What's new

AiMesh - which second router? vs Competition?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have a 100/10 internet connection When you all mention speed, are you talking about WAN or LAN?

Overall I'm definitely more interested in reliable and stable connectivity.

Any other votes for dual AC5300's vs Lyra?

Thanks all

The description, at least in the firmware I am using, is on the "Administration" page the allows selecting "Repeater mode" or "Access Point mode"--not on the LAN page. Perhaps that explanation is missing from the OEM firmware.

The image you posted pertains to that unit's IP Address, not its DHCP function.

You don’t get it. I said DHCP is not supposed to function when you are in repeater mode but when you plug in a wired backhaul into the repeater there is a dhcp conflict my ac5300 ip sometimes gets taken over (192.168.1.1) and the modem goes offline.

Look at the image again. There is no other configuration menu available to look for the dhcp option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 100/10 internet connection When you all mention speed, are you talking about WAN or LAN?

You do realize we are talking about wireless lan speed. N vs AC vs Gigabit Lan. Your clients on WiFi can’t get as fast a connection as fast as your wired connection.

You do realize we are talking about wireless lan speed. N vs AC vs Gigabit Lan. Your clients on WiFi can’t get as fast a connection as fast as your wired connection.

That was my question, WAN or LAN. I'll look further into reviews in regards to performance.

Still can't find a clear cut reason to why NOT dual AC5300'S. Basically the same price and I'd be getting the ROG version as the primary.

You don’t get it. I said DHCP is not supposed to function when you are in repeater mode but when you plug in a wired backhaul into the repeater there is a dhcp conflict my ac5300 ip sometimes gets taken over (192.168.1.1) and the modem goes offline.

Look at the image again. There is no other configuration menu available to look for the dhcp option.

I don't know what else to tell you. It is my understanding that what we call a "router" really has three functions:

1) The real "router" uses NAT to "route" data to other local IP Address, assigned either by DHCP or manually, and

2) It provides an Ethernet switch usually with 4 or 8 physical ports for wired connections, and

3) It includes a built-in wireless Access Point (also known as Wi-Fi) that can use those same data streams.

By definition neither a Repeater nor an Access Point uses DHCP--that function is reserved for the real router described in step 1). And, on my RT-AC68U using John's Fork firmware, that operation is described ("NAT functions are disabled") on the configuration screens. Perhaps you would be happier with either Merlin or John's Fork firmware, as they do provide better explanations to the user.

Shot0003.png

Last edited:
Just noticed one more thing--I think Repeater Mode is intended for wireless operation only. For wired connections use an Access Point instead (plus it will be twice as fast).

That was my question, WAN or LAN. I'll look further into reviews in regards to performance.

Still can't find a clear cut reason to why NOT dual AC5300'S. Basically the same price and I'd be getting the ROG version as the primary.

WLAN is the correct term referring to wireless LAN. WAN = wide area network, that requires a modem to the ISP fiber network or cable.

WLAN speeds gets lower as you go further away from the AP. N has a lower throughput but wider distance. AC has a higher throughput speed but typically half the distance of N in a nutshell.

If you already have a AC5300 buying another ac5300 is good. If you are looking for stability and has nothing yet. Going for a straight mesh setup is better. Buy a ac5300 + Lyra doesn’t work yet as Lyra cannot be added as aimesh node to ac5300 yet.

@Vincent Wong, you say another AC5300 is good, but Lyra is better... Even though it has worse performance. Not sure I'm following ya.

Wouldn't dual 5300's with Smart Connect over AiMesh be the all around most feature rich option? Or is the hesitation just with AiMesh simply not being that good?

Also, Lyra is supposed to support AiMesh soon meaning it could join a 5300 right?

I don't know what else to tell you. It is my understanding that what we call a "router" really has three functions:

1) The real "router" uses NAT to "route" data to other local IP Address, assigned either by DHCP or manually, and

2) It provides an Ethernet switch usually with 4 or 8 physical ports for wired connections, and

3) It includes a built-in wireless Access Point (also known as Wi-Fi) that can use those same data streams.

