What's new

Another "which is better"" newbie

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dREMAr

New Around Here
Ok...sorry.
Routers confuse me.
I. Have 100/100 fiber cable to flat (recently upgraded from 100/10 for LESS money after a phone call to ISP...they also confuse me🤨).
Had a Netgear nighthawk 1900 R7000 that after 8 years for some reason DIEDon me. They don't make thinks to last like in the old days, with pulleys and chains etc. BLAH!
Anyway have for some reason narrowed it down to these three Asus routers(Netgear are too much dosh for my pocket...Dosh = money...not Denial of stupid homosapiens ,,, or something).
Would appreciate any input...thanks in advance.

No1​

ASUS TUF-AX4200 Gaming Router / Dual Band / WiFi 6​

Trådlös router /
1490 kronor

No2

ASUS TUF-AX3000 V2 / AX3000 / Dual Band / WiFi 6 Gaming Router​

1190 kronor

No3

Asus RT-AX58U Trådlös router AX3000​

1390 kronor

Very little price difference here ..only 100 kronor = £ 8.00

Could post links if that helps but understand that's not always appreciated.

Thanks again ...if you managed to stay awake.

Ok...sorry.
Routers confuse me.
I. Have 100/100 fiber cable to flat (recently upgraded from 100/10 for LESS money after a phone call to ISP...they also confuse me🤨).
Had a Netgear nighthawk 1900 R7000 that after 8 years for some reason DIEDon me. They don't make thinks to last like in the old days, with pulleys and chains etc. BLAH!
Anyway have for some reason narrowed it down to these three Asus routers(Netgear are too much dosh for my pocket...Dosh = money...not Denial of stupid homosapiens ,,, or something).
Would appreciate any input...thanks in advance.

No1​

Trådlös router /
1490 kronor

No2

ASUS TUF-AX3000 V2 / AX3000 / Dual Band / WiFi 6 Gaming Router​

1190 kronor

No3

1390 kronor

Very little price difference here ..only 100 kronor = £ 8.00

Could post links if that helps but understand that's not always appreciated.

Thanks again ...if you managed to stay awake.

Any old AC router will do 100/100 without breaking a sweat. Are you looking for increased wireless throughput on your LAN or something? For that speed, unless you need special features or something just get an inexpensive TP Link Archer or an Asus AC (avoid the AC86U). Technically you could get away with a 100M WAN port even, but that would limit your throughput to a bit under 100M due to overhead so gig is a good idea for future speed upgrades too).

8 years out of a home router is very good, that was probably one of the best netgear routers.

No sense in investing in a high end AX router if it won't get you any speed, and Wifi 6e and 7 are already out and will be coming down in price, and since you don't need anything that fast at this point, save some money and just get one that does what you need.

Thanks drinkingbird for the reply.
AC routers in very short supply..seem to be Asus ax models the Asus ax 53 u is 900 kronor here from a recognised supplier. All the above are on offer with 500 or so kronor discount.
I watch live football/soccer and will no doubt be buying a new smart TV soon as my old smart TV is starting to turn it self off (they don't make things like they used to...damn at 60+ years i realised... I'm my dad). So want good 4k stream support and we run up to 9 mobiles when kids/ etc are visiting and son might be at home a while with gaming pc and console.
AND yes I panic when I don't understand the tech but just trying to buy best bang for buck with a bit if not now out dated WiFi 6. Wife has modern Samsung phone so that could use the WiFi 6 .
Any thoughts on the three models.
Cheers

I have 100/100 fiber and run an AX86U Pro and an AX86U mesh node. Worth the money! Tried the AX58U and sent it back. Sure, it worked but I wanted something better.

bbunge thanks. That router is at 3500 kronor out of my pocket range.
But food for thought.
Seems

No1​

Trådlös router /
1490 kronor
Is better spec'd
Than

1390 kronor
and only 100 kronor difference (£8...$5-10)
But always wary when I see "Gameing" thinking that I am paying for flashing lights and getting less quality components.

Thanks for the personal experience .

You might want to look at the RT-AX59U which seems to be in the "Pro" series of routers.

Unfortunately that's up at 2000 kronor. My original budget was up to 1001 kronor😃
Appreciate the suggestion though.Thanks.
Do you know if the Asus tuf ax 4200 is a better router spec wise than the Asus RT ax 58u ? They are as much the same price
Thanks again👍

Unfortunately that's up at 2000 kronor. My original budget was up to 1001 kronor😃
Do you know if the Asus tuf ax 4200 is a better router spec wise than the Asus RT ax 58u ? They are as much the same price
Thanks again👍

If you can add a little more money, go for a MikroTik hAP ax². It's a very good router:

Around 1399 Swedish kronor. $129 I think it is.

