What's new

Another new router entry on the FCC: GT-AC9600

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ticket buys the whole seat, but you'll only need the edge :D

Hardware should be fine - software might be a challenge...

Can't evaluate the hardware until we see how it's implemented. Remember the RT-AC87U where they chose to sit the 5 GHz radio on RGMII instead of PCI-E, neutering a good portion of the Quantenna and Realtek's capabilities.

There's nowhere in the code stating that, and in fact some information I had from other sources are telling me this is NOT the actual configuration.

I got it wrong, after checking it again and based on the code I see the same configuration as BRT-AC828 (2x WAN + 8x LAN Gbit) + 4x LAN (Gbit) (switch2) + 4/5x LAN (10Gbit) (aqr107)

2x WAN + 16x LAN ports it seems. :)

But let's wait and see how the final product config will be...

Last edited:
I got it wrong, after checking it again and based on the code I see the same configuration as BRT-AC828 (2x WAN + 8x LAN Gbit) + 4x LAN (Gbit) (switch2) + 4/5x LAN (10Gbit) (aqr107)

2x WAN + 16x LAN ports it seems. :)

But let's wait and see how the final product config will be...

Just because the chip is there doesn't mean that all the physical ports are there as well. Look at the RT-AC87U for instance, only one of the Realtek ports is exposed to the user.

Indeed, everything is possible, let's wait and see...

It's not impossible, is it? Things could have changed, it's a 10Gbit "girlfriend" now... :D

Can't evaluate the hardware until we see how it's implemented. Remember the RT-AC87U where they chose to sit the 5 GHz radio on RGMII instead of PCI-E, neutering a good portion of the Quantenna and Realtek's capabilities.

It'll be ok - the RT-AC87U experiment was, I believe, a one-off that met the time to market needs - and while folks might gripe about the quality of the product, one also has to consider that there are the silent majority where the device has no problems...

I'll be keeping an open mind with the upcoming device...

See "Quantenna" reminds me of my ac87u, do not know the stability of this time?

See "Quantenna" reminds me of my ac87u, do not know the stability of this time?

Could be better, could be just as bad - impossible to know. What doesn't reassure me is that it's, once again, a brand new chip, that hasn't been used by anyone else, and therefore might not be as well tested with all the existing clients out there. Broadcom/Qualcomm's chips however tend to be more widely tested, and therefore better validated for compatibility.

Could be better, could be just as bad - impossible to know. What doesn't reassure me is that it's, once again, a brand new chip, that hasn't been used by anyone else, and therefore might not be as well tested with all the existing clients out there. Broadcom/Qualcomm's chips however tend to be more widely tested, and therefore better validated for compatibility.

It's a brittle and old code base that the 87U was built on... and that's kinda why the Quantenna experiment was rather challenged... only so much one can do - and there, within constraints, Asus and QTN did the best they could, given time to market... it's also stressed the limits of the BSP in play at the time.

AsusWRT is turning into the iPad Zombie of router/AP's- it's an old code base that goes back 20 years (WRT54G public release from Linksys), which impacts everything - and the newer chips are so very much better these days - and so is linux in general - from the kernel to the libc to the compiler, esp with ARM...

With the new BSP - maybe much better* - but there's gonna be bugs... and plenty of them - moving from 2.6 to 4.x is a really big jump for AsusWRT...

* so far, it does look so, but feedback also is, yes, bugs, which is expected...

Most probably, the ASUS GT-AC9600 router will make it's appearance during Computex Taipei 2017 from 30th May 2017 - 3rd June 2017.

And if one looks @ it's label carefully, it's slated as 3.0.0.4.380. XXXX at the moment, whether it will get bumped to 382.XXXX, who knows until the shipping version is out.

Then we will know more .... too many variables in play.

Most probably, the ASUS GT-AC9600 router will make it's appearance during Computex Taipei 2017 from 30th May 2017 - 3rd June 2017.

And if one looks @ it's label carefully, it's slated as 3.0.0.4.380. XXXX at the moment, whether it will get bumped to 382.XXXX, who knows until the shipping version is out.

Then we will know more .... too many variables in play.

Since it's part of the GT line, that means they'll want most (if not all) the gaming-oriented features that were implemented in 382. So, I'd be very surprised to see the product launch based on 380 code.

Looking at the specs at the wiki....this new beast is going to have 8x8 MIMO, and I bet it's going to get touted as having a whooping "9600 Mbps" blazing speed, with a cool new price tag of $499 to draw all the suckers in. LOL Routers seems to have the same price hike trend as the desktop motherboard. The lack of proper clients to support the current 4x4 mu-mimo is already depressing, with all these new features being pumped out by these companies with practically zero clients to utilize them is simply false advertisement.

Internal and external photos are available now at the FCC database.

My interpretation:

1x SFP+ (10GbE)
1x 10GbE LAN (AQR107)
8x 1GbE LAN (Realtek RTL8370MB switch)
1x 1GbE WAN (Atheros AR8035)

asus_9600AC.png asus_9600AC_in.png

Last edited:
Interesting that its been six months since it hit the FCC and still not released to the public. I wasn't aware that it could take that long.

Wasn’t a fan of the AC/GT5300 design, probably because I’m ocd about symmetry, this one however looks kinda nice, looks like sea urchin.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!