What's new

[ALPHA] 386.9_alpha1 for WiFi 5 (802.11ac) Models (GT-AC2900, RT-AC68U, and RT-AC86U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm getting:

Code:
kill: you need to specify whom to kill

I'm not doing something right, I guess. I have a list of names and addresses here... if this is what the router is asking for... :)
I don’t see that process too.

I'm getting:

Code:
kill: you need to specify whom to kill

I'm not doing something right, I guess. I have a list of names and addresses here... if this is what the router is asking for... :)
Then it’s not the solution to the problem you have. Keep searching…

RT-AC86U here
I noticed my QoS type keeps switching back to Adaptive by itself after I set it to Cake. (This is not happen in previous stable version)

RT-AC86U here
I noticed my QoS type keeps switching back to Adaptive by itself after I set it to Cake. (This is not happen in previous stable version)
Are you trying to use any Gaming features like Gear Accelerator?

Then it’s not the solution to the problem you have. Keep searching…

Does asusdiscovery handle the client list or some aspect of it?

It was running on my router, and I was able to kill it using the command you provided. However, it has not come back since killing it. It did not come back after logging into the GUI and pulling up the client list. It also did not come back by typing asusdiscovery on the command line. I've verified that clients come and go from the list if I enable/disable wifi on those clients.

I guess this means that asusdiscovery does not handle creation and maintenance of the client list?

Does asusdiscovery handle the client list or some aspect of it?
Networkmap calls asusdiscovery when necessary. It shouldn’t be running all the time. If it gets stuck, it might prevent networkmap from scanning next time.

I don’t know if my information is 100% accurate. There’s a lot of educated guessing necessary when dealing with the closed source stuff.

Networkmap calls asusdiscovery when necessary. It shouldn’t be running all the time. If it gets stuck, it might prevent networkmap from scanning next time.

I don’t know if my information is 100% accurate. There’s a lot of educated guessing necessary when dealing with the closed source stuff.

ok. Perhaps if asusdiscovery gets stuck, it remains running? I'll keep an eye on it and see if my weekly kill script allows the client list to remain accurate.

The stuck wired clients finally disappear from Client List after full 24h - the IP lease renewal time. It's working... :)

Question: Why haven't users moved to the 386.9 Beta?

I haven't experienced any anomalies, nor read of any issues.

@RMerlin can you tell if the wifi radio drivers are updated in 386_50757?
I don't know. Even a recompile by Asus when they build the GPL will generate a different binary blob, I have no way of knowing if there was any code or calibration table changes.

And this is also unique to each model. I highly doubt there was any change to the old RT-AC68U driver. They might however have been for the newer RT-AC86U.

Unless there is secret sauce in the compilation process - the underlying driver versions appear to be exactly the same for the RT-AC86U.
Here's a pic of the 386.7_2 WiFi drivers ...
386-7-2.png

As compared to the drivers within 386.9_beta1
386-9-beta1.png

Unless there is secret sauce in the compilation process - the underlying driver versions appear to be exactly the same for the RT-AC86U.
The version won't change if Asus just applies patches or make changes to the calibration tables.

ok. Perhaps if asusdiscovery gets stuck, it remains running? I'll keep an eye on it and see if my weekly kill script allows the client list to remain accurate.

ok, the approach I took was to create a cronjob to kill asusdiscovery once a week, and this seems to be working because my client list is still accurate and editable after a 29 days of uptime on two of my networks. Normally, I think the client list would be froze within a month. However, I think another 2 weeks of evaluation are need to be 100% this works.