What's new

another "need help picking out router/bridge" thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ezlot

New Around Here
Ok so a lot of this lingo is confusing me for me. I know about routers, the concept of bridges/adaptors start to confuse me. Here is what I would like:

My home office is at one end of the house. It will have a Mac Pro laptop, an older Win XP desktop, ReadyNAS NV+ and a wireless (or ethernet enabled) printer/fax/scanner.

On the same floor, but of course opposite end of the house, I have my media center with a TV, Blu Ray, Wii and AVR which are all network-capable.

I was thinking Linksys E3000 in the office, and then what for the media area? Someone mentioned the dlink wireless bridge which has 4 gigbit ports to "hardwire" the media components. I also saw the Linksys Powerline unit, but I've heard powerline units are hit or miss.

What would be the "best" set up to get a reliable and strong connection to my AVR. Does it need to be 2.4ghz or 5ghz, does it have to be simultaneous or just dual band N (and then I select 2.4ghz or 5ghz??), etc, that is where the options overwhelm me!

From "best" (highest bandwidth and most reliable) to worst:

1) If you can somehow do it, run Ethernet. It's the most reliable and high bandwidth way. All you need is one cable from the router to the media center, where you'll put a simple switch (10/100 is fine, you don't need Ethernet).

2) If you have cable TV drops in both rooms, try MoCA. Not really a viable option if you have satellite TV because the frequencies used collide.
Ethernet from your TV Outlet: NETGEAR MoCA Coax-Ethernet Adapter Kit Reviewed
More MoCA: D-Link DXN-221 & Actiontec ECB2200 Reviewed

3) Powerline: Use two of the same make and model adapter or buy a kit with a pair of adapters. Get a "200 Mbps" adapter (HomePlug AV).

4) Wireless: You would use a wireless bridge in your media room. If the one you get has multiple Ethernet ports, you're set. Otherwise connect it to a switch. This article may help:
Everything You Need To Know About Wireless Bridging and Repeating - Part 2: No WDS Required

Use 2.4 GHz, single band. 5 GHz doesn't go as far. You can buy a dual-band bridge if you want (and if you have a dual-band router) and experiment with 5 GHz. But you'll probably use 2.4 GHz if you end up using wireless at all.

Unless you go with option 1, buy whatever you buy from a place with a no-hassle return policy and no / minimum restock fee. That probably means a local store vs. internet order. You might pay more, but it'll be less hassle in the end.

Ethernet runs are not possible, too far of a distance, too much drilling/running cables and it is a rental house, etc.

I saw the MoCA during my research, the end adapter that would go in the media cabinet only has 1 Ethernet input. Could I get a 10/100 switch?

I've heard that powerline are really hit or miss depending on the wiring in the house. This house is a good 30-40 years old, and do not think the wiring has had a major overhaul recently.

So I think I'd lean towards MoCA or the wireless bridge.

10/100 is ok, do I "need" gigabit for these media applications?

You can add a switch to the MoCA adapter. 10/100 will do, you don't need Gigabit.

The biggest problems for powerline come from noise sources and AFCI circuit breakers, not old wiring. I would not rule it out.

You can add a switch to the MoCA adapter. 10/100 will do, you don't need Gigabit.

The biggest problems for powerline come from noise sources and AFCI circuit breakers, not old wiring. I would not rule it out.

yes, that's why I went MoCA. Great solution. Lots of horror stories about power line IP data. Not the least of which is interconnecting the phases we use in No. American power; same problem as X10, but at MHz frequencies.

But this is moot if you don't have TV coax in the right place.