What's new

AIMesh with 2 AX88U and 1 RT-AC68U - adding 2 more RT-AC68U fails

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pvanosta

Occasional Visitor
I have a working AIMesh with 2 ZenWifi AX and 1 RT-AC68U.

I want to add 2 RT-AC68U and the mesh will not recognize either one. I have tried resetting them (regular reset and hard reset) several times. No go.
The instructions are confusing and I don't know what I am doing wrong. The ZenWifi AX does not see either one of the additional RT-AC68U.
Help?

What firmware is on all the routers? What is a 'regular' vs. a 'hard' reset to you?

Have you ever fully reset the main router?

Your post is confusing me further by stating 2 RT-AX88U's in the title, and 1 RT-AC68U, yet the first post states 2 ZenWi-Fi AX and 2 RT-AC68U's.

You need to provide a clearer overview of your network before any help can be attempted.

apologies, I confused the names. It is two Zen Wifi AX and 1 rt-ac68u in a working Mesh. The other two rt-68U were purchased to add on to the mesh and I can't get anywhere. Now the asus app on my iphone indicates a new firmware is available, but when I try to install it, it keeps failing 'try again'... I with you could just download these firmwares onto a USB stick and manually update these devices...

On the other note: a hard reset is based on the asus support page with holding the reset button 30 seconds, powering off and holding the reset button 30 seconds, powering back up and holding it another 30 seconds

firnware on the AX is 3.0.0.4.386_43181 (on both AX router and node)

firmware on the working rt-ac68u is 3.0.0.4.386.1_2

the new firmware which I can't seem to be able to install, is
3.0.0.4.386_45898 (AX) and 3.0.0.4.386_3_2 (ac68u)

On the other note: a hard reset is based on the asus support page with holding the reset button 30 seconds, powering off and holding the reset button 30 seconds, powering back up and holding it another 30 seconds

I don't know where you got this one from.

This is the correct procedure for your RT-AC68U:

And for your ZenWiFi:

the new firmware which I can't seem to be able to install, is
3.0.0.4.386_45898 (AX) and 3.0.0.4.386_3_2 (ac68u)

You don't need Asuswrt-Merlin on the nodes. Use stock Asuswrt instead.

ok i read the official asus links. So it's not the reset button but the wps button. I'm sure that is what I tried before but will do so again tomorrow. Regarding the firmware: the install will not work on the router either. Regarding the last note on the ac68u: how would I install it if I cannot connect to the ac68u and to the internet at the same time?

So it's not the reset button but the wps button.

You were talking about hard reset. This is the normal reset with Reset button:

Regarding the last note on the ac68u: how would I install it if I cannot connect to the ac68u and to the internet at the same time?

Sorry, I don't understand your question. Have you read AiMesh setup guides, wired and wireless?

Yes. I have a working mesh don't forget. I started out with the 2 zenwifi and then added one ac68u. They all work fine, BUT:
- I can't complete any firmware updates
- I can't get the system to even see the other 2 ac68u
Your last post indicated something I needed to do with the ac68u but I don't know what or how.

I would do this:

- change the AC68U firmware to stock Asuswrt
- reset AC68U to factory defaults
- try adding it as node wirelessly
- If the attempt fails, reset it to factory defaults again and try adding it wired to the main router

It's a strange hardware choice - later AX main router with old hardware AC nodes. It may not work the way you expect and AC68U don't have SmartConnect support. AiMesh replicates main router settings to the nodes, but in your case the nodes don't support what the main router is capable of. I would go with AX55 or something similar AX class at least. Or another ZenWiFi set, if you're happy with it.

Why do you need 5 routers? More Wi-Fi is not necessarily better.

Ok, last update before I call it a night:
1. why 5 routers: I don't need 5 routers per se, but I do want 5 Mesh access points to maximize the bandwidth across my 3-story brick and concrete house. In my living room (where I have the Zenwifi XT8 (AX6600) ROUTER), I get 600 Mbps. If I only use the second XT8 on the top floor (home office), that drops down to less than 200. Adding Mesh points should reduce the drop in speed.
2. I just did the full reset on the ac68U (power off, connect the WAN to the Zenwifi, connect a LAN port to my PC, hold thw WPS button, power up, wait for the led to start flashing, let go and wait for the boot up to complete). Nothing has changed. I can browse to the ac68U and set it to Mesh node and then nothing. It will not find it. Either I am too stupid for this stuff (which is possible), or it just doesn't work. But then, why does it work fine with the other ac68u already in the mesh?
3. When I browse to my Zenwifi (either from a PC in a browser or from the app on my ipad or iphone), it keeps telling me firmware upgrades are available (and clearly important as the setup keeps telling me to make sure the latest firmware is installed). But when I try to do the upgrade, it always fails. On my Ipad, it goes through a 7 minute procedure and then tells me it failed, try again. On the PC it just says 'downloading firmware' with no progress or next steps, even after a few hours.
So I am stuck in this cycle where I can't upgrade and I can't add nodes without upgrading (presumably).

Why doesn't Asus just make the forware downloadable to a USB stick and we can just flash each router/node manually? Too old school?

Why doesn't Asus just make the forware downloadable to a USB stick and we can just flash each router/node manually?

You can always update the main router manually. Just download the latest firmware file from Asus Support web and flash in GUI. Failed download on multiple devices tells me you have some Internet connectivity issues. You may have to address those issues first.

The router / base station of the Zenwifi is connected to the modem by ethernet. The connection is 100% rock solid. The devices I am trying to use to drive the firmware update are within line of sight of the zenwifi and Ookla indicates around 500 mb/s internet speed. Even if I manage to download the firmware update from asus, I don;t see how to get it onto the zenwifi once I have it downloaded to the laptop.
I only see a link on the GUI of the zenwifi to update firmware but there is no option to pull it from my laptop. Instead it goes straight to 'downloading firmware' and then nothing happens. That is what I meant by wanting to update the firmware manually.

Attachments

• 9.png
    9.png
    79.1 KB · Views: 95
What happens when updating your main router in Administration -> Firmware Update?
You can update the AC68U nodes the same way before you add them, to latest stock Asuswrt.

nothing happens. In the GUI it shows there is an update available. Click on the link. Next screen shows button to update. Click on it. 'Firmware Downloading ...' and then nothing. For shirts and giggles, I left the screen for 24 hours and no movement at all...

I was able to fix it. Here is what I did;
1. powered down all nodes and only left the Zenwifi XT8 router powered up
2. tried updating the firmware (after 20 failed attempts prior) and this time it was successful
3. powered up the second zenwifi XT8 after hard reset right next to the router
4. was able to add the second XT8 as a mesh node and update that firmware
5. one by one I put the RT-AC68U next to the XT8, did a hard reset and was able to add them to the mesh
6. placed all the devices around the house and powered them back up.
everything works.
Thanks to all who pitched in.