What's new

amtm amtm - the Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

A sort of amtm usage help/self education page has been added to the website.
That’s really helpful, Martin. It’s made me realise there are 23 Entware packages that have updates available. Up to now, I have never even looked at those packages, let alone update any. And I’m reluctant to update without knowing the implications. For example, I know that any Entware packages that Diversion needs will be updated automatically behind the scenes when Diversion updates.

However, there are Entware packages that I know I use (even if infrequently) eg openssh-sftp-server and opkg. And there are packages I suspect I use but perhaps from within the other scripts and maybe from within Merlin’s firmware eg logrotate, syslog-ng and ntpd, which again I assume get updated with the relevant script.

So my question is: by manually updating all Entware packages, might I perhaps break one of the scripts by causing it to use a newer version of a package for which it might not yet be compatible, or is it safe to update all Entware packages regardless?

Regarding FreshJR_QOS during an update check: it’s still acceptable to customize the script locally with additional rules that won’t fit into the GUI fields. Therefore, the md5 comparison for checking for updates might be less than ideal. amtm shows a minor update available for me, which is not true, it just means my local script is not identical to the remote one. If I update, I would lose my custom changes.

I may be in the minority for all I know, but in this case perhaps a straight version number comparison is better? I’d still face the same issue when a real version update is available, but at least it would be for the right reason.

Regarding FreshJR_QOS during an update check: it’s still acceptable to customize the script locally with additional rules that won’t fit into the GUI fields. Therefore, the md5 comparison for checking for updates might be less than ideal. amtm shows a minor update available for me, which is not true, it just means my local script is not identical to the remote one. If I update, I would lose my custom changes.

I may be in the minority for all I know, but in this case perhaps a straight version number comparison is better? I’d still face the same issue when a real version update is available, but at least it would be for the right reason.
There is that real chance that the OP updates his script. In which case both, the md5sum and version number check make sense.
I can't accommodate every situation. Use your brain :D and don't update.

That’s really helpful, Martin. It’s made me realise there are 23 Entware packages that have updates available. Up to now, I have never even looked at those packages, let alone update any. And I’m reluctant to update without knowing the implications. For example, I know that any Entware packages that Diversion needs will be updated automatically behind the scenes when Diversion updates.

However, there are Entware packages that I know I use (even if infrequently) eg openssh-sftp-server and opkg. And there are packages I suspect I use but perhaps from within the other scripts and maybe from within Merlin’s firmware eg logrotate, syslog-ng and ntpd, which again I assume get updated with the relevant script.

So my question is: by manually updating all Entware packages, might I perhaps break one of the scripts by causing it to use a newer version of a package for which it might not yet be compatible, or is it safe to update all Entware packages regardless?
Diversion does not automatically update Entware packages during a Diversion update, never has. I may update the list of available packages but not the packages itself unless invoked through ep, 6.
In most cases, it's safe to update Entware packages, except for the case where scribe is installed, but then you'd know that.
From the Diversion point of view, it does not matter which way you update Entware packages, as long as you do it through amtm or Diversion.

Diversion does not automatically update Entware packages during a Diversion update, never has. ....
Perhaps I was getting mixed up: is it pixelserv-tls that automatically updates an Entware package it relies on, and problems can be caused by the user independently updating that particular package?

In most cases, it's safe to update Entware packages, except for the case where scribe is installed, but then you'd know that......
Got to be honest, no, I didn’t know that; it therefore shows one needs to be a little circumspect before updating Entware packages willy-nilly.

Many thanks.

There is that real chance that the OP updates his script. In which case both, the md5sum and version number check make sense.
I can't accommodate every situation. Use your brain :D and don't update.

Doh, really? I have to use my brain? :D o_O

shutterstock-162373838-no-easy-button.png

Last edited:
@Butterfly Bones : First time I've seen a downgrade arrow. So how is it you have 2.1.3 scribe?

Went to update Diversion and when i used u to update Skynet and FreshJR's scripts were showing upd err.
Tried Skynet manuall but said stopping update because of error.

Went to update Diversion and when i used u to update Skynet and FreshJR's scripts were showing upd err.
Tried Skynet manuall but said stopping update because of error.

Post the exact error so we can assist you further.

See if you can ping https://raw.githubusercontent.com from the ssh terminal.
I couldnt ping from the ssh terminal but never used that before.
I tried cmd and it said it could not find the host.
chrome showed privacy error.

I know spain have blocked a certain file from github related to the political situation here.....could that be it?
Never had the issue before.
Diversion worked fine but i presume thats from another source>

I couldnt ping from the ssh terminal but never used that before.
I tried cmd and it said it could not find the host.
chrome showed privacy error.

I know spain have blocked a certain file from github related to the political situation here.....could that be it?
Never had the issue before.
Diversion worked fine but i presume thats from another source>

Sounds like that is probably the issue as these scripts are hosted on github. Have you tried swapping to a third party DNS provider like cloudflare (1.1.1.1 / 1.0.0.1), assuming they are using DNS blocking that should bypass it.

I just had a very brief play with amtm v=3.0.

Problem: I need to use my RT-AC68U (Merlin 384.13) to connect to my ISP via PPPoE, but with amtm installed the PPPoE username/password (both in GUI and nvram) kept setting themselves to the router "admin" username/password. I was unable to over-ride this, and unable to connect to my ISP/internet with amtm installed.

Removed amtm, restored previous settings, and now I'm back online.

Problem: I need to use my RT-AC68U (Merlin 384.13) to connect to my ISP via PPPoE, but with amtm installed the PPPoE username/password (both in GUI and nvram) kept setting themselves to the router "admin" username/password. I was unable to over-ride this, and unable to connect to my ISP/internet with amtm installed.

This sounds more like a browser extension autofilling, I don't think amtm goes near isp nvram at all.

No way amtm does any of that. Period.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!