What's new

amtm amtm - the Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am currently running Diversion and pixelserv-tls without a swap file. From my reading on SNB it seems that using a swap file is recommended. Can I just add the swap file via amtm and will it automatically be recognized by the software that will take advantage of it? Perhaps after a reboot?

I am currently running Diversion and pixelserv-tls without a swap file. From my reading on SNB it seems that using a swap file is recommended. Can I just add the swap file via amtm and will it automatically be recognized by the software that will take advantage of it? Perhaps after a reboot?

Yep.

Yes, and no reboot is needed.

i know that diversion and skynet coordinate their lists, are not codependent,
and block ads using different methods thus they are not redundant.

but pixelserv is supposed to be included during diversion's install
Use a blocklist: Diversion. Note: This Ad-blocker includes the installation of pixelserv-tls

so is the pixelserv here in amtm's menu for stand alone use only?
but is in actuality already installed because i have the latest diversion running?
or is amtm clearly indicating i somehow did NOT install pixelserv with diversion.

if i still need to install pixelserv with diversion, then how exactly has
diversion NOT been functional, since it seems to be working just fine.
for a while i was running diversion alone, and it clearly blocked ads.
Diversion installs the latest release version of pixelserv-tls available through the Entware package manager.
amtm gives you the option to install the latest pixelserv-tls "beta" version available from the developers GitHub repository. The GitHub version may be the release version but not yet available through Entware because their maintainers have not had the time to include it.

After installing pixelserv-tls "beta" with amtm, it'll show the installed beta version but not before as it clearly says 'install beta'.
I don't know what's confusing with that wording, especially so when a longer explanation is shown when entering 4.

but not yet available through Entware because their maintainers have not had the time to include it.
If I understand it correctly there will still be a utility to the amtm function even if the Entware maintainers include 2.2.1 in the packages. For reasons I don't know enough to understand, the memory optimization flag has been rejected, and for reasons I think I see, the ability to dynamically link to the SSL 1.1.1 packages is going to be a lot of work.

So I see this as a five area theme park: the AsusWRT Merlin entrance, the entware expansion, the very integrated and tightly controlled Diversion, the controlled and orderly, partially vetted, access to other packages through amtm, and the wild west of other things, like syslog-ng and at the moment FreshJR.

If I understand it correctly there will still be a utility to the amtm function even if the Entware maintainers include 2.2.1 in the packages. For reasons I don't know enough to understand, the memory optimization flag has been rejected, and for reasons I think I see, the ability to dynamically link to the SSL 1.1.1 packages is going to be a lot of work.
The amtm pixelserv-tls beta installer has more options because @kvic wants (rightly) to push ahead and use functionality in libraries available that have not (yet) made it into mainstream. It looks unlikely that it will be implemented into Asus' firmware or as Entware package in the near future for the large changes it would trigger for other parts.

Hence the option for statically or dynamically linked versions. kvic simply packs the necessary libraries directly into the pixelserv-tls binary to be independent of whats availalable throug the routers firmware or Entware.

Don't forget, the handy script to allow these options for beta versions is provided by kvic, not me.

So I see this as a five area theme park: the AsusWRT Merlin entrance, the entware expansion, the very integrated and tightly controlled Diversion, the controlled and orderly, partially vetted, access to other packages through amtm, and the wild west of other things, like syslog-ng and at the moment FreshJR.
Well said. There's also the sixth area: The users workbench. A variety of routers, devices connected and attached to the router and his/her own ventures into the scripts and coding world.
Overall a very entertaining theme park to visit, full of wonders and surprises and the opportunity to learn and gain a lot.

The amtm pixelserv-tls beta installer has more options because @kvic wants (rightly) to push ahead and use functionality in libraries available that have not (yet) made it into mainstream. It looks unlikely that it will be implemented into Asus' firmware or as Entware package in the near future for the large changes it would trigger for other parts.

Hence the option for statically or dynamically linked versions. kvic simply packs the necessary libraries directly into the pixelserv-tls binary to be independent of whats availalable throug the routers firmware or Entware.

Don't forget, the handy script to allow these options for beta versions is provided by kvic, not me.

Well said. There's also the sixth area: The users workbench. A variety of routers, devices connected and attached to the router and his/her own ventures into the scripts and coding world.
Overall a very entertaining theme park to visit, full of wonders and surprises and the opportunity to learn and gain a lot.
I'm trying to tame syslog-ng. I'm working on an installer script for syslog-ng and logrotate, which should be made easier when Entware pulls in the next release of syslog-ng from OpenWRT. But coding is not my day job, so it's evenings and weekends, and I need to get back on my bicycle as well. :)

I'm working on an installer script for syslog-ng and logrotate
Happy to help. I'd been thinking this was a candidate for amtm. I'll post over in the other thread.

well, all good in the hood by all accounts. Thanks Adamm. I wish my bank account had a built in swap file.
Regards,
It does, it's called credit. Not as simple to enable as the swap file in amtm though.

Someone made a dedicated site and domain to explain? Woah. :D
.... I code some scripts and have a website for it. What's unusual about that?

It’s unusual because he registered a highly specific domain for probably $10/yr to answer one very specific question.

Worth it if you ask me.

How many people still ask this question about linux.

