What's new

Airprint / Bonjour issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maximusto

New Around Here
I am having an issue using airprint to connect to the printer (HL-L8350CDW) on my network.
Actually it is a much bigger issue than that, my wife cannot print to the printer from her iphone (like she was able to usually before I purchased a "better" expensive $500 router).

RT-AX88U FW 384.18 on local network.
Printer is connected via wifi to the network and has a fixed ip address. Printer can be connected to via http panel. Prints from my window pc fine connected (http://192.168.1.7:80/WebServices/Device) using the latest windows driver (6.3.9600.16384).

I have tried everything in sequence and individually as indicated in a number of posts that seemed to share similar issues.
* https://www.seriouslytrivial.com/20...d-airprint-wireless-printer-problem-solution/

ie.
-Airtime Fairness: Disable ===> Prime suspect alas no joy
-Modulation Scheme: Up to MCS 9 (802.11ac)
-Multi-User MIMO: Disable
-Explicit Beamforming: Disable
-Universal Beamforming (5 GHz only): Disable
As per Matt S comment who was also using a RT-AX88U --> disable "Target Wake time"

Similar connectivity issue (different application) - with check list to above
This reddit post pointed me to a discovery app of bonjour services running on the network

Using this discovery app I can see an alexa, apple, and google device on my network but not printer service (each of these are also connected via wifi to fixed ips).

Does anyone have any further suggestions?

Thank you.

I am suffering the same issue. And my wife is mocking me daily that I bought a fancy ax88u router while network becomes worse than before. :(

Now it is about honor to fix the issue.

her mac/iphone often cannot print while my pc is perfectly fine. So should be airprint issue.

reboot router could always fix the problem. reboot print could not fix the issue in my case.

my Printer is Fuji Xerox M225dw. printer is on 2.4G band with fixed IP.

I have confirme that my airtime fairness is disable in stock setting.
I just put 2.4G in a fixed control channel and disable "Target wake time"

I am still monitoring the issue.

So when you reboot the router, AirPrint works for a while but then stops working?

Does the printer go into a power saving mode that triggers the problem?

J
Yes, airprint was working last night but this afternoon, it disappeared from mac/iphone's eyes.

This printer has been served about 3 years in my home with my previous netgear. It has been always online to full fill the print/scan duty.

I will try to put the printer on LAN port once my previous settings failed again. Then I will take a look at the printer power settings.

It sounds like a Bonjour/multicast problem.

Is 'Enable IGMP Snooping' under Wireless Professional set to 'Enable'?

I am having an issue using airprint to connect to the printer (HL-L8350CDW) on my network.
Actually it is a much bigger issue than that, my wife cannot print to the printer from her iphone (like she was able to usually before I purchased a "better" expensive $500 router).

RT-AX88U FW 384.18 on local network.
Printer is connected via wifi to the network and has a fixed ip address. Printer can be connected to via http panel. Prints from my window pc fine connected (http://192.168.1.7:80/WebServices/Device) using the latest windows driver (6.3.9600.16384).

I have tried everything in sequence and individually as indicated in a number of posts that seemed to share similar issues.
* https://www.seriouslytrivial.com/20...d-airprint-wireless-printer-problem-solution/

ie.
-Airtime Fairness: Disable ===> Prime suspect alas no joy
-Modulation Scheme: Up to MCS 9 (802.11ac)
-Multi-User MIMO: Disable
-Explicit Beamforming: Disable
-Universal Beamforming (5 GHz only): Disable
As per Matt S comment who was also using a RT-AX88U --> disable "Target Wake time"

Similar connectivity issue (different application) - with check list to above
This reddit post pointed me to a discovery app of bonjour services running on the network

Using this discovery app I can see an alexa, apple, and google device on my network but not printer service (each of these are also connected via wifi to fixed ips).

Does anyone have any further suggestions?

Thank you.
Is your printer firmware up to date?

It sounds like a Bonjour/multicast problem.

Is 'Enable IGMP Snooping' under Wireless Professional set to 'Enable'?
nice one. in professional tab of wireless, IGMP is enabled by default. and I also set below IGMP snooping under IPTV tab. And Printer is online on mac/iphone for one-day which is a record.
I guess the issue might be resolved and I will keep monitoring.
Thank you very much :)
i
Snap9.png

One thing to look at is to ensure that the local LAN domain is not <dot>local - this will cause a lot of mDNS issues with Bonjour/Avahi implementations.

<dot>lan is the preferred approach here...

One thing to look at is to ensure that the local LAN domain is not <dot>local - this will cause a lot of mDNS issues with Bonjour/Avahi implementations.

This is interesting - my network is all xx.local and I do not have any issues with airprint from masOS or iOS devices. I see my printer name in mDSN is printer.local but its working fine.

How do you even change network domain from .local to .lan?

Mine is actually <home_street>.local since i have a small home lab. so i prefer to use name.
let me change this tonight to see how it goes.

ok. airprint is stable for almost one week. and i believe the problem is resolved. and since i changed lots of settings so it is unclear what's the final solution to me.
i guess it should be
disable "Target wake time" + IGMP

You disabled IMGP snooping?
My domain name is blank. Would adding a name in there help with the ‘no response’ issue I get from some of my HomeKit devices? I’ve been changing a few settings and can’t seem to smoothen and the flow of MDNS traffic.

[M]y wife is mocking me daily that I bought a fancy ax88u router while network becomes worse than before. :(

Not to get too deep in the weeds or off topic, but... that's not cool, at all. Tell her this random stranger on the internet said to be nice.