What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've been using Putty, does Xshell have any benefits over Putty
It has a todays interface and can keep passwords. IMHO it is the best SSH client one can have on Windows. I tried many but Xshell meets all my requirements.

With a $99 price per year? Doesn't seem like a good deal for casual use.

With a $99 price per year? Doesn't seem like a good deal for casual use.
Look again at the price options, you may find an unbeatable option.

I also recommend these two in addition to the above for more "hard core" development:

a) Mobaxterm -> Home Free, Paid $69USD -> https://mobaxterm.mobatek.net/download.html
b) Scooter Software's BeyondCompare -> $30-$60 USD depending on the edition -> http://scootersoftware.com/

Both are paid, for all the features. Support has been good. Been using both for years. There's a free version of almost everything "really good" out there and I like WinSCP a lot too!

MobaXterm is really good for multiple windows of whatever you need.. but does not do SCP.

BC takes some getting use to but I can select two things and run a binary compare on the entire setup in seconds. For instance, I know that pixelserv uses some non-windows friendly characters in the filenames in it's cache... I use to use it to push syncs to code platforms at work and verify every file is in every directory as needed... ;) YMMV.

Sometimes I miss geocities
The site I wanted to mention, thought for a secomd and could only think of Yahoo! which I know was not the one. Geocities, what memories.

Thanks, everyone. I could only look that up on my phone when I posted above, I hate browsing on the phone, you miss just too much information!

I will have to give the free version of Xshell a try in the next few days.

^^^ Yeah really retro :) The book though, might be worth a quick read. Of course I've been around since before PC's were invented. :eek: It works for me - YMMV. ;)

Last edited:
^^^ Yeah really retro :) The book though, might be worth a quick read. Of course I've been around since before PC's were invented. :eek: It works for me - YMMV. ;)
We still had a B/W TV when I was young, no remote and 5 channels to choose from, two of them in french/italian, the other national languages. And a black wall mounted rotary dial telephone with a hook you hung the handset on to hang up. Then there was a mono turntable in the living room and a mono radio in the kitchen. I was proud at 14 to buy an at the time illegal second telephone (the telecom was a national monopoly then, only approved phones allowed) for my bedroom and hook it up to the outdated rotary to call friends at night. I had to silence the bells on the rotary first to do it silently, or else you'd hear when a number was dialled.

It's free for personal use.

And 99$ is if you want to get yearly updates. You can buy it once and never upgrade it again if you just want to use it for business use, or you want to bypass the simultaneous session limit that they added in XShell 6 (don`t remember what that limit is, I actually pay for it considering I use it on a daily basis, both for personal and professional use).

FWIW you can also SSH from the Windows Command Prompt. Figured this out last week. But I've been using XShell for a few years now.

I just started using Xshell. This is a a warning message I never saw with PuTTY. Is this warning message something I need to be concerned with?

Thanks,
Anton
Screenshot 2020-09-06 202707.jpg

I've seen it every single login. Hasn't apparently affected anything. Dunno.

I just started using Xshell. This is a a warning message I never saw with PuTTY. Is this warning message something I need to be concerned with?

Thanks,
Anton
View attachment 26032
So, I don't know what it does. But, playing around. Open XShell. Rt click on your session name and select Properties. Now, Uncheck the box that says "Forward X11 Connection to". Now try connecting to the router.
The warning should now be gone. (Note: I'm not sure what this actually does and if it is bad).

Thanks for this guide!
Yesterday I prepared a brand new 64GB USB3 stick for my AX86U using the instructions in post1. Only using the swap file for the moment since I'm on Merlin beta2 and thought I'd keep it a bit clean until the release version.

A couple of questions so far:
- Why should we use USB 2.0 mode? It seems to be working well in USB 3 mode
- Is there a way configure larger swaps than 2GB and would that be beneficial?
- Booting up the router now only uses about 52% of (1024) MB RAM but a couple of hours later it's back to 98% again. Why is that?
- Is there any way to know what files or processes are using the swap file?

Other factors to maybe consider:
I have a shared 4TB disk in the other USB port if that maybe has something to do with it
I run an always-on site to site OpenVPN tunnel
I have at least 20 connected clients at any given time

Thanks,
Anders

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!