Guy is doing a public service. I would donate if he had a button on the site lol.

amtm Disk Check Feature Request: Ensure first USB drive partition is always checked first
Just rebooted router and second, non-Entware partition was checked first unlike two prior reboots. Perhaps something as mundane as a simple sort would ensure that this never happens again.
Code:
 /jffs/amtm-disk-check.log has this content:

START FILE, --- lines are not part of file
 ---------------------------------------------------

Sat May  5 01:05:15 EDT 2018 Starting 'e2fsck -p /dev/sda1'
 ent primary superblock features different from backup, check forced.
 ent: 800/786432 files (1.0% non-contiguous), 1330133/3144704 blocks

Tue Feb  5 10:00:16 EST 2019 Starting 'e2fsck -p /dev/sda2'
 smb primary superblock features different from backup, check forced.
 smb: 32/26214400 files (0.0% non-contiguous), 1648330/26214400 blocks

Fri Feb  8 23:52:54 EST 2019 Starting 'e2fsck -p /dev/sda1'
 ent has been mounted 1 times without being checked, check forced.
 ent: 947/786432 files (1.1% non-contiguous), 1384004/3144704 blocks

Fri Feb  8 23:53:01 EST 2019 Starting 'e2fsck -p /dev/sda2'
 smb has been mounted 1 times without being checked, check forced.
 smb: 49/26214400 files (0.0% non-contiguous), 1648358/26214400 blocks

Fri Feb 22 15:43:55 EST 2019 Starting 'e2fsck -p /dev/sda2'
 smb: 143/26214400 files (0.0% non-contiguous), 1652106/26214400 blocks

Fri Feb 22 15:44:24 EST 2019 Starting 'e2fsck -p /dev/sda1'
 ent: 1034/786432 files (2.1% non-contiguous), 1420181/3144704 blocks
 END FILE
A full e2fsck of sda1 only takes two seconds (I used tune2fs to ensure it is a full check each time)
Code:
May  5 01:05:15 router amtm: Running disk check 'e2fsck -p' on /dev/sda1
May  5 01:05:17 router amtm: Disk check done on /dev/sda1
Feb  5 10:00:16 router amtm: Running disk check 'e2fsck -p' on /dev/sda2
Feb  5 10:00:46 router amtm: Disk check done on /dev/sda2
Feb  8 23:52:54 router amtm: Running disk check 'e2fsck -p' on /dev/sda1
Feb  8 23:52:56 router amtm: Disk check done on /dev/sda1
Feb  8 23:53:01 router amtm: Running disk check 'e2fsck -p' on /dev/sda2
Feb  8 23:53:31 router amtm: Disk check done on /dev/sda2
Feb 22 15:43:55 router amtm: Running disk check 'e2fsck -p' on /dev/sda2
Feb 22 15:44:23 router amtm: Disk check done on /dev/sda2
Feb 22 15:44:24 router amtm: Running disk check 'e2fsck -p' on /dev/sda1
Feb 22 15:44:26 router amtm: Disk check done on /dev/sda1

amtm Disk Check Feature Request: Ensure first USB drive partition is always checked first
Just rebooted router and second, non-Entware partition was checked first unlike two prior reboots. Perhaps something as mundane as a simple sort would ensure that this never happens again.
Code:
 /jffs/amtm-disk-check.log has this content:

START FILE, --- lines are not part of file

Sat May  5 01:05:15 EDT 2018 Starting 'e2fsck -p /dev/sda1'
 ent primary superblock features different from backup, check forced.
 ent: 800/786432 files (1.0% non-contiguous), 1330133/3144704 blocks

Tue Feb  5 10:00:16 EST 2019 Starting 'e2fsck -p /dev/sda2'
 smb primary superblock features different from backup, check forced.
 smb: 32/26214400 files (0.0% non-contiguous), 1648330/26214400 blocks

Fri Feb  8 23:52:54 EST 2019 Starting 'e2fsck -p /dev/sda1'
 ent: 947/786432 files (1.1% non-contiguous), 1384004/3144704 blocks

Fri Feb  8 23:53:01 EST 2019 Starting 'e2fsck -p /dev/sda2'
 smb: 49/26214400 files (0.0% non-contiguous), 1648358/26214400 blocks

Fri Feb 22 15:43:55 EST 2019 Starting 'e2fsck -p /dev/sda2'
 smb: 143/26214400 files (0.0% non-contiguous), 1652106/26214400 blocks

Fri Feb 22 15:44:24 EST 2019 Starting 'e2fsck -p /dev/sda1'
 ent: 1034/786432 files (2.1% non-contiguous), 1420181/3144704 blocks
 END FILE
A full e2fsck of sda1 only takes two seconds (I used tune2fs to ensure it is a full check each time)
Code:
May  5 01:05:15 router amtm: Running disk check 'e2fsck -p' on /dev/sda1
May  5 01:05:17 router amtm: Disk check done on /dev/sda1
Feb  5 10:00:16 router amtm: Running disk check 'e2fsck -p' on /dev/sda2
Feb  5 10:00:46 router amtm: Disk check done on /dev/sda2
Feb  8 23:52:54 router amtm: Running disk check 'e2fsck -p' on /dev/sda1
Feb  8 23:52:56 router amtm: Disk check done on /dev/sda1
Feb  8 23:53:01 router amtm: Running disk check 'e2fsck -p' on /dev/sda2
Feb  8 23:53:31 router amtm: Disk check done on /dev/sda2
Feb 22 15:43:55 router amtm: Running disk check 'e2fsck -p' on /dev/sda2
Feb 22 15:44:23 router amtm: Disk check done on /dev/sda2
Feb 22 15:44:24 router amtm: Running disk check 'e2fsck -p' on /dev/sda1
Feb 22 15:44:26 router amtm: Disk check done on /dev/sda1
That's up to the firmware, not the script which partition gets mounted first.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!