What's new

amtm Why does amtm install Entware armv7sf-k2.6n builds that are running the 4.1.52 kernel

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

John Tetreault

Occasional Visitor
Is this just a case of least commong denominator, or is there a bug in the entware_setup.mod script?

I see the setup script has this section:
Bash:
armv7l)         PART_TYPES='ext2|ext3|ext4'
                                        if [ "$(v_c $(uname -r))" -ge "$(v_c 3.2)" ]; then
                                                INST_URL='armv7sf-k3.2/installer/generic.sh'
                                                entVer="Entware (armv7sf-k3.2)"
                                                availEntVer=armv7
                                        else
                                                INST_URL='armv7sf-k2.6/installer/generic.sh'
                                                entVer="Entware (armv7sf-k2.6)"
                                                availEntVer=armv7
                                        fi

But even with uname -r giving a result of 4.1.52 it still install the k2.6 version instead of the k3.2 version on my RT-AX58U running 3004.388.6
It almost looks as if v_c is supposed to be a function thats supposed to parse the version number, but there is no v_c function elsewhere in the code, so it just fails to the else statement.... or am I not understanding this correctly?

Is this just a case of least commong denominator, or is there a bug in the entware_setup.mod script?

I see the setup script has this section:
Bash:
armv7l)         PART_TYPES='ext2|ext3|ext4'
                                        if [ "$(v_c $(uname -r))" -ge "$(v_c 3.2)" ]; then
                                                INST_URL='armv7sf-k3.2/installer/generic.sh'
                                                entVer="Entware (armv7sf-k3.2)"
                                                availEntVer=armv7
                                        else
                                                INST_URL='armv7sf-k2.6/installer/generic.sh'
                                                entVer="Entware (armv7sf-k2.6)"
                                                availEntVer=armv7
                                        fi

But even with uname -r giving a result of 4.1.52 it still install the k2.6 version instead of the k3.2 version on my RT-AX58U running 3004.388.6
It almost looks as if v_c is supposed to be a function thats supposed to parse the version number, but there is no v_c function elsewhere in the code, so it just fails to the else statement.... or am I not understanding this correctly?
Stand by...

What's the output of uname -m

Correct, the function is defined in amtm.mod, the second to the main file. v_c clearly is defined or else it would throw errors all over the place.

If yours is an aarch64 router you were given the choice to install either aarch64-k3.10 or armv7sf-k3.2
Edit:
In that case the option is given to either install 64-bit (aarch64-k3.10) or 32-bit (armv7sf-k3.2) Entware.

Isn't your router aarch64 rather than armv7l?
Code:
# uname -a
Linux RT-AX86U 4.1.52 #2 SMP PREEMPT Sat Dec 2 13:47:36 EST 2023 aarch64 ASUSWRT-Merlin
nope... definitely armv7l
admin@RT-AX58U-6D98:/tmp# uname -a
Linux RT-AX58U-6D98 4.1.52 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 20 12:44:34 EST 2024 armv7l ASUSWRT-Merlin

There is no bug, on my RT-AX56U on firmware 3004.388.6, Entware armv7sf-k3.2 is automatically installed.
Did you have a previous install of Entware on that USB device and selected to reuse it?

There is no bug, on my RT-AX56U on firmware 3004.388.6, Entware armv7sf-k3.2 is automatically installed.
Did you have a previous install of Entware on that USB device and selected to reuse it?
To confirm, I have two (2) remote networks that I manage that have RT-AX58U routers with Merlin 386.6 firmware. Both have Entware armv7sf-k3.2 installed — Entware was originally installed "year(s) ago" using a previous version of Diversion or amtm and previous version of Merlin firmware.

To confirm, I have two (2) remote networks that I manage that have RT-AX58U routers with Merlin 386.6 firmware. Both have Entware armv7sf-k3.2 installed — Entware was originally installed "year(s) ago" using a previous version of Diversion or amtm and previous version of Merlin firmware.
Thanks for confirming.

Hm.... I hadn't thought of that... I suppose that's a possibility.... so question... is there a way to force Entware to the newer kernel version without losing everything i've got installed? (i.e. is remove entware and re-install the only way?)

Hm.... I hadn't thought of that... I suppose that's a possibility.... so question... is there a way to force Entware to the newer kernel version without losing everything i've got installed? (i.e. is remove entware and re-install the only way?)
I don’t think the opkg manager offers that, glancing over their wiki offers no clue https://github.com/Entware/Entware/wiki

Seems comparable to a 32bit to 64Bit Windows upgrade: Better start from scratch - If there ever was an option in the first place. Config files may be different, dependencies and so on. Be smart and spend the time.

I don’t think the opkg manager offers that, glancing over their wiki offers no clue https://github.com/Entware/Entware/wiki

Seems comparable to a 32bit to 64Bit Windows upgrade: Better start from scratch - If there ever was an option in the first place. Config files may be different, dependencies and so on. Be smart and spend the time.
Yeah, makes sense.... Well thanks for looking into it.... I'll remove and re-install one of these days when I feel like torturing myself.... in the meantime, if it ain't broke... screw with it until it is... LOL

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!