What's new

AiMesh with USB Printer on Node?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ntb-2k5

Occasional Visitor
I've setup Aimesh since it very 1st release and it's now onto version 2.0 and I'm still can figuring out how to Enable USB Printing on a AiMesh Node.
I've used a DD-WRT router as an AP to be able to network my USB printer.
Has anyone know how to configure the USB Printer on a AiMesh Node?

PS: My main router is in the Basement, therefore it's not ideal to have my USB Printer connected there, I like to have my USB printer connect to a AiMesh Node, which i can replace my AP one in my office (2nd floor).

Thanks

In AiMesh2 I can't find "Network Printer Server" under "USB Application" on node.
Consequently I would assume it's not possible.

Haven't done this myself but the post below indicates it might work if you follow the normal process but use the IP address of the node.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/print-server-on-aimesh-node.44790/

I think as @drabisan mentioned, the AiMesh v2.0 don't have the "Network Printer Server" under "USB Application" on node and therefore it's Not possible to enable Printing on the node (just yet).

I don't know for AiMesh 1.0 as I can't now tested it anymore without redo all my network setup!
My main router is already on AiMesh 2.0 and it won't connect to the node with AiMesh 1.0, testing about 20 time yesterday, it's always ending saying it "cannot attached it, since someone else was trying to add it" too ... but it's only itself doing it thing :)

Just wondering if someone else still on AiMesh 1.0 to see if there's any option under USB for Network Printer?

As of now, I'm back on AP setting for my AiMesh node :(

Last edited:
Any news on added "Network Printer Server" under "USB Application" for AiMesh 2.x ? why it's so hard to add this feature?

Thanks

You may find that using ssh, it is possible? If you know how to script/configure it manually.

I don't think this is particularly hard to implement (could be wrong), but the resources are needed elsewhere (still).

Will we see AiMesh 2.1 in the near future? Maybe it will add the USB printing by then :)

USB printing was a thing in 1995. Today, it isn't. :)

Almost any $50 printer can do it wirelessly.

Na! bought my laser multifunction Samsung USB printer in 2011 not in 1995 lol ... seriously don't know why they are not able to get this function over to the AiMesh node.

Okay, in 2011, you say? That changes everything! But the technology is from almost 20 years earlier. :)

Can't tell if you're being condescending or just stupid. USB 1.0 Spec was finalized and released in 1996 and was barely even supported by Windows 95 (and certainly not by Linux or MacOS). No USB printer even existed back then. So it could never have "been a thing in 1995". First USB Print support wasn't even added to Windows until Windows 98 Second Edition in May 1999, with MacOS shortly after. Wireless printers weren't even standard or common until mid 2012~2013.

Last edited:
Without doing the research to confirm, I'm thinking such would've been possible on GNU/Linux first, except for the very real possibility of failing due to "Win-" printers, et al, where dedicated hardware functionality was often being replaced by drivers most only made for "Windows" (can you believe MS, late to the game, tried to trademark that word?).

Welcome to the forums @g8crapachino.

Your attitude is most unwelcome here.

I'm being neither. Your 'facts' are sketchy as my memory may be. But even if I was out by a year, so be it.

Needing USB printing today, particularly attached to a router, is an exercise in frustration. Particularly when the cost of a wireless printer can be had for less than the cost of McDonald's for a very small family.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.