By definition neither a Repeater nor an Access Point uses DHCP--that function is reserved for the real router described in step 1). And, on my RT-AC68U using John's Fork firmware, that operation is described ("NAT functions are disabled") on the configuration screens. Perhaps you would be happier with either Merlin or John's Fork firmware, as they do provide better explanations to the user.

View attachment 12263

Thank you for your clarifications. I have always wondered what is the key difference between repeater and an AP.
Looks like if you intend to plug in a wired backhaul then use AP mode. (Next question is from the main router Ethernet cable where do you plug the cable into on the AP? Is it the WAN port on the AP when coming from the switch port?)

@Vincent Wong, you say another AC5300 is good, but Lyra is better... Even though it has worse performance. Not sure I'm following ya.

Wouldn't dual 5300's with Smart Connect over AiMesh be the all around most feature rich option? Or is the hesitation just with AiMesh simply not being that good?

Also, Lyra is supposed to support AiMesh soon meaning it could join a 5300 right?

Let me be crystal clear.

If you have already an AC5300 in use buying another AC5300 will work just fine.

The Lyra is meant for people who are not bothered about having the best performance as the hardware specifications is lower than an AC5300; at present Lyra is meant to be deployed as a complete Lyra system not meant to be added to the ASUS router AIMesh system hence any ASUS router will not be able to see the Lyra as an aimesh node.

Lyra is plug and play very simple and uncomplicated.

At the present there is no timeline given to allow other routers to recognize Lyra. I believe if ASUS had intended for Lyra to be used as an aimesh node it would have allowed aimesh latest firmware to recognize it from the start.

Let me be crystal clear.
At the present there is no timeline given to allow other routers to recognize Lyra. I believe if ASUS had intended for Lyra to be used as an aimesh node it would have allowed aimesh latest firmware to recognize it from the start.

How do you know that ? just guest or ...?:)

How do you know that ? just guest or ...?:)

I am making an educated guess based on:

1) all the Aimesh capable routers advertisements and webpage makes no mention of Lyra or even list in the supported devices list Lyra.

2) Lyra has its own microsite that focus on various Lyra models. Lyra Trio, Lyra Mini and Lyra itself.

3) it does barely mention compatible to other routers I believe that meant configuring the Lyra as an AP. But clearly not detected as an aimesh device.

Looks like if you intend to plug in a wired backhaul then use AP mode.
Correct.

(Next question is from the main router Ethernet cable where do you plug the cable into on the AP? Is it the WAN port on the AP when coming from the switch port?
All of the ASUS routers that I have used make all 5 ports the same in AP mode. I use the (formerly) WAN port (blue on my model) just to make it easier to identify cables during troubleshooting.

Secondary AiMesh device recommendation
Buy Tenda MW6 (Amazon Link).

Tenda MW6 Review

1. Install the Firmware Asuswrt-Merlin on the ASUS Router.
2. Disable 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz in the ASUS Router. (Wireless -> Professional -> Enable Radio: No)
3. Connect the WAN port of the Tenda MW6 to a LAN port in the ASUS Router.
4. Use Bridge mode in Tenda MW6.
5. Install FreshJR Adaptive QoS.
6. Use AdGuard DNS for Block ads! (WAN -> Internet Connection -> WAN DNS Setting)

I see you reccomend this, and it is intriguing. With these steps, I could continue using my RT-N66U. Since the routing on that device still works well. Added bonus, it is already setup.

Got the GT-AC5300 and setup AiMesh.

So far, a bit disappointed. Damn near all connections are going to the GT vs. the RT, which is odd because the RT is in a more ideal location for more than half of my WiFi devices.

Further, there's no (unless I'm missing it?) detailed configuration to put priorities on devices.

Not sure I'm going to keep this. Now debating Lyra or Velop again.