What's new

ANNOUNCEMENT: Asuswrt-Merlin support underway for 3 Wifi 7 routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin firmware is my bet. We'll get 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware via RMerlin's fork when it's ready (stock is sure to be full of bugs).

Hi everyone,

I am now able to officially announce support for three different Wifi 7 routers is currently under development, to be part of the 3006.102.1 release:

RT-BE96U
GT-BE98_PRO
GT-BE98 (by Gnuton)

View attachment 58755

Things are still too early to have any kind of ETA, even for snapshot builds, as there are a number of things still needing to be done, as this means not only new devices, but also a new technology (Wifi 7) and a new codebase (Asuswrt 3.0.0.6).

As previously indicated in the 3006 discussion thread, I will use the occasion of the move to 3006 to implement a number of changes that might not be 100% backward compatible with 3004 in terms of behaviour or third party addon compatibility. Here are some of the things I have noted down so far (so I don't forget to include them in the future changelog):

Code:
- VPN client tables changed, to integrate into Asus's SDN/Fusion layout.
  /etc/iproute2/rt_tables points to the new tables, so using names is unchanged.

- Due to growing differences between stock and Merlin, going from stock to Merlin
  when anything related to VPNs was already configured should ideally get a factory
  default reset, as SDN indexes won't match.
 (TODO: possibly investigate clearing these two in format.c?)

- NFS not supported on WIfi 7 devices (compatibility issues between nfs-utils
  and the new glibc these devices use)

- Removed option dns_local_cache from Tools -> Tweak settings, to avoid issues with SDN networks
  that run their own dnsmasq instances.

- OpenVPN: merged stop/start toggle with the Start with WAN into a single "Enable client" option,
  to match WireGuard, and also simplify things.  Enabling a client will start it, and it will also
  auto start at WAN up until it gets disabled.

- dnsmasq-INDEX.conf.add, stubby-INDEX.yml.add are appended to SDN config files (INDEX = SDN index value)

- dnsmasq-sdn.postconf and stubby-sdn.postconf are executed, with first argument being the path to
  the config filename for that SDN index, and the second argument is the SDN index number.

- Third party devs: chart.js was upgraded from 2.x to 3.x, which is not backward compatible.

On supported models, Asuswrt-Merlin 3006 will include support for VLAN and Guest Network Pro (SDN). VPN Director will remain Asuswrt-Merlin's method of handling VPN client routing, although Guest Network Pro rules will have a higher priority over VPNDirector rules.

I am also doing some housekeeping in the 3006 branch, such as removing the binary blobs + SDK for WIfi 5 devices, as these will never be supported by 3006 - this will speed things up a bit for us devs by reducing the amount of files to be checked out by git.

For the time being things are still being developed on a private git repo due to frequent git history cleanups. I'm planning on possibly moving the 3006 branch to the public git over the coming days, depending on how things go with the cleanup and reconciliating both repos.

Just to reiterate: don't ask for any ETA on availability, or for support for other models. 3006.102.1 will only support these three models, and we will re-evaluate things after that realease is finalized on any other potential device to support. These must be picked in collaboration with Asus as GPL code and device samples (in the case of new devices) are necessary for each individual model.
Thanks, Eric. Just reordered GT-BE98_PRO.

Only the GT-BE98 is available in Europe. I wouldn't use the Gnuton version.
So I will stay with the existing gt-axe16000 router

At this price and if you need more than one - better explore available SMB options. May come close to more capable firewall, PoE switch and APs on already well established ecosystem with full VLAN support. With some tinkering and DIY may come even cheaper... including DIY RGB lights on top, if needed.

I don’t know how you guys justify those prices. But for me this insane cost for a consumer level HOME ROUTER even high end is not something I would spend money on.

I was kinda okay with some models for 300-400-500 USD but anything above that no matter WiFi 7 or custom VLANs does not make any sense.

We went from 350-400 high end to 800 high end in couple years 🤣 thanks but no thanks

There is only one way to justify those prices.

Test and compare the networking experience to your present router/network, directly. And, the market/current prices are kind of out of our control. Either pay now if your testing shows enough network improvements to justify the cost, or, at the very least, wait for a sale price for the model you tested and are interested in.

A hard budget will automatically remove these options from our purchasing decisions. However, some are more than willing to pay what the current market is worth if the improvement to their network is above their threshold.

There is only one way to justify those prices.

Test and compare the networking experience to your present router/network, directly. And, the market/current prices are kind of out of our control. Either pay now if your testing shows enough network improvements to justify the cost, or, at the very least, wait for a sale price for the model you tested and are interested in.

A hard budget will automatically remove these options from our purchasing decisions. However, some are more than willing to pay what the current market is worth if the improvement to their network is above their threshold.

Agreed!

I was just expressing my personal opinion.

Yup, that is all we share here (our personal opinions). :)

If that GT-BE98_PRO doesn't come with a fax port for my fax machine at that price, then I ain't getting one! 😉

doesn't come with a fax port

This was discussed already. It was an expected feature, but seems like affordable price took priority.

This was discussed already. It was an expected feature, but seems like affordable price took priority.

Dual fax fail over? I'm totally in!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!