Thanks again👍

Strictly spec wise, the TUF is much better and for $5 to $10 more seems like a no brainer. But I personally don't have any experience with either one. Honestly either will fit your needs and have tons of room for growth. TUF has a quad 2 ghz vs tri 1.5ghz CPU and faster wifi data rate (of course not many devices will be able to connect at that rate though).

Thanks NoYB for the suggestion.
Thanks drinkingbird for confirming that the tuf router was better spec'd.
I am aiming for the Asus tuf4200 then subject to the Mrs's approval... 🤞 Otherwise process starts allover again 😱😰😵‍💫 and finally tears.
Cheers
Ps thanks to bbunge for your invaluable input.

@dREMAr, what is the aim of this router purchase?

What problem are you trying to solve?

What are your ISP speeds up/down currently? What are they expected to be in the medium/far future (1-3 years from now)?

I understand that you face a tough budget, but none of these models are worth considering. Certainly not for the time frame you're expecting from a new router.

Hi L&LD
Present router died ..Nighthawk 1900 R7000.
TV about to die so will be buying a new one with better picture quality. I watch live football streams, Viaplay, Netflix. Wife has a newish Samsung phone. We listen to Spotify etc etc
I may get back into some gaming either via console or preferably pc though pcs are probably too expensive. Older sons and their spouse have mobiles when they visit, tabs etc. What my future needs will be I don't know. Just that it is worth for me paying 1400 instead of 900 kronor to have a router that has ok components and hopefully will last 3 years. 500 kronor is one months subscription to Viaplay and if a reliable wifi connection can be achieved to avoid buffering then for me it's worth it...
Or are you saying I need something better?
Thanks

Hi L&LD
Present router died ..Nighthawk 1900 R7000.
TV about to die so will be buying a new one with better picture quality. I watch live football streams, Viaplay, Netflix. Wife has a newish Samsung phone. We listen to Spotify etc etc
I may get back into some gaming either via console or preferably pc though pcs are probably too expensive. Older sons and their spouse have mobiles when they visit, tabs etc. What my future needs will be I don't know. Just that it is worth for me paying 1400 instead of 900 kronor to have a router that has ok components and hopefully will last 3 years. 500 kronor is one months subscription to Viaplay and if a reliable wifi connection can be achieved to avoid buffering then for me it's worth it...
Or are you saying I need something better?
Thanks

If you buy the one I recommended above, you get a good router that will last 10 years or similar. MikroTik supports its routers for a very long time. You will get tired of the router before it stops being supported.

When it comes to cheap routers, MikroTik is your friend! What you may have problems with is that they are quite advanced to deal with. If you get over that part, they can do most things in networking.

If 500 kronor is one month's subscription to Viaplay, then a router purchase should be more than 1,400 kronor, IMO.

I would suggest the GT-AX6000 today for a new purchase. You not only have to think about the cost but other factors as well.

One of those factors is that the GT-AX6000 will receive 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware and future updates, while lessor models may not. While also giving you a superior experience too over the next three years.

It sounds like your budget is artificially set. Compare the costs of routers worth buying today, at their current (today's) levels. Wait for a sale if possible, but the list of models you have I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole.

What does a GT-AX6000 purchase buy you today? Proven stability and reliability, the best bang for the buck hardware. Future upgradability to greater than 1Gbps ISP speeds and/or LAN use. RMerlin support. Excellent performance.

Vs. the models you are considering which save you a few kronor today, but will never approach that level of stability or performance (I had the RT-AX58U for a few moments).

Your call, of course. At the very least, I would buy both (one from your list and the GT-AX6000 or possibly the RT-AX88U PRO), test them in your environment, and return the lesser model after your tests.

It's because visplay is 500 sek / month that I have to keep the budget down. For 500 sek month I get 4 to 5 live games plus all other premier and championship matches plus Bundesliga . Of I was in England just to go see 1 match would've around 500 sek.
Thanks for the advice and I am 100% sure you are right .

It's because visplay is 500 sek / month that I have to keep the budget down. For 500 sek month I get 4 to 5 live games plus all other premier and championship matches plus Bundesliga . Of I was in England just to go see 1 match would've around 500 sek.
Thanks for the advice and I am 100% sure you are right .

I know this has little to do with the thread. But are you from Sweden? Maybe it will be easier to tip about prices and routers then. However, I stand firm with MikroTik as a good choice. I have worked with MikroTik routers for many years, and more stable routers are hard to come by. Even the price is usually good! You can have uptime several years without problems on them.

I have around 10 different routers here at home and none is as stable as my hEX S which by the way is one of the cheapest. Last purchase I made was an Asus AX86U which is pretty good, (hardware). But Asus is not good at firmware in my opinion. Asuswrt-Merlin makes it useful. However, I have only tested Asus routers 4-5 months so am not fully into them yet.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!