What's new

amtm amtm 4.5.2 - the Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu, May 02, 2024

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

one of the first things I asked up here - was if there was a way to clean shutdown an asus/merlin router - and @RMerlin pointed me to the cmd-line 'halt' command (asus undocumented)... my old unix habits die hard...

without that command I would not have been able to find the error in the 'dc' filesystem script run at each startup (if enabled ) which was throwing a filesystem 'dirty' each reboot on ext4-fs mounts... @ColinTaylor was kind enough to run this error to ground with @RMerlin's help - and fix it...

just pulling the power-plug/switching-off anything with an active filesystem is simply a bad-admin practice... DON'T do it...

'halt' is your friend... use it...

Last edited:
This morning amtm update stops at entware check and halts - need to control c to exit -anyone having this issue today on an AC86U running latest firmware before the new upgrade this morning with OVPN. Interesting this is happening on my 2nd installation on an ax86u as well this morning. The only thing in common that i did before this error happened is an update to skynet blocked country list in both locations. Added a whole heap of countries to that list. Surely that could not have contributed to this. Certainly the only change since yesterday when amtm update check was working on both sites. I will roll back the changes on 1 site to see if that is the problem . Certainly dosent sound related though.

Last edited:
This morning amtm update stops at entware check and halts - need to control c to exit -anyone having this issue today on an AC86U running latest firmware before the new upgrade this morning with OVPN.

I just ran mine for you without any problems.

This morning amtm update stops at entware check and halts - need to control c to exit -anyone having this issue today on an AC86U running latest firmware before the new upgrade this morning with OVPN. Interesting this is happening on my 2nd installation on an ax86u as well this morning. The only thing in common that i did before this error happened is an update to skynet blocked country list in both locations. Added a whole heap of countries to that list. Surely that could not have contributed to this. Certainly the only change since yesterday when amtm update check was working on both sites. I will roll back the changes on 1 site to see if that is the problem . Certainly dosent sound related though.

Well That was the problem - as soon as i removed the country list in skynet - amtm update check worked fine. How in the hell is that related Lonelycoder ?

The only thing in common that i did before this error happened is an update to skynet blocked country list in both locations. Added a whole heap of countries to that list. Surely that could not have contributed to this. Certainly the only change since yesterday when amtm update check was working on both sites.
I have to load Skynet last after Unbound. Adding Country Blocks has been a more recent problem and appears to conflict with Unbound. I stopped adding Country Blocks.

I've had the halt error previously. Sometimes I thought it was a server check hang-up.

See if removing the Country Block List stops the error.

I have to load Skynet last after Unbound. Adding Country Blocks has been a more recent problem and appears to conflict with Unbound. I stopped adding Country Blocks.

I've had the halt error previously. Sometimes I thought it was a server check hang-up.

See if removing the Country Block List stops the error.

Yes as my post reads above the country block made amtm update fail just before entware checking. However it got past skynet which leads me baffled. How is it technically possible for this to happen to amtm update check i have no idea. Only lonelycoder can answer that and i fathom even he dosent know.!!!

Yes as my post reads above the country block made amtm update fail just before entware checking. However it got past skynet which leads me baffled. How is it technically possible for this to happen to amtm update check i have no idea. Only lonelycoder can answer that and i fathom even he dosent know.!!!

In the past I've run short lists (10 or less) and I've run 50-60 Countries. Something changed this year (last 6mo) and I'm not sure why. I've kept my eye open for someone else to notice. Not sure who's end is causing the conflict. It could be Entware.

In the past I've run short lists (10 or less) and I've run 50-60 Countries. Something changed this year (last 6mo) and I'm not sure why. I've kept my eye open for someone else to notice. Not sure who's end is causing the conflict. It could be Entware.
You could be right - it points to Entware as there have been updates of that recently - and the fact that amtm update stops at Entware checking. But the interrelationship with Skynet country blocking is still flabbergasting!!

How in the hell is that related Lonelycoder ?
First... your attitude needs to be in check. That's no way to speak with anyone.

Second... you're probably blocking Russia, or another untold number of Eastern-Bloc countries where Entware is typically hosted from... If you would have noticed, @thelonelycoder had already anticipated this, and lets you choose from a good number of other sources to download Entware from, directly within the AMTM interface.

Surely that could not have contributed to this.
Surely it did.

First... your attitude needs to be in check. That's no way to speak with anyone.

Second... you're probably blocking Russia, or another untold number of Eastern-Bloc countries where Entware is typically hosted from... If you would have noticed, @thelonelycoder had already anticipated this, and lets you choose from a good number of other sources to download Entware from, directly within the AMTM interface.

Surely it did.
fair call - I doubt lonelycoder would have taken offence - but you are probably correct with the observation around Entware.

fair call - I doubt lonelycoder would have taken offence
Personally speaking... anytime anyone attacks the operation of your script/app... you take offence.

Personally speaking... anytime anyone attacks the operation of your script/app... you take offence.
How do you conclude that I was attacking his script? All I was asking him to do was to clarify how adding country blocks to skynet could affect amtm updating. I did suggest that even he may not know - that was probably premature to say the least - he obviously does know. But i wasnt attacking his script at all - we even suggested that Entware may be the issue and you clarifed as much - even though a previous iteration of Entware worked just fine with the script and with 50-60 countries in the block list. However i cant be sure whether Russia or other Eastern bloc countries were in that list as you alude to- John would know that. If any offence was taken then I apologise to Lonelycoder however Im sure hes big enough to answer for himself rather than through proxys like you

rather than through proxys like you
Happy to be a proxy, just so you know... since I'm in this "field" myself, personally and professionally. Its always better to first determine the variables before playing the blame game.

we even suggested that Entware may be the issue and you clarifed as much - even though a previous iteration of Entware worked just fine with the script and with 50-60 countries in the block list.
Entware isn't really the issue... it's working and downloads fine. It's your excessive blocking that's probably the issue. Who is to blame here?

Only lonelycoder can answer that and i fathom even he dosent know.!!!
Oh I'm sure he knows.

Last edited:
Happy to be a proxy, just so you know... since I'm in this "field" myself, personally and professionally. Its always better to first determine the variables before playing the blame game.

Entware isn't really the issue... it's working and downloads fine. It's your excessive blocking that's probably the issue. Who is to blame here?
I am to blame - me and only me - now can I please have the last word - please?!!!

I am to blame - me and only me - now can I please have the last word - please?!!!
I will work out which countries servers host entware and will post if anyone is interested

Apology accepted...
I will work out which countries servers host entware and will post if anyone is interested
We would love to know what you find out! Definitely post your results. This is a technically-minded community that would love to know!

1700701604150.png

ae af al am ao ar at aw az ba be bd bf bg bh bn bo br bw by cd cf cg cn co cu cy cz dj dk dm dz ec ee eg et fi gd ge gf gh gl gs hk hn hr hu id il in iq ir jo kg kp kr kw kz lb lr lt lv ly mc mm mo mx my ne ng ni nl np nz om pa pe ph pk pl ps pt pw py qa ro rs ru rw sa sc sg si sk sl sn so ss td th tj tm tr tz ua ug uz vn ye za zw

Short List:
cn kp my ru vn

af az bg cn iq ir kp my ru ua vn

Do any of the above cause the problem?

I just changed EP server from 1 to 2 and ran update without a stall.

Have not entered countries.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!