn't want ethernet cables running through his house).

Most of the devices in the house are connected to the repeater as it's located right in the middle of the house. I am also connected to the repeater, as the main router is so far that I can't even connect to it.

The issue that I am having is when gaming, the connection keeps fluctuating from 70+ mbps to -0.9 mbps and pings elevating extremely. This mainly happens when someone in the house starts watching videos on Netflix or Youtube.

Therefore, I purchased a new RT-AC88U and an RT-AC68U and I'm planning to set them up in an AiMesh system. My question is, which router should I use as the main router and which one as the node? I understand that Asus states to use the higher specification router as the main one, but if the majority of the devices, including myself, will be mainly connected to the node, should I follow Asus' recommendation?

Yes, I think so. Currently, the 68U does not support Smart Connect node band steering. I think the 88U does, and should extend that functionality to the 68U node. Then you do not have to use separate SSIDs, which can simplify your WLANs... if Smart Connect works well enough for your wireless clients.

Perhaps buying two 86Us instead would have been better.

OE

Hello everybody,

AC88U: Main
AC68U: Node