What's new

android tether not sharing on my RT-AC66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

botte

Occasional Visitor
Hello all!

I searched for hours solution to my problem and start to get crazy, hopefully somebody will know what's going wrong with my conf.
I have an Asus RT-AC66U v1, the first one without USB 3.

I tried the latest fork from merlin available here, but I am not able to use repeater mode on it (despite resetting all parameters incl. nvram.)
I remember trying it a while ago (older version) and it was doing the same: when using the repeater mode, when I reach the page to choose the wireless I want to connect to, the list stays empty. Same with latest version.
So I got back to latest asus firmware.
And this page shows well, I can connect to my cellphone sharing my mobile connection.
The router says it's connected, have its IP, I can also see it on the phone.
When I ping www.google.com from router it replies well.
But when I connect a laptop or anything to the newly created access point, it gets an IP adress attributed, but I cannot reach internet at all.

There doesn't seem to be any ttl limitation with my provider.

When sharing the connection from my phone (S10) to my router through USB, it works a bit at the beginning but quickly gets very slow, then not working.

Ideally anyway I'd like to have it working over phone wifi tethering.

I just moved to a place where I have no fiber/DSL internet, help would be greatly welcomed!
Thanks in advance

I would suggest you move to the latest RMerlin fork by @john9527 which is kept much more up-to-date.

Release - [Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374 LTS release 46E8 | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.com)

Be sure to follow and read all the notes on the first few posts to get it installed and running as smoothly as possible.
Yes this is the one I tried but where network list stays empty when activating repeater mode was doing this with older version around 5 month ago and still on latest one in this thread u mentioned

After flashing that firmware, did you do a full reset to factory defaults on it? Without using a saved backup config file afterward?

This latest firmware is from Christmas eve, 2020. If this isn't working, I don't expect anything else to work.

But when I connect a laptop or anything to the newly created access point, it gets an IP adress attributed, but I cannot reach internet at all.
Are you getting a valid gateway address and/or a valid DNS ? check DHCP properties on device (laptop ea. ipconfig/all)

After flashing that firmware, did you do a full reset to factory defaults on it? Without using a saved backup config file afterward?

This latest firmware is from Christmas eve, 2020. If this isn't working, I don't expect anything else to work.
Yes, I do full factory reset and do not restore any saved backup.

I indeed used christmas 2020 version.

It's weird that I have this problem, I searched the thread and found no one with a similar issue :-(
The weird thing is that I don't have that particular issue (surrounding networki list not showing when activating repeater mode) on official asus firmware.

For now I found a solution using a little xiaomi mi router now which connects to my phone, and which is connected to asus to share the network in the house. Will do the trick for now :) even if i'd love to have everything on the asus at some point

I'm a bit confused on exactly what you are trying to do. None of the asuswrt firmware supports WISP mode (connecting to the phone wireless and using it as a WAN connection). Tethering via a USB connect to the phone on the primary router is all that is supported.

@john9527 has probably nailed it, but you may want to try the following to get your router back to a good/known state and possibly rule out any configuration or hardware issue.

Fully Reset Router and Network

I'm a bit confused on exactly what you are trying to do. None of the asuswrt firmware supports WISP mode (connecting to the phone wireless and using it as a WAN connection). Tethering via a USB connect to the phone on the primary router is all that is supported.
oh, that I didn't know.

indeed that's what I wanted to do initially. But also couldn't get the phone to work correctly in USB mode (works very slowly a few minutes then not loading anything anymore).

do you know of any alternative firmware I can use to do that ?

Thanks sir

edit: might give a shot to advancedtomato latest firmware, do you guys know if it is stable ? no update since 2017

Last edited: