What's new

AiMesh with AC88U and 2x AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

unclekoen

New Around Here
In my home i am having a AC88U router with latest Merlin firmware (@work, will look up tonight) which is placed at the fusebox on the base floor in the center off the house. In my garage and second floor i use an AC86U as Node also with the latest Merlin firmware. Both nodes using a wired backhaul.

My wireless network is not that stable. It looks like it is swapping networks (but that should not be possible as an AiMesh network). However, even when the signal icon on my phone is at best, downloads and/or apps are hanging sometimes.

Is it possible routers are to close to each other?
Is there something i can test to confirm problems and can have a better search on the internet?

Place your nodes at at least -60/65dBm, try Roaming Assistant at -70dBm. Unfortunately, there is no nodes power adjustment in AiMesh. If you don't need Guest Network across nodes, use Router + Access Points configuration. It's more stable and allows more control. You can adjust power in AP mode as well as wireless channel, plus different SSIDs if you like. Roaming capabilities are the same.

Place your nodes at at least -60/65dBm, try Roaming Assistant at -70dBm. Unfortunately, there is no nodes power adjustment in AiMesh. If you don't need Guest Network across nodes, use Router + Access Points configuration. It's more stable and allows more control. You can adjust power in AP mode as well as wireless channel, plus different SSIDs if you like. Roaming capabilities are the same.
That is a good one. I could try putting every router off and see what signals i get from the furthest.

I am not using Guest Wifi. But i prefer one SSID and no swapping between routers.

You can keep one SSID, but Router + APs configuration allows use of different Wi-Fi channels. AiMesh doesn't have this option. You perhaps realize AiMesh is more marketing than mesh. It's centrally managed repeaters/access points with some pros and cons. It's in beta stage and with mixed routers the results are not guaranteed. I did test AiMesh with 3x identical routers and it was working fine, but started to fail when other models were used as nodes. You have to test and find your own best configuration. Wires between routers are big advantage.

In my home i am having a AC88U router with latest Merlin firmware (@work, will look up tonight) which is placed at the fusebox on the base floor in the center off the house. In my garage and second floor i use an AC86U as Node also with the latest Merlin firmware. Both nodes using a wired backhaul.

My wireless network is not that stable. It looks like it is swapping networks (but that should not be possible as an AiMesh network). However, even when the signal icon on my phone is at best, downloads and/or apps are hanging sometimes.

Is it possible routers are to close to each other?
Is there something i can test to confirm problems and can have a better search on the internet?
AC86U is better than AC88U. AC88U is trash. Use AC86U as a main.

AC86U is better than AC88U.

Not very clear what the router(s) model is. The thread name says 2x AC68U, the first post 1x AC86U. :rolleyes:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!