What's new

AiMesh - which second router? vs Competition?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Interesting ... after rebooting both, and enabling load balancing on the 5ghz channels, I have a much better split. 15 devices have moved to the RT with a full signal.

Yet, I still see at least one device that would do better by changing. Wish you could configure or manually move.

Got the GT-AC5300 and setup AiMesh.

So far, a bit disappointed. Damn near all connections are going to the GT vs. the RT, which is odd because the RT is in a more ideal location for more than half of my WiFi devices.

Further, there's no (unless I'm missing it?) detailed configuration to put priorities on devices.

Not sure I'm going to keep this. Now debating Lyra or Velop again.

How does the backhaul look... the Wireless Log should list the RSSIs and TX/Rx rates for the node WLAN MACs... this can suggest how the backhaul is operating for the node location.

OE

Yet, I still see at least one device that would do better by changing. Wish you could configure or manually move.

Rebooting a sticky Chromecast here moved it and it has stayed put.

OE

Rebooting a sticky Chromecast here moved it and it has stayed put.

OE

I rebooted, no change. Then I went and measured the strength ... I was wrong, the router was right.

So with this change, I now have one area of the house that is good, just not great. I removed my CoaxFI out of the equation as I wasn't sure if that was problematic. May bring that back into the equation.

OR ... just add a AC66u B1 up there. Hrm.

Dual 5300's and an AC66u ... starting to wonder if just going with a pre-packaged mesh system isn't better?

In reviewing my logs, I'm seeing this, constantly:

Mar 17 10:47:11 kernel: protocol 0800 is buggy, dev eth4

In reviewing my logs, I'm seeing this, constantly:

Mar 17 10:47:11 kernel: protocol 0800 is buggy, dev eth4

Stuff like that puts a damper on the out-of-box experience! :)

Maybe someone here will know what it means.

OE

Ultimately, the clients decide where they want to connect. There are only limited things the APs can do about it.

Ultimately, the clients decide where they want to connect. There are only limited things the APs can do about it.
Being newbie, i guess even a blind squirrel can find a nut. I have 2 RT-AC5300 in Aimesh set up yesterday , and everything seems too be running smoothly Client are connecting where I expect them too and efficiently. Question, should I disable UnNP? Says it could impact on Mesh....I have no idea.

First - very cool forum here.

Second I am only slightly more than a networking idiot... full disclosure...

However, I am having great success with 2 TM1900 connected with a CAT6 cable via a switch - 1 in basement surrounded by HVAC stuff and the other next to my TV, Tivo, Xbox, PC

Cable model - TM#1 ---- switch----TM#2 (TC, PV, Xbox, TiVo)
TM#2 in WAP mode

Same network ID 5Ghz , Same network ID for 2.4Ghz

So far no issues - whole house coverage.
Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.380_3831

I was reading about ASUS flashing back so I guess I will just not update the router.

Great forum, interesting read. Thanks